Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

ROMEO AND JULIET IN SOMALILAND

Nephissa   

Dadkaan iyo qabiil lama kala saari karo, haku noogina. Sahra Ahmed riwaayad hadaad tagto waxaad arkaysaa ummaddan oo dhan oo stage-ka u wada saaran, wiping the sweat off her face, qaar way babinayaan. Adiga gees baa lagugu cubaa sida laguu riixaayo as if dhafoorka kaaga qorantahay you're no-lander, war ileen nin aan wax arkin baa iri wax baan arkay! Waxaa kaa imaanayso haddiiba qabiil saan yahay, yaanu qabiil lahayn?Maan ana mid ina addeerkay concert-kiisa iska raadsado.

Ibtisam   

We have many great Somali icons from all Somali regions with admirable achievement and outstanding legacy, so place is not a factor

The place will not make any somali more or less somali , since all Somalis are equally Somali, being a somali means either you are a citizen of Somalia, or you are member of an ethnic group called somali

In Somalia, all Somalis are citizens of Somalia, regardless of their birthplace

The founding father of the modern Somali Republic and the first president of Somalia honorable Adam Abdullah Osman was born in Baladweyne, Hiiraan region

Cabdillahi Suldaan Timacadde was a great somali poet was born in the small town of Galoolley, near Gabiley, Woqooyi Galbeed region

And you have just shot yourself in the foot! Every mentioned icon was “either a citizen of Somalia or member of an ethnic group called Somali” So what the hell was your objection to this thread? What was burning you and others so much that this thread has reached 8pages. Was it not the simple mention (by the original author) of his birth region, same way you have just stated above that

honorable Adam Abdullah Osman was born in Baladweyne, Hiiraan region

^^Can I object to this and cry that you cannot say that, Adam Abdullah Osman is a national hero and therefore it cannot be said that he is from Hiiraan region, …or does this only apply if it is “Somaliland”?

Nomadique- and Dabshid

Thanks and stop trolling on non troll topics :D

I’ve been dying to say that to some one, now I get to say it to two people in one go smile.gif

ThePoint

Personally, I wouldn't include that information in any post unless absolutely vital. But the original post simply linked to another site so the fuss there is somewhat strange to me.

This is why I’m surprised, and I’m assuming it has only become an issue because people have lost the distinguishing factors between the essence of Somali identity and current political factors which does not sit well with them. I’m not surprised that the original objector namely ME cried out when he saw the title and passed out when he read that it was one of his admired icons that was being discussed.

THePoint, I agree that it is an interesting point of discussion and under it is own thread I would happily discuss it, but in this discussion at no point is birth region useful. I also agree that in the case of national icons a particular care is needed because even modern celebrities know that the fame is only as wide as the audience and will try and reach out/ appeal to everyone. In order to sustain a national icon

The other thing is, few people here seem to assume that the article said he was reer-hebel-hebel, I must have missed that part. I’m sorry but unless I’m confused and you guys are saying only one clan lives in Somaliland, you better find some other useful argument, because this one is clearly invalid, the article mentioned a region and a town, I did not see any reer-hebel-hebel. Further more this article was clearly using it as means of identifying his life and how it all began, rather than hitting a political goal home.

Dhulqarnayn -alSumaale

While I agree with everything you said, I find myself thinking, now why on earth does he say ME is right, ME who is having a hard time admiring someone unless they are disassociated with their identity, ( their clan and birth place is part of this). Irish or Scotsmen take pride in the same individual while acknowledging his birth place and identity. They embrace the difference and take pride in what he stood for. Putting someone down just because the individual isn't related is as bad as accepting and holding someone up while denying the very essence of what forms their identity. When the likes of ME can admire someone and like them, while at the same acknowledging their identity, then and ONLY then can it be said that the heart is clean and that is true pride.

Legend of Z being a moderator has its advantages I see. ;)smile.gif

me   

Originally posted by Xanthus:

Dhulqarnayn -alSumaale

While I agree with everything you said, I find myself thinking, now why on earth does he say
ME
is right,
ME
who is having a hard time admiring someone unless they are disassociated with their identity, ( their clan and birth place is part of this). Irish or Scotsmen take pride in the same individual while acknowledging his birth place and identity. They embrace the difference and take pride in what he stood for. Putting someone down just because the individual isn't related is as bad as accepting and holding someone up while denying the very essence of what forms their identity. When the likes of
ME
can admire someone and like them, while at the same acknowledging their identity, then and ONLY then can it be said that the heart is clean and that is true pride.

