Sign in to follow this  
Al-Rasheed

Why famine happens only in Africa?

Rahima   

Good! Otherwise you would've got verbal reprimand from me for your racist comment.

It's a forum dude- written, WRITTEN.

That said, reprimand is beyond your ability.

Africans are not ****** and famines happen everywhere around the globe. Low levels of rain fall, low crop yields and other factors characteristic of famines take place even in the most developed of nations but these adverse effects are insulated as these nations are industrially advanced and are not heavily dependent on the Agricultural sector as poorer nations are. Plus these nations invest in R&D to ensure their food supply levels do not go down. Africans on the other hand are not as motivated as other nations in their quest for progress. The rich bourgeosie as a result of world aid handouts do not care about the poor or in investing in the good of the country. Corrupt governments, bad policies, civil wars etc. are all self-imposed restrainsts why Africa will remain poor for long periods to come. Another fact that cannot be ignored is that Ninka cadaanka aduunka kharibay! What do you think the US navy is doing off the coast of Somalia probably for the same reasons why they are off the coast of Japan and constantly pushing toward bilateral agreements with it. They are monitoring movement and progress, the advanced nations will always ensure they remain ahead. How many people actually know that Siad Barre's invasion of Northern Somalia was US. backed? Sadly not many Somalis. And then there is the whole issue of IMF/World Bank that continues to plunge Africa into an inescapable debt crisis. I guess when one asks why there is mass starvation in Africa we are contending with a whole host of interdependent issues.

I think it is time to drop the passive attitude and hiding behind conspiracy theories. People in our part of the world are dying of hunger and this happens frequently whether there is a government or not. In fact, that famous drought which caused large scale of starvation known as Abaartii Dabadheer happened when Somali government and the economy were very strong. The reality is that drought happens in everywhere but death of hunger does not.

As I said, my humble opinion is that the problem is due to the nomad life style and the lack of very important survival skills. No less than 65% of Somali population are nomads and about 20% depend on merely what they can get out of the harvest season. That means if people couldn’t get grazing green land for their livestock, the livestock will start dying and consequently they will be next. Likewise, if those farmers can’t have good harvest season by any reason whether it is human caused such as civil wars or natural caused such as floods or other natural disasters, they will face starvation and death.

We have to teach our people the skills needed to survive in the harshest times. They must know how to save for such times, how to manage their products, how to invent or exploit many more food products (In Somalia, essential crops like sun flower and mushroom were neglected and no one cares and sees them as usable crops), how to get many different markets for their products. The nomad life style must come to an end. Moving from place to place every couple of months must stop. Having four wives and dozens of children when you can’t get two regular meals per day must seize to exist. More important, having the lowest rate of literacy must become history.

Anyway Huuno Viking you make some valid points but I have to remind you that you are sporting a dangerously non passive attitude by referring to yourself by one of God's attribute and name.

Ar-Rasheed

The Guide to the Right Path, The One who guides.

Viking   

Originally posted by Didi Kong:

Anyway Huuno Viking you make some valid points but I have to remind you that you are sporting a dangerously non passive attitude by referring to yourself by one of God's attribute and name.

wow! wow! wow! @ huuno :eek: :cool: :D

Rahima,

Your white hijab is starting to look coned on the top just like the Klan hood lol.

juba   

Azmaya, ur saying Africa's plight stems form laziness? so the starving children who "drink their urine" are lazy? The women who can't feed her babies is lazy? the African man who is dying form AIDS is lazy? All who suffer unimaginably ARE LAZY? i don't think so.

the situation is not about laziness but ineptness to govern. It's not about black character of failure its about the history of SLAVERY, COLONIZATION, and continued SUBJUGATION that the blacks can not overcome. If anything the Black race should be credited for surviving all these injustices. But the one important trait we lack is resiliance an ability to bounce back up again to the times of greatness of Mali, Ghana, Songhai! :(

KEYNAN22   

Originally posted by juba:

