Sign in to follow this  
Dhubad.

Somalia in 1978 - Pics

Kash, sure. Bang that drum.

The brothers' vehement defence of anything hijab-related raises an eye-brow. Do some men secretly wish they could wear it, I wonder? What other explanation?

juba   

I agree with Castro that the jilbab is a drastic change and much because of the strife. Then again i agree it is part of Islam and a good thing. But do you really think i could suddenly burst out of a hut in jeans and a shirt in Somalia w/o getting hurt? come on lets be realistic it is not a choice

Originally posted by Kashanre:

So somehow you
know
what Somali want or
how
they think :confused:

No, not at all. A complete mischaracterization of what I said that has left me scratching my head since I said nothing to that effect. I simply recounted popularity or lack of for the Hijab in pre-war Somalia. Pointing out, to the best of my knowledge, there were no dress laws. So based on history, I can say Somali women chose the traditional, local attire over the Hijab. That is simple reiteration of historical fact. Whether they will make the same choice in the future, I don't honestly know.

One thing you cannot say is
anyone
forces our woman to wear the hijaab.

So far, true. But not likely when Rahima and Sharia people come the law. She, Rahima, is on record saying she's for Sharia and would have no qualms in foisting her choice for dress on ALL Somali girls. This is a view shared by most Sharia people.

I think FF said it all: The 'tent' is here to stay, deal with it, if you can't, tough luck brah.

Afkaaga caano lagu qabay.

P.S: This is for all rascal souls whose nature is to envy the product of principled people!

Kashafa   

Ahura, I'll try this one more time.

LoL...it's only a bit of cloth. No one's born wearing it and no one will be buried in it. Making fun of it isn't a great thing, but it's not exactly sacrilegious either.

Quote Analysis:

#1:"No one's born wearing it" = True.

#2:"and no one will be buried in it." = True

#3:"Making fun of it isn't a great thing" = True

#4:"but it's not exactly sacrilegious either" = False

3 outa 4. That's a C+. Not bad.

Not banging any drums here. Just pointing out the obvious. Making fun of Islamic rituals = very very very very naughty. and so totally uncool.

Kashanre, I don’t understand how ur point relates to mine. U seem a little too eager to incriminate me tho. Not nice.

Afro, its whatever floats your boat. I was just stating my preference.

Ducaqabe, if only I had an artistic hand and an eye for colour..... :(

Kashafa expressing one’s preference or deeming a type of hijab (i.e. jilbaab) as unattractive isn’t tantamount to ‘mocking the diin’ or for that matter even mocking the hijab as a decree from Allah. I suggest u not only go and re-read the article u pointed me to (and notice its reference to insultsdenouncement and hypocrisy) but also note the book the whole article was taken from – [1] From the TROID publication: Things that Nullify One's Islam by Shaykh al-Islam Muhammad ibn 'Abdil-Wahhaab, explained by Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan . I wouldn’t disrespect any sheikh but I’ll say that alot of scholars do not agree with all his interpretations.

Since we're all in Hijab-appreciation mode t'night, how do you wear yours ?

Mostly like below. I hope its not too revealing for your taste. icon_rolleyes.gif

79600766_9b85864e2a_m.jpg.

Originally posted by Femme Fatale:

Socod Badne & Co.

And who made you guys the spokes
men
for these somali women?

I don't know about others but speaking for myself, I'd say my conscience. Are you saying Somali men can't speak up for the rights of Somali women? They are after all their mothers, sisters, relatives and fellow compatriots. If you are, then that is intellectually untenable position you take. It is like saying white Americans have no rights standing up for black American civil rights. Imagine if they actually did that, not join the protest for equal righs, it's doubtful currents rights minorities enjoy today would be possible. Idem for women's right in america as well.

Femme Fatale, I'm no thief but I'm against thievery and thiefs. Tell me why I shouldn't be concerned about the imposition of dress codes on half of my fellow nomads?

Its funny that the same people who advocate for women's choices and rights don't accept the fact that they want to cover up but would rather strip them down to their likings.

I wouldn't be one of those people. I fully respect however way women chooses to dress. It's between them and their creator. I'm simply against the imposition of dress laws by some. I'm for choice but there is no choice in Sharia law. You know that, right? Everyone must don the Hijab whether they agree or not.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Castro:

Nice. Compare this to today where tents are the fashion du jour and schools, well that is too much of a luxury. We're well on our way to becoming Neanderthals.

^^^

Village People,

A tent is more durable then the shoe strings and grocery bags that people of your ilk call 'Fashionable Clothing' :D

The pyramid shaped Islamic apparel that is neither Islamic nor Somali. And if its proponents get their way, they'll literally whip every women to wearing it. A whole nation of Hijabed muslimahs; they'll give a whole new meaning to the saying shifting sands of arabia.

Village Member,

Stick your two-dimensional incohorent scientific theorems that you swallow ever so willingly.