Xanthus,

Gambar soo jiido.

1. Cilmi Boodheri is a great poet, and is amongst my favorites......quraafaadka aan akhriyo isagaan ka soo xadaa, sheeko xaliimo kasta looga sheekeeyana wey tahay.

2. Cilmi Boodheri was born in a certain town and from a certain clan and thats his identity, I am not disagreeing with that the people who are closer to him clanwise can also boast and brag about the accomplishments of 'their' poet.

Now whats my objection against this article?

This article is associating Cilmi Boodheri who lived so many years ago with the secessionist entity thats of recent times. Cilmi Boodheri is being used as a propoganda tool for the secessionist entity, that has nothing to do with him except if your saying that its a clan thing. And because he was a member of a certain clan, then by default he would have supported the secessionist idea. ( Are poets zombies? nahhhh...)

A question what was Cilmi Boodheri's political stance? what did he say about secessionism? did some one dig up his grave and found him holding a secessionist flag?

I have raised the question of whether Cilmi Boodheri would support the secessionist entity if he was alive today. Because modern day poets such as Hadrawi who is amongst the greatest living Somali poets today does support the secessionist enity and is known for his outspoken pro Somali Unity stance. The same goes for Bacadle.

I am saying that a Somali icon like Cilmi Boodheri who is long dead should not be abused for propoganda purposes by the secessionists.

If this kind of thing continues it will damage the Somali arts.

So Xanthus here is my question for you.

You said

When the likes of
ME
can admire someone and like them, while at the same acknowledging their identity, then and ONLY then can it be said that the heart is clean and that is true pride.

Now is Cilmi Boodheri's identity a secessionist identity? and isn't secessionism a political ideology since when is it identity?

I am not denying the man his identity (clan, regions..etc), I am speaking out against those that are abusing the man's legacy for their politics.

I am also saying that the arts should be above politics, otherwise it will be like the TFG poet, the Puntland band, the USC keyboard player, the SNF writter, the USP gabyaa etc. etc.

p.s. the likes of ME have a clean heart, this is politics babes not clannism ;)

Ibtisam   

1. Cilmi Boodheri is a great poet, and is amongst my favorites......quraafaadka aan akhriyo isagaan ka soo xadaa, sheeko xaliimo kasta looga sheekeeyana wey tahay.

2. Cilmi Boodheri was born in a certain town and from a certain clan and thats his identity, I am not disagreeing with that the people who are closer to him clanwise can also boast and brag about the accomplishments of 'their' poet.

so far so good

Now whats my objection against this article?

This article is associating Cilmi Boodheri who lived so many years ago with the secessionist entity thats of recent times. Cilmi Boodheri is being used as a propoganda tool for the secessionist entity, that has nothing to do with him except if your saying that its a clan thing. And because he was a member of a certain clan, then by default he would have supported the secessionist idea.

NOPE NO NO, read again my friend, the article simple pointed out his region, with or without politics, a means of identifying where he hailed from. As for politics, whether he would or would not have supported it political,… the smart thing for a celebrity or icon is not to take sides, and seem neutral grounding, he may or may not have, who knows and who cares? He is long dead, and he is famous for other reasons.

I have raised the question of whether Cilmi Boodheri would support the secessionist entity if he was alive today. Because modern day poets such as Hadrawi who is amongst the greatest living Somali poets today does support the secessionist enity and is known for his outspoken pro Somali Unity stance. The same goes for Bacadle.

But the does not distance them from their people and identity, nor has it put a wedge between them and their people, Hadrawi is forever attending their events, having tea and meetings with them, and Burco is still where he calls home, and where he's main support is. Again people like him for his work, and for the Landers, his political stand does not make a difference, after all waa oodakodi.

I am saying that a Somali icon like Cilmi Boodheri who is long dead should not be abused for propoganda purposes by the secessionists.

If this kind of thing continues it will damage the Somali arts.

I am also saying that the arts should be above politics, otherwise it will be like the TFG poet, the Puntland band, the USC keyboard player, the SNF writter, the USP gabyaa etc. etc.

