Sign in to follow this  
Maf Kees

Hyena Meat Halal?

Maf Kees   

A Wadad Sheikh told me once that hyena meat was halal. I wasn't planning to eat hyena, but hey. It has raised a lot of questions. How can you eat hyena and not lion or baboon? Especially when the latter can be seen as cannibalism. How can you eat hyena when it's basically a dog but of a different species? And why on earth did he raise this non-issue? Who is going to eat hyena meat anyway? Or was hyena on our menu before the arrival of Islam?

As you can see it has raised a lot of questions, but the most important one is: Is it true that hyena meat is halal?

I always though we allowed to eat anything that doesn't eat flesh well basiclly veg. animals :cool:

or as my mom always says " wixii ku cunin , cun!"

Jaylaani   

Originally posted by Conspiracy.:

I always though we allowed to eat anything that doesn't eat flesh well basiclly veg. animals :cool:

or as my mom always says " wixii ku cunin , cun!"

Does that mean we can eat donkeys and horses too...they're not flesh eaters.

Poster,

Hyena? please.

^^because he can, do you have a problem? Answer the question or move on about.

Danyeer, your name says it all, but why don't you test it with a lil bits of bites and tell us if its macaan or not, that will determine if its halal or not.

Sorry Im in a rush,Danyeer

Quick answers to your questions.

No hyenas meat is Haram because its a carnivore and has canine teeth.

As for horses and donkeys they are technically halal.Though there is a dispute can it be considered as food, maybe last resort to a halal meal. Remember reading a narrative on donkeys/horse meat relating to the battle of Khaybaar where the Prophet SAW made it haram to eat the meat of a domestic donkey but permitted horse flesh to be eaten. (Personally think the Prophet SAW made the donkeys meat haram as the animal was of more use to the people i.e domesticated, Allah knows better.)

There is also a hadith which mentioned that the Prophet SAW made it obligatory for a person to make wudhu after eating the flesh of a wild donkey.

Ibna sina said the the meat of camel, horses and and donkeys are the worst of all meats. As according to his knowledge he classified the meat as hot and dry which is harmful for the body. the meat of a young camel is the best.

The ruling as far as I remember on halal meat, the animal slaughtered : Should not prey on animals or carrion, shouldnt have fangs, canine teeth, beaks for tearing flesh or claws and shouldnt have 2 lives (amphibians i.e live on land and in water).

Should be alive when slaughtered and name of Allah be said and given a respectful,clean cut.

Exception to the ruling of dead meat which is halal is locusts and seafood.

Other must nots, From the Holy Quraan:

read verse 5:3, 6:145. 2:172/3

Hope this helps.

Fiamanillah.

bilan   

Originally posted by Warrior of Light:

Sorry Im in a rush,Danyeer

Quick answers to your questions.

No hyenas meat is Haram because its a carnivore and has canine teeth.

As for horses and donkeys they are technically halal.Fiamanillah.

i believe donkeys are haram as the prophet forbid the meat of the donkey and temporary marriage on khaybar.i heard once that we are not allowed to eat anything that has front tooth,but it is good question,becausethere are people who eat monkeys.dogs,and cats,and no it is not streotyping,so what happens if they revert,i am sure they would want to know if they can eat their favorite meat..Allah knows.

Castro   

Originally posted by Haniif:

I've never heard someone talk about this before you. So why are you raisnig this non-issue?

He's a danyeer for crying out loud. Hyena's are fair game for him. He just wants to make sure he's not breaking any of God's covenants. :D

STOIC   

Warya, if the fuzzy wuzzy hyena is halal how about my cat? My cat is known for its stealth and cunning in hunting prey better than the damn Hyena.

cat6iq.gif

Maf Kees   

Warrior of Light, thanks brother. I knew all carnivores were Haram, but you confirmed it to me.

He's a danyeer for crying out loud. Hyena's are fair game for him. He just wants to make sure he's not breaking any of God's covenants.

:D

P.S. Why is my name being spelled as Danyeer instead of Daanyeer by almost all of you?

Originally posted by Daanyeer:

Warrior of Light, thanks brother. I knew all carnivores were Haram, but you confirmed it to me.

You are welcome, and its sister :D

P.S. Why is my name being spelled as Danyeer instead of Daanyeer by almost all of you?

Sorry, I missed the double aa. Out of curiosity, does the "aa" signify a different meaning? well, i dont even know what danyeeer means. :(

Bilan,

As I posted there are two hadiths so far on donkeys one making domesticated donkeys haram and another showing its halal to have wild donkey meat. Thus you cant compare donkeys meat to pork for example as its haram. Donkeys meat can be consumed but with a clause > wild donkey meat and TAKE WUDHU.

Anyway dont think someone who has means will fancy donkey meat. ;)

Stoic,

That cats looks scary. :eek: Inanikumbusha hadithi za majini na wanyama wanauzungumza au wenye vipaji maalum tales za coast . Ati kapiga kifuu teke ikasema > Kwanini umenipiga teke, mie nimekufanya nini :D:D

Jacpher   

Only for Daanyeerka Waxba ha naga siin waaad ka heshid.

WOL: He's pulling your leg. No difference at all. Baboon is same as BABOON.