Azmaya
, ur saying Africa's plight stems form laziness? so the starving children who "drink their urine" are lazy? The women who can't feed her babies is lazy? the African man who is dying form AIDS is lazy? All who suffer unimaginably ARE LAZY? i don't think so.

the situation is not about laziness but ineptness to govern. It's not about black character of failure its about the history of SLAVERY, COLONIZATION, and continued SUBJUGATION that the blacks can not overcome. If anything the Black race should be credited for surviving all these injustices. But the one important trait we lack is
resiliance
an ability to bounce back up again to the times of greatness of Mali, Ghana, Songhai!
:(

You sound like a west african negro, what has songhai, mali and Ghana's "time of greatness" anything to do with you as a somali. I'm disgusted by how some somalis these days sound more and more like these afrocentric lunatics talking about past glories and blaiming everything bad on the whities. Africa stinks because of the negro, period. God was in a bad mood they day he created the Negro no doubt about that. Slavery and other explotation( that still continues) is not the whiteys fault, its the negroes fault for not being able to protect his people and himself, and has still not learned to do so. blacks are like little children, no sense of responsibility, discipline or foresight thinking at all, whenever a black gets money the first thing he does is to buy unnecessery shit, the words saving and investment does not exist in the negro mentality. lets invite the white man back to Africa, the time they controlled were the only time this god forsaken continent had any kind of greatness or glory, atleast people didnt starve under their rule. what a shame that such a beutiful continet is inhabited by the most sorry people of all human races. I've always wonderd how Africa would be like if it was inhabited by non-blacks, im quite sure everyones dream would be to move to this paradise. But today when people think about Africa, they actually imagine how hell looks like. No need to talk shit anymore we need to be honest to each other, we need to put the cards on the table and face the facts.

bilan   

^^ you must hate yourself,whether you like it or not,you are still black,so stop infrerioty complex. western countries are responsible, country like nigeria borrowed 17 million in 1970s,paid over 37million and still owes more than 20,they paid more than 3 times the original loan,yet they are still in debt,where all these money went,into western hands, africans are dying aids because drugs are over priced and drug manufactures will not allow generic drugs,as long as africans believe world bank and UN,we will not be free.

Viking   

Originally posted by KEYNAN22:

You sound like a west african negro, what has songhai, mali and Ghana's "time of greatness" anything to do with you as a somali. I'm disgusted by how some somalis these days sound more and more like these afrocentric lunatics talking about past glories and blaiming everything bad on the whities. Africa stinks because of the negro, period. God was in a bad mood they day he created the Negro no doubt about that. Slavery and other explotation( that still continues) is not the whiteys fault, its the negroes fault for not being able to protect his people and himself, and has still not learned to do so. blacks are like little children, no sense of responsibility, discipline or foresight thinking at all, whenever a black gets money the first thing he does is to buy unnecessery shit, the words saving and investment does not exist in the negro mentality. lets invite the white man back to Africa, the time they controlled were the only time this god forsaken continent had any kind of greatness or glory, atleast people didnt starve under their rule. what a shame that such a beutiful continet is inhabited by the most sorry people of all human races. I've always wonderd how Africa would be like if it was inhabited by non-blacks, im quite sure everyones dream would be to move to this paradise. But today when people think about Africa, they actually imagine how hell looks like. No need to talk shit anymore we need to be honest to each other, we need to put the cards on the table and face the facts.

...and all the other African nations should follow the great example of the noble Somalis (who are not negroid) and learn how a country is run. They should see how Somalis have built a united nation based on peace, respect, love and unity!

Preach on KEYNAN22, tell everyone how brutish, bigoted and narrow-minded you are...but to say "God was in a bad mood" is crossing the bigotry line and into murky waters.

Miriam1   

^ lol..you know who he reminds me of, that skit on the chappelle show, where the leader of the KKK is a blind black man, only in this case..he is blinded by a severe hate of his own kind!