That I have no problems with, (by the way there are TFG poets/ musicians who are employed for everything lalaland) he was not alive to make a decision of the political nature of Somaliland, so it cannot be said he argued for it, nor can anyone say he would have objected to it. BUT how was that relevant to this white Italian girls article?? And where did she say he supports Somaliland?? Or is paranoia the new fashion.

So Xanthus here is my question for you.

Now is Cilmi Boodheri's identity a secessionist identity? and isn't secessionist a political ideology since when is it identity?

I am not denying the man his identity (clan, regions..etc), I am speaking out against those that are abusing the man's legacy for their politics.

I never said anything about a political ideology (although now that you mention it, if you embrace it does become part of your identity) but what I am saying is he has an identity which was pointed out/ named as Somaliland which it was called long before 1991, so your objection is overruled, now please get over it. One can be from Somaliland region without having a SomaliLander Ideology.

me   

Originally posted by Xanthus:

(me) So Xanthus here is my question for you.

Now is Cilmi Boodheri's identity a secessionist identity? and isn't secessionist a political ideology since when is it identity?

(Xanthus) I never said anything about a political ideology (although now that you mention it, if you embrace it does become part of your identity) but what I am saying is he has an identity which was pointed out/ named as Somaliland which it was called long before 1991, so your objection is overruled, now please get over it. One can be from Somaliland region without having a SomaliLander Ideology.

Ok we agree that he is long dead and that he would/might have been neutral on political issues just like Hadrawi. We are making progress. The secessionist region that your talking about was never called 'Somaliland' before the nineties, as you have pointed out in previous threads history is not your strongest point. The area was called The British Somaliland Protectorate, thats very different from the current secessionist enity in many ways. So what objections can you overrule? :D

For the sake of clarity let me summarize what we discussed.

1. He lived long before this secessionist enity was dreamt of.

2. He would/might have been neautral politically.

3. The secessionist enity was not called Somaliland before the nineties.

4. Qabiil does not make one a supporter of political ideology.

So in other words, there is nothing to link Cilmi Boodheri with the secessionist enity, except that he dwelled a certain area in Somalia that they are claiming long before the.

So why is this poor talented man being abused for politics that ain't his?

One can be from Somaliland region without having a SomaliLander Ideology.

Well done :D

me   

Jacaylbaro......caawa xaflad weyn ayaan kuu samaynaynaa...wad todobokun jirsanaysaa :D duq waaxid!

Ibtisam   

Me Now you are arguing for the sake of arguing. I have improved my history since, i even took a trip there remember, and don't even say they told me their side!.

Ok we agree that he is long dead and that he would/might have been neutral on political issues just like Hadrawi. We are making progress. The secessionist region that your talking about was never called
'Somaliland'
before the nineties, as you have pointed out in previous threads history is not your strongest point.

Okay so what was it called, a name so different that one cannot imagin how somaliland came about!

The area was called British Somaliland,

It was called what?, i did not hear that, British Somaliland Now why on earth did i think it was called somaliland! :mad: stop playing childish games yaa ME.

For the sake of clarity let me summarize what we discussed.

1. He lived long before Somaliland as a political ideology.

2. He would/might have been neautral politically,
we can ask him when we die

3. The secessionist enity was called Somaliland before joing forces witht the south and becoming Somalia, in the nineties, they could not think of a better name or solution then just to return to what they already knew!

4. Qabiil does not make one a supporter of political ideology.

^^that i agree with.

me   

Xanthus, ofcourse they told you their side, its like getting to a family house where there has been a domestic and listening to one side. Ofcourse you will get a biased story.

About the name of the territory? ofcourse its important, nothing childisch about official names :D

For example

Republic of Korea

Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Which is which? :D

And whats the differnece between?

The Republic of Somalia

The Somali Democratic Republic

Transitional Federal Government of The Somali Republic

So the name of the territory matters, and thats why I am saying the secessionist enity dreamt up 'Somaliland' and it did not exist before the ninties. The territory was called The British Somaliland Protectorate.

me   

Xanthus,

your childish, you are misquoting me!!!!!! thats not cool.

When you say "quote"...you can't change my words.

*Waves with his fist*

me   

The secessionist enity was called Somaliland before joing forces witht the south and becoming Somalia, in the nineties, they could not think of a better name or solution then just to return to what they already knew!

Do I really have to be your history teacher?