Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Oromo culture

Modesty   

Hey I was checking out some youtube videos, and I happened to stumble on this Oromo video. It was a song, and basically a man singing to a woman who was wearing dirac. Some Somali posters were typing that the girl is Somali because she is wearing dirac. The Oromo ppl there were getting upset by this. I have noticed that Oromos copy some of our cultural clothing like the "gareys" or "dirac"...even songs. So, this one Oromo said , "Somalis are from Oromos, and Somalia belongs to Oromos". I was shocked I didn't think anyone thought this way. What do you think, do you think Oromos want to take over Somalia or something?

Modesty,lol there are more of them than us, or maybe we are so busy finishing each other off whatever the case maybe we are not from them. They count in Af-Somali strange and every one of them understands af-Somali, don't speak af somali in their presence done that and oh boy was I sorry.

Chimera   

Somali people and the Oromos, Afars etc split 5000 years ago, we were never ''from them'', we are our own distinct ethnic group. They inhabited small pockets of modern Somalia, sure, but lots of confusion was caused by scholars believing the Somali word 'Gaalo' and the Amharic word 'Galla' as being one in the same and a reference to the Oromo people, when in fact names like 'Galkayo' are a throwback to our Islamic Somali ancestral armies pushing out our Waqite Somali ancestors, which the former referred to as ''Gaalada''. After that Somali empires and Kingdoms dominated the region expanding to a territory more than half the size of the Roman Empire, which is not bad for a people who barely numbered one million.

Modesty, How will they take over Somalia, when them Oromo people are fighting for their own freedom from the amxaaro. I have Oromo friends and I have notinced they wear baati, diracs and Somali gabasaris. I think they want steal the Somali culture or want copy it so people can think they are Somali.

Abaay Helay funky name, I am loving it :D

Baati is the most disguisting attire a Somali female could wear. I hate it soo much. :mad: I went to my friends house the other day she was proudly wearing one, I wanted to jump her and rip it off her. Does anyone other than me find it to be an ugly thing???

Back to the topic....As a Somali I would be more than happy to hand Somali over to the many homeless oromos , atleast they are united under the one name , all they seem to missing is a land ;)

I dont think they're "Copying" us per se but rather we have similar culture because of the religion. And I dont think they want to take over anything. Oromos are cool people.

Garowegal,

I second your hatred for anything baati or dirac at home. I hate it with passion. And I hate it even more when married women wear it.

Choc. Girl-- I love dirac, It makes me feel so sexy :D Especially purple diracs I have a thang for them. Baacweyn with a belt waa kaalay arag Naa choc, jump on my boat baan ku idhi.

Kuntiino is off the hook laakin, I love it only to simply show off my curves, with kuntiino I feel all woman. smile.gif Choc try kuntiino then, let me know how you go dee. ;)

Polanyi   

Originally posted by NNC:

Pretend Sheik eh! Wax iskula har xooga, stop biting your tongue! Sheydaanka iska naar!

someone is a bit serious, innit?

LOL@ Garowe Gal. I hate Dirac. I dont wear it unless it is a family wedding and I am required to wear it. I hate the whole see-through, could fit 3 people, hot and sticky the minute you move in it, could trip-anytime feeling it gives me. But whateva rocks your boat.

Guntiino is worse. I hate it for the precise reason you love it. LOL! It is like painting a clear picture for the world.

Speaking of showing off curves. Have you tried hip-huggin, curves shaping, waist trimming summer dresses? If you want to make people stare in disbelief, try that!