Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

SOL Bollywood club

Oz   

Indian movies that i've watched are main.php%3Fg2_view%3Dcore.DownloadItem%2

A gritty crime thriller titled “Company” starring the dopey-eyed Ajay Devgan, Nepalese beauty Manisha Koirala, newcomer Vivek Oberoi MV5BMTIyMDc0NTA4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM2

Amir khan made couple movies but made Loads of cash.-> aamir%2Bkhan.jpg

one of the most renowned and credible villains in Bollywood’s history is Amrish Puri 2661.jpg

Miriam1   

Sista, I saw mangal pandey it was a great movie if only and only that seriously annoying english actor was not in it...toby stephens? The guy who did the latest jane eyre ... he cannot act!

i am actually watching another Rani movie..Bunty au Babli..with abeshik, never heard of it till today hope its good

I didn't see Mangal Pandey but I have seen Jane eyre, and I thought toby stephens was great in it...Perfect for the role really

I have seen bunty au babli, it wasn't bad or that good of a movie, but I hope you enjoy it...

Miriam1   

Actually just finished it I am glad they didn't go to jail. Abeshik is very natural just like his dad.

Sista get out of here, i guess he's good if its a stage-play but the man over-acts every emotion. I liked Jane Eyre, for girl who played her.

I guess I go for less emotional subtle actors...um like Captain Wentworth from the new Persuasion.

ps. if you like "Big dress movies" thats what my sisters and i call them..the jane austen, elisabeth gaskell kind. A must watch is "Miss Jane Austen Regrets" I cried like a baby so much better than other one with guy who was in that movie..last king of scotland..can't remember his name.

We should start a thread for BBC productions lol

lol Hayam, I found a soulmate...We like hindi movies, egyptian, and now BBC production movies, hehehe awesome...I will definitely check out miss jane austen regrets, I have pretty much watched all the other movies based on her books...My favorite period movie so far though it's "North and South" based on the novel by Elizabeth Gaskell, I mean Mr. Thorton wow wow wow, I had dreams about him for a whole month...As for the guy in persusion, I liked him but he didn't make me react like toby stephens did...I mean didn't you feel how mischevious, impetious, and haunted he was in jane eyre. And my favorite dialogue was when jane is talking to her cousin and she says "He was the first to see me for who I was and like what he saw" sigh deeply

Another BBC production I liked was called "Ruby in the Smoke" not very long film but very interesting, should definitely check it out and let me know what you think.

Miriam1   

loool Sista, I didn't know you liked masri movies...I simply swoon at the sight of Khaled Abul Naga! Did you catch his new movie Chakat Masr Gedid? I can't spell it properly but its that one with girl from Mina who's looking for her long lost teacher? If you didn't catch it...best ever film

LOL@Mr Thorton he was something else, him I can totally go for, everything hidden, until the moment he bursts out in the first proposal. I love this line the best "one moment we talk of the color of fruit the next of love how does this happen"

I actually didn't watch that one, I have an aversion towards bille piper...but I saw now that JJ Feild is in it...the new Mr Tilney from Northanger Abbey, will certainly watch it.

Oh I think you might like this film, its very quite and really good a friend sent me the link.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v2046557bQgh8JwB

let me know what you think

Chimera   

Originally posted by Lozt:

one of the most renowned and credible villains in Bollywood’s history is Amrish Puri
2661.jpg

Which movie? smile.gif

The proposal scene was awesome, I liked how Mr. Thorton says "I don't care about your reputation, I wish to marry because I love you"

I got to watch the movie "arranged" and thank you so much for giving me the link and letting me know about it...You never realize how there is a need to see someone who is like you or represents what you are familiar with until you see it right in front of you...Both ladies definitely ended up with very cute guys...Watching this film reminded me an incident which happened couple of days ago at the library...This somali guy stopped by to say hello and he commented how the hijab is such an amazing thing becuase it identifies me to the world as a muslim woman where as he isn't so clearly definied...And in the next breath he says you want married, i don't think he meant himself, but was offering his service in finding me someone...So i tell him not really and no one marries before their times and now I am concentrating on start school again...He assumed I meant undergrade school and when I said I was done with that he said "expensive woman"...Couldn't help but laugh...Like in the movie, it seems reaching certain age and not getting married, can cause some stir in the community

So what did you think about it movie? Maybe one day we can have a film that truly represents the now somali generation instead of what's out there

As to arabic films, I haven't been watching recent movies, as I said I loved the oldies...As to actors, I loved Rushdi Abatha, he was just my idea of "manly man"...But let me know good ones to check and if there any good websites I might check out

bee bye

Miriam1   

Glad you liked it, even though i don't wear the hijab, its was so easy to relate to the girls specially with their encounters with that nasty principle...can't tell you how many professors, mangers and random people felt it necessary to consult me on how to live 'life'. Her experience at that party, i think must be a universal turning point for many young women.

they did endup with nice fellas, didnt they...i like that the movie put a positive spin on tradition, not putting it down or giving us watered down people who comprised one part of their identity for another.

lol@ that somali guy, do we have anything comparable to that organized jewish system?

it would be seriously complicated with all this qabila obsession many parents have.

would be nice to see somalis from a sobering perspective..nothing funny or overly dramatic.

there is a site for arabic movies, its sotwesoora.com

i apologize about the ads on the site, but its worth it if you like Rushdi Abatha..i thnk they have his best movie there 13 wives

Oh yeah I seen that movie, I love it soo much...And you are right about people who look at our lifestyle and say that we didn't have choice but was forced to it...I wear the hijab and I get asked a lot if it was my parents who made me wear it!!!

I don't think we have the organized system they do, but still elder people do try to make marriage arrangments for younger adults...Of course as you mentioned the qabil seems to be factor in those arrangment...I think it would be a beneficial system in our culture if it were applied

ps. did you watch Parineeta yet!!!!

winnie   

omg, you guys are discussing arranged?

i saw that movie a while ago, im trying to get it as a rental for the next girls night.

I am suprised you continued to watch hindi film after this movie...I mean if the song is this bad, I can't imagine what the movie was like :eek:

ps. Mithun is slowely coming back into the movies

Ashkiro   

I am so glad i clicked on this page again, the movie Arranged looks very interesting!!. Has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but... btw arrange marriages are not part of our culture, at least to my knowledge, but i think parents and family should have an important role in choosing a spouse for their son/daughter. Anyhow thanks for the new info!