Sign in to follow this  
MR ORGILAQE

Why is SOL not actively Collecting for The Drought

I feel that everyone here is talking but not doing anything and yet as the pictures at the link below shows people are at the stage where entire cities will perish if nothing is done!!!

I URGE SOL to put up an active colection banner similar to the Tsunami one and pass on the Money collected to our brothers and sister back home web page

Castro   

Saaxib if those Xawaalad companies who have the infrastructure and the presence in every country are not collecting any money, besides western NGOs (whom we should donate to anyway), how is one to send the money to those who need it? I'm sure everyone is already helping their own families back home. And I also wonder about these incessant reports from Western media about how dire the situation is. Some of these bloody NGOs sending the reports have no other raison d'etre than disasters so their motives are at best questionable.

But even if 1 out of every $10 donated actually reaches those who need it, donating to western NGOs is our only choice. So cut down on Starbucks for a few weeks or don't buy that nice coat or those shoes. Donate that money and while you enjoy the good feeling that comes with it, you might just help a kid or two. It's the only way to go.

I agree with you. SOL must at least have an information and donation resources link. I know Admin is busy with the new page but I'm sure he'll find the time to put the link soon. Like today. :D

True, Admin should put something up for this poor people bil axsaanak!

Second thing, I wonder if the reports are really true, since I have been seeing the same picture (a skinny kid with flies on his face) from 1993 till now in some NGO's brochures. It makes you wonder if they are really in touch what's happening or are they just collecting and treating it like a business.

Over all, We need to help insha allah - I say take the money to a masjid near you or a community center where they got something going on for this cause.

Actually guys if you follow the link i provided it takes you to a Somali website called Shabelle News who sent their own reporters to the drought affected areas and took pictures which are displayed on their site.

Just follow the link.so there is no need to listen to a foreign NGO.As for giving to the NGO's i say it is about time we didn involve foreign NGO's .This is somali money intended for somalis and if anyone should benefit even if it is admin as they do in the other NGO's it should be a citizen of Somalia in Somalia who has a right to such a money.

They do the same why shouldn't we?.So let us find a way to donate and buy the food from Somalis in somalia.Water from Somalis in Somalia, and transportation as well.

The distributors should be somalis and recepients somalis.It should be a turn-key project involving somalis in my view,and before anyone forcasts doom and gloom....just sit back and think.....why the heck not?

Blessed   

^that should be a long term effort laakin we have people suffering as I type this. We need to get money across there asap.

Muslim Aid is collecting for Somalia but unfortunately their website www.muslimaid.org seems to be down at the moment.

I'd donate to Muslim Aid. I trust them more than those NGO's as they have a good track record as far as helping Somalis.

MUSLIM AID RUSHES RELIEF TO FAMINE-STRICKEN SOMALIA, KENYA

Islamic Relief is only collecting for Kenya - I don't think that they have any offices in Somalia.

Blessed   

FYI!

The Muslim aid website is now working, you can

donate online using this form. To make a specific donation to Somalia follow these instructions; under the allocations heading select 'sadaqah-emergency' using the 'Type' drop-down menu. Then, in the 'Detail' menu choose 'On-going releif-Somalia'

Please tell as many people as you can. .

Remember money spent in charity only increases your wealth. May Allah reward you smile.gif

Castro   

Thank you Blessed. I almost gave up on that site. How could they be down so long? It's not like people who need help can wait or care about a website that's down. I hate to say this but that's a bad sign the site would be down almost the entire bloody week. If online donations are of any significant percentage of their overall donations then they've lost a lot this week.

Thanks again. Please make sure to visit it folks.

P.S. I know most of you here are students but the price of a movie ticket, a book on Amazon or a dinner at a restaurant is no less than $50 so think about it. Go movieless for a month. Skip the Olive Garden trip (pasta is bad for you anyway) and tell Amazon to buzz off.

Baashi   

Many thanks Orgiliqe for posting this topic. Than you Blessed for the link. Ilaah ha idinka abaal mariyo.

Remember y'all “Whoever saved a life, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind†(Qur’an 5:32)

Haneefah   

Originally posted by Blessed:

Remember money spent in charity only increases your wealth.

Indeed.

Innallaha yarzuqu man yashaa'u bigheyri xisaab, wallahu yuxibul muxsiniin. So let us be selfless and give while we have the chance and the means before it is too late. This dunya is after all very transitory and merely for testing while it lasts, some of us are tested with hardships while others are with blessings.

Human Concern International is another Islamic NGO based in Canada through which you can DONATE as well.

BOB   

Nice Topic indeed my brother Orgi Laqe...

i believe some people (Somalis) may not even be aware of the draught and i think some of you should do what the Ulimas are doing in this part of the world that i live in by going door to door to the Somali masses and ask them to donate to this great cause and help safe a somali life or somali family's lifelihood...

May Allah s.w come to their rescue insha allah...

Peace,Love & Unity.

SOO MAAL   

Our beloved prophet encouraged muslims to help their fellow muslim brothers when they in need, some of his wise sayings ;

The Prophet said"You find the Muslims in their mutual love and compassion, like one body, should any organ of it fall ill, the rest of the body will share in the fever and sleeplessness that ensues", (al-Bukhari)

The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) has said: "those who help a Muslim in hardship in this world, will be protected by Allah from suffering hardship in the Hereafter....Allah will help his servants as long as they help their fellow Muslim brothers", (narrated by Muslim and Abu-Daud).

The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) has said:"None of you truly believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself, (al-Bukhari).

The Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) has said:"If one of you defends the honour of his brother, Allah the Almighty, will keep the hellfire away from his face in the Hereafter." (Muslim).

Remember money spent in charity only increases your wealth. May Allah reward you

very true, thank you blessed

I urge all muslims brothers in this forum to donate generously to their fellow muslim brothers in back home.

Be useful One in a Time of Need

We should donate in our own way, through other channels – I don’t know if its true but some business lady in Australia donated dog food? – She owned a pet food company or something – is that true? Another thing, this only emerged in the media, and many of the organizations that aid the needy are corrupt. CIDA accounts giving 18 million to Somalia, but only 3 million of that money can be accounted for ever being spent in Somalia, a friend of mine was researching that. Also the YMCA has been defrauded by a Chinese accountant in Toronto stealing two million or so – who thought giving to the needy could be so difficult.