Sign in to follow this  
Faheema.

Somali Woman’s Vocabulary

Faheema.   

Salaamz All,

Ladies why don’t we make a list of words/gestures with a brief description of what Somali woman do/say when they are communicating with the significant other. Naturally, this Somali Woman Vocabulary wouldn’t be complete without the help of our Somali brothers, so brothers feel free to ask the meaning of words/expressions that a Somali sister said/done which baffled you, I am sure our Nomad sisters would be happy to help smile.gif

Ok, here goes the first one….

Xalimo and Faarax have been shukaansi’ing for some time… markaa maalin maalmaha ka mid ah, Xalimo asks…..

Inaabti maxaad damacday?

Guys this means... Inaabti wakhtiga ha iga lumin ee cadayso hadaad guur u jeedo, meer meersi tag uma hayee go’aan gaadh, and tell me where this relationship is heading? :D:D

(That is my interpretation of the above question, though I could be wrong)

*** This topic was inspired by Women Vocabulary thread

Taqwa   

Salamu Alaikum Wr Wb

Inaabti maxaad damacday?

Shayma walaal qosol ayad tahaay, of course in a good way. Your translation of the word Damac = Desire is missed Interpreted. When a women ask's you what you desire, obviously you would say what your intentions are unless you preceive something out of the ordinary. She is saying where should we go from here, but you can't jump straight to marriage or time being wasted. Lakiin hadaad tidha...Walaal bal dhagaayso...waxan donaya inan kula sheekaysto sidii adiga kula ficaan..etc maxaad ka qabtaa....Then your asking for something that is legitimate. Lakiin hadaad sanka tagaysid sidii boqorada ingiriska, nin sharaf leeh ayad seegtay. Your translation is not bad wallahi, lakiin ina'dheer guur ayad markhii ba ku carar'taay iyo waqtii lumaay. Sida iyo Maliin wacan.

farax says to xalimmo ' waxaan rabaaa in aynu is barano, waan ka helay

(farah says lets get to know eachother, im feeling u)

halimo says haye walaalo, lakiin walaaltinimo, iyo saxiibtinimo aynu isku barano

(hailmo says 'ok bruv, but on the brotherly and friendship level aight!')

this means, she dont see u in that way, she aint feeling u, but she dont wanna hurt your feelings and tell u str8-up, if u opt to agree to her terms,,,, please dont think she will grow to love u, with time , this is a msitake i see brothers making over and over again!

Buubto   

Nice topic

farax says to xalimmo '
waxaan rabaaa in aynu is barano, waan ka helay

halimo says
haye walaalo, lakiin walaaltinimo, iyo saxiibtinimo aynu isku barano

this means, she dont see u in that way, she aint feeling u, but she dont wanna hurt your feelings and tell u str8-up, if u opt to agree to her terms,,,,
please dont think she will grow to love u, with time
, this is a msitake i see brothers making over and over again! [/QB]

silent-sistah

I disagree with ya on this actually we make this mistake over and over again. The sister opened the door for the brother if she insisted to get to know him as brother & friend which indicates “I am feeling ya too†but in a serbeeb way. She trying to play hard to get (typical somali girl), the brothers understand that & that is why u see them keep coming back.

Faheema.   

lol@ Taqwa Thanks for setting me straight, I had a feeling my Somali interpretation was exaggerated a little, lakiin my English translation was spot on wouldn't you say ;)

Buubto Hadii la isku eego...midi waa mid… Ma Habala maanta mise Hablihii hore…?

Due to excessive viewing & close observation of old majaajilo’s and after taking a field trip back home, I would say ....

Hablihii hore mukur iyo ismacaaneysku wuu ku badnaa, meaning hadalada afkooga ka soo baxa iyo their body language ismay laheen, which indicated that their were "playing hard to get…" markaa I would agree with you on those basis. Laakiin hadii ay noqoto hablaha maanta.. ee qurbaha ku koray, I would have to agree with Silent Sistah… they are more forthright and candid and what they say 99% of the time is what they mean…well atleast I do. smile.gif:D

buubta,

i guess its the way the sister above said,,,,maybe its a cultural difference,,

if faraax said to halimo..."waan ka helay"

if she was feeling him, she wouldnt waste time with lets get to know eachother as friends...she would say "baby aniguna waan kaa helay (or show she feeling as much as u feeling her)

Originally posted by Shayma:

Salaamz All,

Inaabti maxaad damacday?

Guys this means... Inaabti wakhtiga ha iga lumin ee cadayso hadaad guur u jeedo, meer meersi tag uma hayee go’aan gaadh, and tell me where this relationship is heading?
:D:D

loooooooooool,,, Shayma,,, ahahaha,, walaahi waad iga qoslisay,,, mid baaba shalay igu lahayd kelmeddaaaas,,, aniga ma garanaynin,, thankks.

Qacbaro,,, u r really predict very gooood,,, let it come the we'll see more and more,,,ahahahahaha.

Waar laakiin Somali waa mukur miiran,,, maxaa lagu aaminayaa,,,,

Arwala   

Nice topic.

