Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Harmful Cultural Practices against Women around the World

^^ I dont give a damn what an adult person does to himself/herself. Thats their choice and I wouldnt waste a second thinking about it.

However, when these practices are commited to children (newborn-15 yrs old)--who have absolutely no choice in the matter--->then its serious and I care. These children have no voice, are incredibly vulnerable and it makes me very mad when people do this horrible acts against them.

Anyways: What are you trying to say?

Wiilo   

What are you trying to say?

FF dear what I'm trying to say is that its all about CULTURE though I agree with you on this, children are innocent and must not go through such a pain, but what we need to understand is that--that is thier culture and its a norm to do such thing...

FF dear this is my Q for you, how do you stop/prevent such culture/norm/practice? that has been going on for a long period of time.....How do you approach this issues?...............

Go figure:................

OH! I think I get it now. Did you think I was trying to encourage the people to organize protest, or write to the leaders of that particular area, send money---basicaly do something to stop it?

Wiilo, I know that you and I are not in a position to do anything about that. If change is going to occur--it has to be within those people. SOme of these practices have been banned by their respective governemnts...but people are very attaached to their traditions and still continue it in secrecy.

Alot of people dont know what occurs in other cultures---and I just wanted to open their eyes to it. It makes people appreciate their lives and feel grateful when they see people in oworse situations than them.

Anyways Wiilo sis...we have different opinions on this matter--so we should just accept it. You won't change my mind...and it looks like neither will I yours.

Salaam

Wiilo   

FF dear I think we are on a same page for this issue, and I understand ur piont of view on this and where u r going with it, I really appreciate all the things that u have been posting for this issue................

It has been very informatives article/pictures,,, thanks again gal..........

Go figure:...................

Wiilo   

I found this interesting article and i want to share with y'all although many of u know this issue............

Unicef urges action against female cutting

swissinfo February 4, 2005 3:43 PM

Somali women campaigned against the widespread practice of genital cutting at a rally last year (Keystone)

The United Nations children’s fund says the practice of female genital cutting – common in parts of Africa – is an issue in Switzerland, due to immigration.

In a report on Friday, Unicef points out that 7,000 women and girls now living in Switzerland have undergone the procedure.

Unicef urges action to combat genital mutilation

Swiss act to protect women's rights

The UN body is calling for action, including better training of medical professionals and social workers to deal with the issue.

It says migrants should be informed about the health risks involved and the consequences of breaking the law. Dialogue with migrant families and girls threatened by the practice is an essential aspect of prevention, it adds.

Unicef estimates that as many as 130 million women and children around the world have undergone some form of the traditional practice, which involves cutting away part of the female genitals.

It warns that genital cutting can lead to lifelong health problems and an increased risk of dying or being permanently injured during childbirth.

As a result of immigration – principally from Somalia, Ethiopia and Eritrea – around 7,000 circumcised women and girls are currently living in Switzerland, where the practice is punishable by law, according to Unicef.

Female genital mutilation is a taboo.

Elsbeth Müller, Unicef Switzerland.

“Female genital mutilation is a taboo, not only in the countries where it is practised, but also in Europe,†said Elsbeth Müller, secretary general of Unicef Switzerland.

To cast more light on the issue in Switzerland, Unicef carried out a survey last year of 1,800 medical staff and social workers. It found that 61 per cent of gynaecologists and 38 per cent of midwives had treated circumcised women.

Forty per cent of those questioned had had to deal with problems resulting from female cutting.

Four doctors and two midwives said they had been asked to carry out the operation.

Medical workers said they believed that genital cutting was being carried out in Switzerland by foreign doctors: 203 professionals said they had heard of such cases.

The survey revealed a lack of information about the problem in Switzerland. Three-quarters of those questioned said the issue should be addressed during medical training.

Doctors and social workers also called for professional-conduct guidelines on dealing with the problem.

Unicef says female genital cutting is punishable by law in Switzerland because it entails serious physical injury. Parents who send their daughters abroad to undergo circumcision are also guilty of breaking the law, it says.

The children’s fund also points out that as a signatory state of the European Convention on Human Rights, Switzerland is legally obligated to protect girls against the practice.

1,799 medical and social workers in Switzerland took part in the Unicef survey.

- 518 of them said they had treated circumcised women.

203 people said they had heard of cases of girls being circumcised in Switzerland.

- Four doctors and two midwives said they had been asked to carry out the operation.

breif

Worldwide over 130 million women and girls have been circumcised.

In Switzerland, around 7,000 women are affected.

As a signatory state of the European Convention on Human Rights, Switzerland is obligated to protect women against forced circumcision.

