Sign in to follow this  
peasant

Somali Islamists destroy an old church at the end of Ramadan

peasant   

Very impressive! They truly won the classic rug heads of the year. I sometimes think the intellectually inept members of our society, study the religion because no sane and smart individual would worry about useless old church, out of all problems that exist today in kismayo. To make matter even worse the church was used by shelterless somalis who lost their homes to the civil war and now they are homeless. well done sheiks.

---------------------------

Hundreds of local residents in Kismayo shouted Allahu Akbar (God is great) as the church, which was no longer used and was being occupied by families, was brought down, said witness Omar Ali Mohamed.

"We officially announce today that the Islamist administration in Kismayo destroys the Christian church in our town," said Sheikh Hassan Yaqub, an Islamist official said before the destruction.

"The Ethiopians destroyed a mosque in Harar (in Ethiopia) and we are destroying this church in retaliation. A large mosque... will be built in its place," Yaqub added.

The Islamist fighters wrested back control of Kismayo last month from a local militia after days of battles.

Since being ousted by the Ethiopia-backed Somali government forces last year, the Ismalists have carried out deadly guerilla attacks against their rivals.

Source: AFP, Sept 30, 2008

Prinz   

It's st.upidity, wadaadadu mararka qaar caqli xumaa..what's the point of destroying an old building, while easily divert it for another better uses? like settlements for the homeless.

I'm not sure if the church can be converted into a mosque according to the Quran ,,,, but from this story it looks like the islamists (say ICU or alshabaab) never learn from the past lessons.

Prinz   

JB thats true, they didn't take notes from the past mistakes, but it's just those AL Shabab hardliners who're messing things around.

Abu Mansoor iyo Turki yaan uga dacwoonaa :confused:

Ibtisam   

Ms DD although I do not do wadaad bashing [my edo told me when I was little that afaka ayaa ku qaalocanaya if you talk about wadaada, and even though I know it is not true, I still have this little voice that tells me; don't, just in case] In saying that, with all the problems in Somalia, destroying a church, I mean really. If anything I think it should be looked after and kept as part of the history of Somalia. It could be a place of worship for those of that faith in a stable Somalia. If they must do something, they could have converted it within its church structure (bit like the old churches in Damascus,) but wadaad these days, maafi caaqal.