Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Will Somali society become more religious or secular in the future?

This question has been on my mind over the past few days. Every where I go in Minneapolis I notice stark contradictions within the community. Depending on where one is at the time, its either very religious individuals or very secular down right non practicing ones. Another pattern is that the new arrives are very religious, while those who have been here for a few years are becoming less so.

It’s weird, what say you?

^^^In a way I agree with you, but whats a better term?

Also whats your take since you live in a Muslim state, whats your observation of the Somali's there?

N.O.R.F   

You know how it is over here saxib. Somalis (western expats or Somali expats) are happy to be in a peaceful Muslim country where they can work and live a normal life. Mosques are aplenty and quran and courses are widely available.

Your question is on Somalis in the west and I think Somalis are becoming more religious if what I see whenever I go to the UK can be used as evidence. They're more informed these days with the wealth information available to them. The internet has been a major advantage in that respect.

It is inevitable that there will be people who are less religious. Location doesn't really matter and that is the case in every country.

^^^Good point there. I agree with you on the part of the UK, our generation are stronger when it comes to their identity and confident, however I am not sure that many are not becoming less religious with time. Specially here.

North, you know you will not get off that easy.

Explain to me when one says hebel and heblaayo are more religious than the other, etc etc or less religious, what does that mean exactly?

Do we have a point man/woman who goes around keeping scores? Or do you solely base your biased on the outawear?

The topic was not about who should be labelled secular and who shouldn't but a question based on personal observation and you have yet to answer the growing trend of new arrivals clinging to religion more so than the farah who lived in the west for 10, 15 yrs. What gives?

Polanyi   

duke, the price of khamees is rocketing in london, especially amongst somali teenagers/men in their 20s. ;)

ps. Somalis will probably become like the Pakistani community. Some worshiping Allah, and some not.

NinBrown   

good observation lads.

I think Somalis now are either religious or wild. This point was made to me by a friend( non-Somali) who said 'every mosque in London the biggest regular congression are Somalis. But at the same time the wildest people he sees in his area are Somalis (gans he is from Woolwich).

however, in London I see more and more practising people.

I prosume North America is different.

The trend is definitely growing. More and more young people are becoming more interested in their religion. The only development that worries me is the mixing of religion and politics, and the overtly emotional rhetoric that is attached to the USA’s imperialist ambitions.

What is clear though is there is definitely a battle of ideas going on within Islam itself.

However there is somewhat of a generational gap within the UK itself.This new breed of ultra rabid mongrel Somalis I’m seeing lately has no basis of culture let alone religion. Emotive i know, but they are disgrace to all Somalis. :mad:

NinBrown even here its the same, most of the Mosques in MN were founded by Somali's and we do make up the largest Muslim community in the state, but gangs, troubled youth, single mothers are on the rise.

I have even come across some individuals who have been here less than a few years who deny the existance of God and act ever so confused.

The other trend is that I have observed individuals changing from religious to less in short time, the longer they have been here, and this is the more interesting phenomenon.

NGONGE   

This is the tail end of the Surwaal gaab trend. I expect it to die out within five years and for the short skirt, swooshy hair and pierced bellybuttons to dominate the mainstream for another twenty years before a repackaged Salafi movement returns to wrest the initiative once again. Cyclical stuff, innit!

220px-Edna_adan_egal_lyndon_johnson.jpg

NGONGE   

^^ Who said I was taking the piss? I am as serious as Faroole when he gets angry warya. :D

It started after the war in Somalia and built up slowly until we reached the stage we are at now. As soon as Al Shabab are defeated things will begin to head the other way again.