Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

ROMEO AND JULIET IN SOMALILAND

Although Somaliland does not immediately remind visitors of the sweet taste of love, I recently came across a story which - in its dramaturgy and romantic touch - resembles much the Italian story of Romeo and Juliet. It’s the story of Elmi Bodheri, a Somali poet little known outside Somaliland.

Bodheri's poems were inspired by a tragic and true tale of "forbidden love". While working in a bakery in Berbera town, a young woman of exceptional beauty named Hodhan entered the room to buy some bread. As she said "good morning" to him, he instantly fell in love with her. He could not sleep; he could not eat or drink. He was struck by her beauty

In a conservative society, it was forbidden for any man to contact any woman or express his feelings without permission; and besides, he was a mere baker and she was from a richer family of higher social standing.

The tradition would have been for his family to approach her family and formally meet. But this was not possible due to their relative social standing. He finally got a chance to see her again. He heard that she would be visiting a neighbour. But he never saw Hodhan, he fell asleep and was angry at himself for missing his chance to see her.

"I have heard that other men have stepped forward to claim the girl on whom my mind was set. Wind, swear to be by the everlasting one that you will carry my words though the air. Tell her that stone houses and walls would have felt the pain. Tell her that termite hills would have sprouted green grass if they had but heard these words of mine.

Courage and stoicism were valued in Somali nomadic culture, but open talk about love and affection was not tolerated. His clan became worried that he was now at marrying age, but was not interested in anyone other than Hodhan. They brought four beautiful young women to him, and they uncovered the top part of their dresses to show him their breasts, then he was asked to choose one amongst the four girls as his bride. He refused.

Later, he became distraught; a "different man" after learning that she was to be married to another man richer than himself and from the same social class as her. He was inconsolable. Hodhan used to cry too when she saw all these poetry and people criticizing her for not going to him.

Bodheri was finally persuaded to marry and leave Berbera, but he kept dreaming of Hodhan and talking to his wife as if she was her. Unable to tolerate this, she left him and Bodheri returned to Berbera, where he died in 1947; his body is buried in a dusty cemetery in Berbera. The tale says that Bodheri died of a broken heart, childless and still in his youth.

Bodheri left behind an extraordinary collection of poems of unrequited love, inspirational to this day. Musicians have used his words to create music and dance from Somali, Ethiopia, Kenya and surrounding regions his words, which broke with taboo and are still recited by heart by many Somalis today

Bodheris bakery is still operational up to today and could become one of Berberas tourist attractions...

That was a nice read

me   

Nooooooooooooo! the Somali art and poetry are being hijacked for secessionist propoganda. Bodheri is a Somali poet, end of discussion. Stop yourself guys before you reach a new low.

me   

^ Its the same old lobbying. I thought the art was Somali art.....like for all of us or shall we tribalize the arts too? Like our singer, our poet, our writer, etc etc. Do you think that will help the situation?

Think you folks.

It goes like this first you tribalize an poet like Bodheri, then only one section of the Somali population will be reading/listening to him and he will loose his broad popularity amongst all Somalis and before you know, he will be lost in obscurity.

If there is one thing that modern Somali poets have thought us its that they stand above this clannism. Look at Hadrawi/Bacadle etc. If Bodheri was alive today he would be standing above clannism too, he wouldnt be a clannist cheerleader.

me   

No need, we can discuss the situation here.

The question this topic raises is.

Are the arts above clannism? is it our poet? our singer? our writter? or is it a Somali poet, Somali singer, Somali writter?

N.O.R.F   

No i would like to know why you jumped to the tired line of 'seccessionist propoganda' and pointed fingers,,,ala seef la boodle

Clan-Minded people ........

what is the difference if he is from Somaliland, Somalia or Djibouti ?? ,, don't worry, he is still Somali adeer. Take it or leave it. You can't argue with the world the fact that the writer is not Somali nor Somalilander.

Clan-Minded indeed ............

me   

Because thats what it is. A normal Somali person wouldnt do it, only secessionists are known for doing things like that. Just as only a secessionist would say he is the orphan of the queen, would he dare to tribalize the Somali arts too. Lets say these secessionist supporters have no limits and thats an understatement.

me   

Jacaylbaro,

Say whatever you like, the propoganda stunt isn't working. Come back with another thing.

The Somali arts are not for sale and they surely won't be used for clan motivated projects.

jacaylbaro, I am familiar with Boodheri, I am a big fan of the man and its sad when the arts is politicized.

N.O.R.F   

She refers to Somaliland because thats where she works. I know her reference to Somaliland rather than Woqooyi Galbeed is hard for you to take but sheer up mate.

Elmi Bodheri, a
Somali
poet

Courage and stoicism were valued in
Somali
nomadic culture

Musicians have used his words to create music and dance from
Somali
, Ethiopia, Kenya and surrounding regions

I bet these are also tribalised statements soomaha ya Me?

Save the obsession please,,,

waar ninku oohin weynaa ,,, looooooool

Unless you believe he is not SOMALI then you can still be a big fan of him adeer. Is deji, biyo qabow cab, soo qubeyso, take a nap then hadhow baynu sheekaysan.

Boodhari, Aniga, Rayaale, dhamaan SOOMAALI baanu nahay niyow ,,,, just like you are a somali ,,, markaa waxba ha werwerin ,, Jumaican maanu noqone :D