...Lakin walahi the level of ignorance and hate in this thread is so scary, all this time I should not have feared the racist behaviour of the white man....

but of my own people, I have always known somalis had disillusions of superiority but the likes of KEYNAAN(why capital? another why to feel better about yourself) just make you feel like screaming.

Its incredibly sad so sad, but alhamdulilah, your the miniorty, and inshallah will always be, your comfortable spewing your garbage here, behind this anonymity.

Ps. Has his post and the rest of them not voliated some of the several Camel Milk Threads, I believe in this example calling the existence of a people a mistake by God (istaqfurallah, his knowledge of the diin is also weak)constitues a racial remark! thank....you and G'night!!!

STOIC   

This is a good story from the motherland. I always knew that it only takes a little creativity to come up with a solution of African food crisis. The endowment of good natural resources and technology-based research will create food abundance. Education in its broadest sense is a necessary foundation for our present day, highly non-efficient African agriculture. Read the below link and check out what these principal in a remote Kenyan town could achieve with his degree in Agriculture from University of Nairobi. The family size farms project he started provide an economic climate in which his people can no longer depend on a hand out. African current perspective of food crisis can be put into a more positive perspective by covering such a positive initiative in order to encourage the continent to be independent. I am tired of catastrophic news on the media. Ever wondered why the rest of the world gets a few seconds catastrophic news in the media? This is chiefly contributed by the element of apathy. African chief assurance of food abundance rests on a can-do attitude like this gentleman.

PS I have lived close to where the principal have started these project(Makutano area).Just to let you know I was proud of the guy.

Africa Feed itself

ElPunto   

^Good article Viking - but generally that is the exception unfortunately. I loved this quote in the article:

"Louis Verchot, senior scientist in Nairobi for the International Center for Research in Agroforestry (ICRAF), commends individuals working wonders like Mbindyo, but cautions it is not so simple to copy his ideas wholesale.

"Bear in mind [Mbindyo's] may be niche technology, successful because he has spare land, good soil, and extra manpower," Mr. Verchot says."

- Why is he downplaying the man's success - sometimes almost makes you want to believe the conspiracy theories. redface.gif

Originally posted by Al-Rasheed:

Socod badne

I have already said that in the last 50 years, it was rare to see famine outside Africa.

Not in terms of lifes lost, Africa fared better in the last 50 years as my source led credence to.

The famine in Bangladesh is just an example of that rarity and I think North Korea didn’t suffer as much as some parts of Africa or didn’t get enough media coverage.

If you think famines in Bangladesh were rarity in the last 50 years, then you need urgent perusal of historical records. Bangladesh along with India were subject to recurring famines in the 60s and 70s. It was only recently they both were able to successfully stave off impending famines. Ditto for N. Korea although it's a problem is of different nature. You see, the late 90s famine in N. Korea was artificially created by criminally neglegent government. Which highlights the fact that governments can be as much source for solution to famines as culprits.

But in Africa, there must be drought, famine and starvation in at least every decade.

I'm aware of that and don't deny or down play the severity of famines in Africa. You asked me to provide examples of major famines outside of Africa in the last 50 years, I did.

There must be something that makes Africans very susceptible to famine and very weak against drought.

Well, its not because they're stoopidh as some have said. The reason why africa is prone to famines is two folds: 1. geography 2. technology. The lack of these contributing elements is what sets Africa apart from other continents in terms of famines suffered.

Modesty   

The area of Somalia I visited, puntland, was very beautiful, there was rain, and lots of food to go around, alhamdulilah. Most of the famines in Somalia tend to happen in the areas near Kenya, and Ethiopia I believe. People have food in these parts, but the young people need opportunities...most of them want to leave the country, no surprise.

Viking   

Originally posted by ThePoint:

^Good article Viking - but generally that is the exception unfortunately. I loved this quote in the article:

First someone calls me huuno out of the blue and now thanked for an article I never posted :D It's Rahima's fault for dropping my name into this famine thread! :cool: