Sign in to follow this  
Viking

Iranian's 16-year wait in airport inspired Spielberg movie

Viking   

Am not promoting the movie but was amazed by the story of this man. One has to have some loose bolts to do what he did...

Copyright © 2004 The Daily Star

Thursday, September 02, 2004

Iranian's 16-year wait in airport inspired Spielberg movie

Nasseri now calls himself 'Sir Alfred'

By Agence France Presse (AFP)

CHARLES DE GAULLE AIRPORT, France: Passengers at Paris's main airport who wander into the basement shopping section of Terminal One may spot a gaunt, moustachioed figure sitting amid a pile of boxes and scribbling fervently on a note pad.

In the strange and timeless atmosphere of an international departure area, he pays little heed to the hordes who pass before him every day. He rises with the arrival of the first cleaner, washes and shaves in the public bathroom and eats takeaways from McDonald's.

If there is an air of permanence about him, that is not surprising. For Merhan Karimi Nasseri has been in the same spot for no less than 16 years.

Caught originally in an immigration trap - unable to enter France, nowhere to go - he has long since become psychologically dependent on his unusual choice of abode. He calls himself Sir Alfred, and this small section of airport parquet and plastic bench is his domain.

It is a peculiar story, and one which came several years ago to the ears of the Hollywood director Steven Spielberg. He saw its potential, and the result is "The Terminal," which opens in Europe and Asia next week and across the Middle East soon after getting its European premiere Wednesday at the Venice film festival.

Starring Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta-Jones, "The Terminal" is about a visitor to New York from eastern Europe who finds himself stranded at JFK airport after his fictional country erupts into civil war. The airport becomes his home, as he befriends the staff and has a love affair with a hostess.

For Nasseri the film has meant tens of thousands of dollars (euros) reportedly - but unverifiably - paid over in royalties as well as a constant stream of gawking visitors and interested journalists. But life goes on unchanged, a movie poster above his arrangement of boxes and bags the sole concession to his new status as "the man who inspired The Terminal." "I have not seen the film," he said in an interview this week. "Maybe I will if they bring me a video. I have not been able to spend the money because naturally I cannot buy a house here and if I park a car outside they will blow it up. But one day when I get my passport for America ..." According to airport doctor Philippe Bargain, who visits him every week, Nasseri's physical health is fine, but his mental condition is another story. "He is on the same record as everyone else, just on a different track," he said.

Thus details of his past life are hard to establish. It is known that he was born 59 years ago in Iran, and that he briefly attended Bradford University in Britain where he claims to have studied Slav languages. Returning to Iran he was imprisoned as a suspected dissident by the Shah's police and deported.

After that he was shunted between France, Italy and Belgium, trying unsuccessfully to reach Britain where he said his mother - a British nurse - was living. However today he denies this story. After periods of imprisonment for illegal entry, he parked himself at Charles de Gaulle airport in 1988.

Though he says he dislikes his life at the terminal, he had the chance to leave in 1999 when he was granted refugee status. However seeing his name on the papers as Merhan Karimi Nasseri - and not Sir Alfred - he said they were forged and refused to sign. He spends his days staring into space or feverishly jotting down passenger announcements. He refuses to move far from his encampment, which includes a hanging rail with a row of laundered clothes, for fear of theft. Occasionally he buys a book.

At film's end, Tom Hanks learns the fighting in his home country is over and reaches Manhattan. Sir Alfred says he also intends to live in New York - indeed he claims the US visa is on its way - but the truth is more banal. The man who inspired "The Terminal" is staying there.

By Hugh Schofield, Agence France Press

Copyright © 2004 The Daily Star

nuune   

waaaw, that was greaat story, am gona c dat film Terminal tonight, and c da real story against da fiction one lol

i dont think u promoted the film...

that article just killed it for me...seriously., living in an airport for 16 ears...i couldnt do it, or watch anyone else do it.

its like, everyone else has a life. and places to go ..and your frozen on the same spot...siiidh!

Paragon   

Sometimes you drop your jaw in amazement but this story wins the cake. The fact that one can live - 16 years - in a Terminal environment testifies agaisnt those of us who claim to feel home-sick after just- how many years? - 2 or 3 years!

PS: I wonder when the Terminal Man will publish his memoirs of airport announcements. "He may as well have recorded valuable information about terrorist networks re-grouping in De-Gaulle's airport" Dubya would likely say so.