When you get your own family and have daugthers talk, for now, socad kaa badne joochi :cool:

Ahura,

you're very foolish to give one of the Village People aka Castro, weight to his comment.

Incase you forgot, when you get taunted at the tube or get passed over for a job, remember this

-YOU ARE LOOKED AT AS A MUSLIMAAAAAAAAH redface.gif

The same group of people that Village Member was INSULTING. :(

I suggest that the Village People's Comment aka Castro be DELETED.

I always assumed that most of the sisters wore the jilbab because of their individual choice in regards to their way of covering their modesty.

This was until I returned home last summer....

I was surprised when my cousins(also female) and I arrived in abayaads&hijabs and were given dirty looks and sneers.At first we assumed it was because of the whole 'dhaqaan celis' vibe.Lakiin it was because we were apparently 'qaawan'...That was their exact words.There we were sweating profusely dressed in black from head to toe and I was apparently 'naked' in their eyes.

I wouldn't conform to the protests from some of the elders when they told me to wear a jilbab for my own 'safety' as they put it :mad: Instead my cousins and I toured the city dressed in decent cotton dirac,gogarad and a scarf that covered us from our head to our hips albeit a small brooch to make sure it didn't move.After the first gasps and initial shock it was fine.Our resident cousins&their friend(females) became comfortable enough with us to tell us the real reason as to why most of them wore jilbab and not a simple dirac set or abayaad.

1)Cheap.Material wise it is much more practical to find&make and much more cheaper then a new dirac or abayaad set.

2)Confidence.The ones who could afford to wear duruc did not because of the whole collectivism of the village and none were brave enough to be individual and wear a different form of modest attire.

3)Reputation.This leads on from the second comment.If they were seen dressed differently they would ultimately be branded a floozy or rebel or much worse(I'll leave you to figure that one out).

In response to someone's comment in this thread about them not being legally obliged.Well alot of the girls back home(well the ones I met anyway) their reputation means everything.Even if that means conforming to something they are not happy or comfortable with then so be it.It's how society treats you emotionally that can be ten times more worse then what the law can do.Alot do what they want to do undercover at night away from prying eyes and don the pious act during the day.Excellent(!)...at least they are wearing a jilbab eh?

I respect the jilbab when a proud women is wearing it and is comfortable and it is her choice.Lakiin when women only wear it NOT because she feels obliged to because of Allah(swt) but because 'heblayo is and imagine if heblayo's mum saw me' then that my dears, is LAME...LAME,LAME.LAME!

Khayr   

Originally posted by Xalimopatra:

I respect the jilbab when a proud women is wearing it and is comfortable and it is her choice.Lakiin when women only wear it not because she feels obliged to because of Allah(swt) but because 'heblayo is and imagine if heblayo's mum saw me' then that my dears, is LAME...LAME,LAME.LAME!

We are all shaped by societal values and taboos, so why the double standard when societal values shift towards Islam and give a person a sense of SHAME.

In current western societal values, SHAMELESSNESS is valued and Modesty is a Taboo and seen as being Simple Minded and 'Third World' in thinking.

Which would you rather endure and face:

Summer heat or the scorching, unendless and constant renewal of the Infinite Torture of Hell. :confused:

Nephissa   

79604378_ca550b2dd4.jpg

Gimme a break! Who pays for these uniforms? Haraam Calayk, they'r only kids, and should dress appropriately for their age. How do you suppose they play, run, and climb trees in the school playground wearing all those layers? Or a playground is a luxury in Somalia? Masaakiin! They'r missing out :( .

Khayr Walaal if your post was a relevant argument in regards to the passage you quoted from me then I could actually reply back some form of an argument to your piece.Lakiin I cant because there is nowhere to hold,grasp or chew.I mean what you're clearly doing is you're voicing your frustrated opinion on something that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the passage you quoted me from or the sentiment I expressed throughout my post.

I mean which is better a pious girl who wears a standard sized hijab&abayaad and is modest in front of and behind her family's back or a girl who only wears jilbab because she was forced to...but is then out asking her friends for unmodest clothes to hang out with unmehrem young men when her mother is asleep?Indhaheyga baan ku arkey walaal so dont even try and tell me I'm wrong....Modesty comes from within too and it's up a woman to protect herself.Wearing a jilbab doesnt account to squat when your intentions are impure and your heart is in the wrong place.

Hell,western morals and shamelessness all in one post and all you could quote from me was that irrelevant passage?....I'm so lucky(!)

Next time just think about where my sentiments' lie instead of charging at me all horns blazing....Haye dhe?

:rolleyes:

^Lol.It's good to enter a discussion with the right intentions walaal,dont get me wrong lakiin what I dont appreciate is hot headed assumptions and accusations like your a child in nursery being told off for feeding the fish sand when it wasn't even you! :confused: icon_razz.gif

Night folks'---->