Some brothers might not understand "Maxaad damacsan tahay" and that is acceptable, but what if a Farax says to a Xalimo:

Walaal waankaa helay, waxaana rabaa inaan ku bato ee sidey kula tahay?

and Xalimo says;

"Waanka xumahay walaal, qof baan isla soconaa" meaning "I am not interested in you" and he is still not getting the rejection and says; Anigane leenka i gali ee bal fiiri qofkeeni raaya something like that :rolleyes:

What is up with that???? The Xalimo is being NICE and she doesn't want to hurt the poor brothers heart. Can't a guy get the hint :rolleyes: :(

Emperor   

Somali girls Shukaansi vacabulary.. lool .. there is more fun in it.

Girl goes out with this boy for 2nd time

and he makes the move to expose his feelings and goes "Abaayo waa kujeclahay"

Girl: Ma Aniga??? looks ups n downs of him and laughts

and the boy thinks what the Hell, im in the wrong side of the road.

Well infact he is not, Ma Aniga and all the experession means = Thats the word that i was waiting for, why didnt u said it earlier and now that u have said im laughing out load.

Paragon   

NOOR, sometimes saying it earlier may land you upon a troublesome spot sxb.

In regards to Somali women's vocabulary, there use to be a time when courtships were achieved through wit and cleverness. Those were days of the Hal-xiraale or riddles that concern sentences and their hidden meaning. Those generation of women and men were accustomed to such style of shukaansi and their command in Somali language was excellent. However, things have changed and the only hal-xiraale is the modern way in which guys and girls metaphorically use double-edged words.

A word such as Yuusan Kaa Go'in smile.gif: has been usually used by girls to indicate to a guy who is at their place of living: 'catch the last bus' cos no one will give you a lift. This meaning, "son, your company is despised, so get the hell out of our house or get thrown out!" with some yells smile.gif .

Guur ama Gaabsi sxb? ?

Faheema.   

lol@ Arwala, I think waxa u been sheegtay maah maahda that says “naagto boqol bay la sheekaysan midna way ka guurson†(I think that it how it goes). Markaa you can’t blame the Faarax for trying his luck :D

Originally posted by J11:

In regards to Somali women's vocabulary, there use to be a time when courtships were achieved through wit and cleverness. Those were days of the
Hal-xiraale
or
riddles that concern sentences and their hidden meaning.
Those generation of women and men were accustomed to such style of
shukaansi
and their command in Somali language was excellent.

It was most entertaining and funny when watching the old Riwaayads that had the Shukaansi scenes, though I never fully understood, but at the end when they walked off the stage smiling and holding hands, I got the gist of it… :D

nuune   

“naagto boqol bay la sheekaysan midna way ka guursonâ€

and for da faarax's "kunna ka koodi kowna ka guurso"

so it is not for the ladies only, goes both wayz dear.

actually these dayz we use these:

"malaaga qodey horta" she replies "balo ku qoddey" which she means lets start new relationship

"malagu dafay" markaas bey oran ayadna "adigu maad i daftid"

"ma hoostaad wax gashatay" then she would reply "hadda ayaan deyday ama search ahay o ku jiraa ee wax ma ii haysaa"

"malagu kala tuurey" then she would reply "wali waan malaasanahay"

these are da kind one's men tend 2 use, macsalamo

Written by Silent-Sista:

farax says to xalimmo ' waxaan rabaaa in aynu is barano, waan ka helay

halimo says haye walaalo, lakiin walaaltinimo, iyo saxiibtinimo aynu isku barano

this means, she dont see u in that way, she aint feeling u, but she dont wanna hurt your feelings and tell u str8-up, if u opt to agree to her terms,,,, please dont think she will grow to love u, with time , this is a msitake i see brothers making over and over again!

SILENT SISTAH, I JUST WANTED TO SAY TO YOU THAT YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH, AND YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY FOR THAT COMMENT ALONE.

BUUBTO, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS YOU ARE DISAGREEING WITH, BUT IN THIS DAY AND AGE(OR ANY OTHER ERA), IF A WOMAN IS SEING A MAN AND SHE USES THE WORDS "FRIENDSHIP", "LOVE YOU LIKE A BROTHER" IN HER SENTENCES, MORE THAN LIKELY, SHE REALLY MEANS WHAT SHE IS SAYING TO HIM.(SHE LOVES HIM LIKE A BROTHER, AND WANTS HIM TO BE HER BESTFRIEND, PLAIN AND SIMPLE)

NO WOMAN IN HER RIGHT MAN WOULD WANT TO SAY TO A POTENTIAL MATE THAT SHE SEES HIM LIKE A BROTHA AND WANTS HIM BE HER FRIEND, C'MON NOW...AND I DOUBT BACK IN THE EARLY 1900's or even back in 1800's, tHEY USED THAT KINDA TALK TO MACK EACH OTHER, NO WOMAN IN HER RIGHT MAN WOULD SEE A MAN SHE IS INTO AS A BROTHA...(maybe a friend, because you gotta like the person enough to want to have a relationship with)

BtW..WHAT I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND IS WHY MEN, WHO HAVE HEARD THIS IN THE PAST, FAILED TO UNDERSTAND THAT SHE REALLY FEELS THAT WAY ABOUT U, AND THAT THERE IS NO CHANCE IN HELL SHE WILL CHANGE HER MIND ABOUT U AND HOW SHE FEELS, AND THAT SHE WILL SOMEHOW GROW TO LOVE YOU 5, 6, 7, 10 YRS FROM NOW???(IT AINT HAPPENING, DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH)