Sign in to follow this  
Liibaan

I hold a vision of peace for Somalia Amanda Lindhout

I have to agree with Sherban on this one. A hero by definition is someone who did something courageous. And this Linda lady had to be courageous to go to Somalia of all places. Heck, I wouldnt go! The Somali Canadians felt bad for her and probably threw a party for her as they love throwing parties(welcome, good-bye, divorce party, engagement party,separation party, back-together party, friends party, you name it, they celebrate it!) in Canada. The dahab was probably from some Somali woman's old collection. So I fail to see the big deal.

NGONGE   

Heh@Sherban. This would have worked last week. But now we all know better. We saw the Mossad using fake passports to enter Dubai. :D

(I am only teasing, saaxib. Don't get all serious now).

Edit:

You were born in 1988? :eek:

Bloody student.

dude if you are such a journalist you need to see the world some more and hit the history books. Cadaan people carry out some nasty acts under the guise of philantropy, love, faith and what-not. Be offended by fact if you so wish. Non-whites in some parts of the world take a lot of cr*p from cadaan people. That too is fact. I'll be offended by that. There we're even. Moving on. You seem so emotional about this you fail to recognise I was criticising the Somalis. Did she actually do any reporting? Or did she get nabbed before that? If they'd given her a necklace saying survivor or patient or resilient I'd have had no issue. Hero, though? For what?

I don't see a war journalist as a hero any more than I do a soldier. All doctors aren't in the profession because they love to heal humanity. There are other perks. And pitfalls. They all know what they're getting themselves into. Suck it up or get another day job.

LOL at the use of the word scoop. In one breath she's meant to be highlighting what few others have the balls to, in another she's not after a fresh story. What the. If she wasn't there for an exclusive and there were others already doing a good job, why would she have gone?

I disagree, war journalists or whatever they are called definitely have better street cred and eventual kudos than the Britney reporters. She could be after the thrill and glory too. It's not everyone's cup of tea. There's a certain type of adrenaline junkie this sort of reporting appeals to. Love really is pushing it too far. I don't see her saying she does it for love. Why put that on her? Why put that on the Somalis? They don't need love from a journalist; that's not what journalists do best. They need accurate reporting.

No need to single Somalia out as some place she was compelled to love. She was in Iraq too. I bet you if some sh*t went down in Bhutan, she'd have been there too. Sorry I'm not buying the I heart Somalia love story. You made it up. Journalists! Really.

Originally posted by chocolate & honey:

I have to agree with Sherban on this one. A hero by definition is someone who did something courageous. And this Linda lady had to be courageous to go to Somalia of all places. Heck, I wouldnt go! The Somali Canadians felt bad for her and probably threw a party for her as they love throwing parties(welcome, good-bye, divorce party, engagement party,separation party, back-together party, friends party, you name it, they celebrate it!) in Canada. The dahab was probably from some Somali woman's old collection. So I fail to see the big deal.

the dahab said Hero in Somali. Not the sort of thing an aunty has in the back of the dahab drawer. LoL. We shouldn't have to feel bad for every d*ckhead that blows something up or kidnaps someone.

Shahrazad,

I need to see the world more and hit some history books? Who do you think you're talking to? Yes, I know very well how much cr*p cadaan people are responsible for, sometimes under the guise of help, but that is neither here nor there. Is admiring this woman justifying or denying the horrors that white people have done, in your mind? It makes absolutely no sense.

You keep on repeating the same things over and over again. You haven't addressed - or aknowledged - a single point I've made. Your message is basically "she couldn't have done it out of love, because she must have had some other interest". Very well, if that's your opinion so be it, but don't try to back it up with your incomplete and poor understanding of journalism, because it's not working.

My guess is you're not after a rational discussion. You had some sort of emotional reaction when you saw the article (my guess is of the negative sort) and now you try to hammer that home at the expense of logic, truth and other stuff people like.

I think Shez makes a good point.

She knowigly went to somalia despite all news of war, piracy, kidnapping etc.

Shabelle do you know why no news organization requries their journalists to go to somalia ?.. because it is an incridebly foolsih and foolhardy thing to do .... glory is the only motivator that makes sense to me.

why would her kidnap come as a surprise to her or anyone else. Frankly I would be very surprised (pleasanlty) if she went to somalia and was not kidnapped that would be news.

It is good for her that she harbors no bitterness.

the dahab said Hero in Somali. Not the sort of thing an aunty has in the back of the dahab drawer. LoL

They could've sent old dahab to Dubai to be molded again with the name hero or an aunt who is a Somali Hero Regifted? icon_razz.gif LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. I know I'm pushing it. Just wanted to play the Devil's advocate and get on your nerves a bit. Carry on.

Naden   

Sherban, look what your student ID did to my screen :mad: And nobody is born in 1988 :rolleyes: Just kidding.

I don't even know why they kept this inconsequential woman for all these months. They could have hijacked at least 5 ships or kidnapped 10 people. Somebody needs to brush up on their Six Sigma methodologies.

Good God, I'm talking to a kid? :D Got it.

You made points did you, S? Other than love made her do it? Really, LOL. Musta missed them, like I missed what she she did to be a hero. And what the Somalis did to deserve such random love. Canadian thing perhaps. They don't get a lot of world attention. If the attention won't come to them, they go to the attention.

Anyway, funny that you want rationality when you talk of love :D . YOU have no answer other than romanticising what journalists do. LOVE may be her truth but you don't know that. There are other explanations.

Be damned if I'd give anyone a pressie for going somewhere war torn and getting kidnapped. Don't they make TV shows about that? World's worst thieves! World's worst reporters! If you bungled it, you can't have been good at what you were doing but we THINK you had good intentions, love even, awww, bless, here a naff necklace that says We're suckers in an ethnic language.

Ridiculous.

I'm looking for facts. What did she DO to deserve this? You're saying let's assume it was all for love. Journalism 101?! :confused:

All I'm saying is not everyone has a halo hovering over them. I see no point in labelling her kidnap or career choice heroic. And even less reason for the Somalis taking it upon themselves to shower her with...love. :D Still everyone's getting some nauseating PR put of it.

You can mock me all you want, it's not making you look any smarter smile.gif

And if you think journalists being kidnapped/killed is such a laughing matter, please consult this website:

http://www.rsf.org/Wars-and-disputed-elections-The.html

Unlike soldiers, journalists aren't out to kill anyone. They're out to show that there is killing, so that one day maybe the killing will stop. And, unlike soldiers, journalists don't have tanks and jets backing them up.

Attention, glory? Why not become a professional athlete, a singer, a dancer, an actor, whatever? Adrenalin? Why not become a racing driver, or a pilot?

99% of reporters do their job out of love and dedication. Also, you should know - since you're not a kid like me - that love isn't earned. It just comes into existence or it doesn't. And that's that.

B   

Shebel with his western liberal attitude and his lack of understanding of Somali affairs and psyche are a deadly mix. shebel are you on a civilising mission to save somalia?

Castro   

Unless she writes a book telling how she really feels about Somalis, this woman has courage, grace and empathy.

A hero? Perhaps. But it's more likely whoever ordered that necklace spoke English as a second language and has no clue what the word means.