Sign in to follow this  
Al-Rasheed

Why famine happens only in Africa?

I was recently watching one of the TV Channels that was reporting about the famine in east Africa when the reporter said in the end of the report: That is the situation of people in some parts of the planet when people in other parts of the same planet asking themselves how someone can die of hunger?

Why every time we hear about famine, starvation and hunger, they are happening in Africa? What is the cause do you think? Is it lack of resources? But Africa is rich in many natural resources. Is it the civil wars? We have civil wars in many other countries in the other continents? Is it corrupted governments? There are corrupted governments everywhere.

Why famine only happens in Africa?

Rahima   

Although incredibly simplistic, I’m convinced of this now- Africans are just S.T.U.P.I.D.

Inshallah someday they will overcome this.

How ya doing viking :D :cool:

Miriam1   

^ Are you serious...Am I coming into the middle of an inside joke.

Do you really believe that millions of people are suffering, due to thier ********* .....

Lost for words....

I have grown tired of these topics, please check yourself and stop falling prey to the image created by the western media of Africa...

Famines and Natural diasters happen all over the world, Africa is neither immune or the exception to the rule.

Rahima, yes, that is simplistic….we can’t say they are dying for just being ****** .

Originally posted by Jawahiir:

I have grown tired of these topics, please check yourself and stop falling prey to the image created by the western media of Africa...

Rahima, yes, that is simplistic….we can’t say they are dying for just being ****** .

Famines and Natural diasters happen all over the world, Africa is neither immune or the exception to the rule.

Give me one example of any country outside Africa that suffered famine and hunger in the last 50 years? Even if there is, it is very rare. Every year or couple of years we see on the TV African people (our own Somalis in the forefront) in a miserable situation and can’t get what they eat.

Let us be fair and frank for a moment and face this serious and humiliating issue.

P.S: I am not Viking

u wanna go pv with beaver-country viking sista? i

say dont!!! lol... think outside the pond!!

to jump back to topic! hey, remember, this happens only when u r prosecuted due to race, religion or tribal reasons! we still doing that in africa!

africans have feed themselves all their lives till the whites came there! n school their sons & daughters to be self induliguent!! period! peace.

Originally posted by Al-Rasheed:

Give me one example of any country outside Africa that suffered famine and hunger in the last 50 years?

North Korea (late 90s), Bangladesh (the one in the 70s), China (during the Great Leap forward -- more like backwards lol!). The top 10 most devastating famines in the 20th century didn't even take place in Africa. Here is the list:

1. China 1958-62 Between 10 and 30 million people died as a result of Mao Zedong’s Great Leap Forward. His plan involved modernising agriculture and increasing grain production. Farmers were collectivised into communes of about 25,000 people and had to give the state a large percentage of their crops. Officials often exaggerated the size of harvests, and in many places the entire grain harvest was seized together with livestock, vegetables and cash crops. China's leaders appeared to have been unaware of the severity of the famine – from 1958 until 1961 China doubled its grain exports and cut imports of food.

2. Soviet Union 1921-22 Nine million people died. Massive crop failures due to drought were largely ignored by Vladimir Lenin’s government, which did not respond until it was too late.

3. Soviet Union (Ukraine) 1932-34 Between seven and eight million people died as a result of Josef Stalin’s massive industrialisation programme in which the government seized grain for exports. It needed the hard currency to buy industrial equipment. When people in the Ukraine reported a famine, Stalin punished them by refusing to send them food aid.

4. Northwest China 1927 Between three and six million people died. The famine was triggered by drought but made worse by local warlords and harsh taxes.

5. China (Henan) 1943 Five million people died as a result of a combination of invasion by Japan and grain seizures by the Chinese army to feed its troops and finance the war.

6. North Korea 1995-99 Between 2.8 million and 3.5 million people died because of a combination of flooding and government policy.

7. India (Bengal) 1943 Between 2.1 and three million people died as a result of crop failure, the exporting of foods by India’s British administration to Allied soldiers fighting in World War Two, the end of rice imports from Burma following Japanese invasion and a lack of food price controls by the British administration.

8. China (Hunan) 1929 Two million people died because of drought and conflict.

9. Soviet Union (Ukraine and Belorussia) 1946-47 Two million died because of drought and government policy – the re-enforcement of agricultural collectivisation policies after World War Two. This was the last famine in the Soviet Union.

10. Cambodia 1979 Between 1.5 and two million died of famine following a decade of conflict - first during the civil war from 1970 to 1975, then during the brutal Khmer Rouge era until 1978 and finally in the aftermath of the Vietnamese invasion that ended Khmer Rouge rule in 1979.

source

Rahima said: Nomads, it was a private joke between viking and I.

Good! Otherwise you would've got verbal reprimand from me for your racist comment.

juba   

the better question is why is Afirca always behind and underdeveloped technologically,politically, economically?

Originally posted by rudy:

u wanna go pv with beaver-country viking sista? i

say dont!!! lol... think outside the pond!!

to jump back to topic! hey, remember, this happens only when u r prosecuted due to race, religion or tribal reasons! we still doing that in africa!

africans have feed themselves all their lives till the whites came there! n school their sons & daughters to be self induliguent!! period! peace.

this is what I really wanted to say! I see rudy beat me to it. folks here is the answer to you q.

Socod badne

Thanks for the information and the link, but I am afraid that that doesn’t answer my question. I have already said that in the last 50 years, it was rare to see famine outside Africa. The famine in Bangladesh is just an example of that rarity and I think North Korea didn’t suffer as much as some parts of Africa or didn’t get enough media coverage. But in Africa, there must be drought, famine and starvation in at least every decade. In 1974 there was the famous drought in Somalia. In the early eighties there was the famine in Ethiopia. In the early 90s, the city of Baidabo earned the name of the city of death due to starvation. Last year, we witnessed the famine in Niger and now it is again happening in the horn of Africa.

There must be something that makes Africans very susceptible to famine and very weak against drought. I think that the nomad life style and the ignorance among a vast population in Africa are to blame. As long as people are on the move seeking water and grazing land for their sheep and cattle and as long as they are ignorant of the effective ways to store food and water, we will unfortunately continue to see African human beings that are dying of hunger. However, I believe there must be studies and research with the utmost seriousness to address the causes and then the cures.

ScarFace   

Originally posted by Rahima:

Although incredibly simplistic, I’m convinced of this now- Africans are just S.T.U.P.I.D.

They are ****** africa is the richest continent on earth and yet the people are dying in their millions. :mad: :mad:

Black ppl black brains

can someone tell me why the north africans arent dying of hunger? :confused:

Jaylaani   

can someone tell me why the north africans arent dying of hunger? :confused: [/QB]

That is very simple. They aren't N.I.G.E.Rs...that is why!