Related Sites

- Unicef

- Unicef report on genital cutting in Switzerland (German, French, Italian)

http://www.swissinfo.org/sen/Swissinfo.html?siteSect=111&sid=5516669

Som@li   

Nice articles,

One my friends send a link with more about the FGM, i never been so shocked when i saw some of the pics.

After reading and seeing the pics, my perception has completely changed about this issue.my deepest sympathy for those who ever been thru this horrific and voilent acts.

With her kitchen knife the operator first pierces and slices open the hood of the clitoris. Then she begins to cut it out. While another woman wipes off the blood with a rag, the operator digs with her sharp fingernail a hole the length of the clitoris to detach and pull out the organ. The little girl, held down by the women helpers, screams in extreme pain; but no one pays the slightest attention.The operator finishes this job by entirely pulling out the clitoris, cutting it to the bone with her knife. Her helpers again wipe off the spurting blood with a rag. The operator then removes the remaining flesh, digging with her finger to remove any remnant of the clitoris among the flowing blood. The neighbor women are then invited to plunge their fingers into the bloody hole to verify that every piece of the clitoris is removed.

fmggirl.jpg

^^Egyptian girl undergoing Female Genital Mutilation.

fmgwoman.jpg

GENOCIDE,FGM

Warning: Some of the pictures on this site are not suitable for children. They are extremely disturbing!!!

Wiilo   

As I was reading these articles about FMG I came across one of the pictures in there, and I was shocked seriously, I couldnt beleive what I saw. Its devastating, i wonder who came up with such an idea in the first place... this is basically a torture and it should be stoped. :mad: :mad:

Go figure:...........

Emperor   

Even thou some of the Articles and the pictures are too horrific to read/watch, I find the topic to be very iformative.

Such cultures and practises are unpleasant and causing harmful experience. But be aware that the very same people who practise this for their idiotic cause feel they are right, and you are a backward lame ***** to them and vice versa.

So where the hell is world going on? Who is right and who is wrong? Well, before making any allusions you gota ask yourself who is to decide?

I think in the end the rich, the victors and the powerful will decide who is right from who is wrong on the bases of his belief(faith/culture), and thus write the history(his own version of history) and sets values and standards for the citizens of the world (human beings).

For that matter I rest my case on this particular issue.

J.Lee   

Its devastating, i wonder who came up with such an idea in the first place...

I think that FGM was first practiced in ancient Egypt during I believe at the time of Nabi Muse C.W (feel free to correct me cause i'm not too sure if was during Nabi Muse's time). They circumcised the women in the fashion Somalis call fircoon because the women at that time from what I gathered, were too premiscuous and cheated on their husband while they were away on trips/whatever have you and the said husbands were tired of wondering whether they fathered the child their wives were carrying or if some other man did, so they came up with a plan/way that guarenteed that their wives would remain faithful. FGM and As the years developed, the practiced expanded. It became a guarantee for families that their daughters would remain chaste. It also become like a harsher form of a chastity belt except it was on the girls own flesh.

Can you imagine what is like to give birth when you are circumcised? Inaa lilaahi wa'inaa ilaahi raajacuun.

Whether you call it Harmful or not, I am willing to practice whatever my culture stands for, including that of circumcision and so forth. I am even pushing that particular practice just to preserve the circumcision within our beautiful culture. My future children will be subjected to this all-time-good culture. I don't know what will the future reaction be of my future wife. the future will tell, insha allah.

Now, what can you do about it - the likes of Weris Diriye - the so-called UN advocacy for the elimination of circumcisions! :mad:

OG_Girl   

^^No one blamming you but when "your" culture against Islam teaching; The commonsense says drop that culture cause it's not good culture!

Salam

Rahima   

Am I blamed simply because I stand for my culture?

Yes you are, because you are going against that which has been sanctiones by the One you claim to need.

Whether you call it Harmful or not, I am willing to practice whatever my culture stands for, including that of circumcision and so forth. I am even pushing that particular practice just to preserve the circumcision within our beautiful culture. My future children will be subjected to this all-time-good culture. I don't know what will the future reaction be of my future wife. the future will tell, insha allah.

I would of have thought that you were joking, until you said inshallah.

This is just disgusting walaahi.

I hope for your sake, your akhira that you leave behind this jaahilnimo.

On the other hand I also hope that you were joking (even that is disturbing, I cant see how anyone could take this subject lightly).

To say that this is dissappointing, especialluy coming from you brother, would be an understatement.

I didn't take you for one who would choose culture (man made concept) over that which is sanctioned by the Alimighty Allah, the Sunnah of Rasuallah. At the very least you should retract these uterly revolting comments (it almost made me physically sick, especially after viewing the pics).