Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Harmful Cultural Practices against Women around the World

Wiilo   

FF look instead of discussing something else why dont we discuss/define CULTURE than,,,

What is CULTURE? And

how do you define it?

Go figure:..................

^ That's a whole new thread by itself.

Femme...

Yeah, those sort of horror statistics used to keep me up at night with rage. Then I discovered the power and beauty of sleeping tablets.

Wiilo sis I think we all know what culture is...and by defining/discussing it, does not make the harmful practices acceptable or any less horrific.

Culture is a set of man made rules of conduct and behaviour. It is dynamic and changes with the time....those with power and influence decide what those rules are.

VR: LOL! You could become addicted---a druggie--with those irresistable prescription bills. Careful, aight? :D

Wiilo   

FF girl ur right we all know what Culture is sis, (and yeah it will take its own thread if we start) but the Q is how its been practiced and who,,,,,,,,,

Go figure:.................

shyhem   

International law may further support the

accommodation of minority cultural practices. Article 27 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights states:

In those states in which ethnic, religious or linguistic minorities exist, persons belonging to such minorities shall not be denied the right, in community with other members of their group, to enjoy their own culture, to profess and practice their own religion, or to use their own language.

^^This should make sense to you.

Femme Fatalie

I really don't know what this crap about culture is coming from. When an act is set out to hurt/damage a person for unnecessary reasons, physically and/or mentally---it is wrong! Damn culture to hell.

If you don't know where the crap about culture is coming from,why on earth are you criticising poor folks who are peacefully practicing what is basically their right.How do u know it is meant to hurt others unnecessary or were you on the recieving end of footbinding.U can claim this practices to be wrong,but remember one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.My dear, you preaching us about the harmful effects of footbinding is like Dubya bragging about bombing Baghdad to democracy.Somethings just don't make sense,you got my drift?

Just because it is a cultural act--it should be tolerated? And I guess you guys would agree to female infanticide and the western culture of abortion?

Now what are you talking about here or do u think this is a Jehovah witness meeting.If the western culture allows abortion and if the women in the west want to do abortion,then there is nothing i can do about it.I do not make laws and i guess only God can judge them.

Shyham: What are you trying to prove? That you have no heart?

Nothing,I do have aheart,its just that i'm not interested in sharing it with anyone,especially with folks like you with feminst agenda.I should have told you i'm allergic to feminst at all.

No thought of anyone but yourself?

Oh pretty women you should know better.How can i care about others,if i don't put myself first.Charity begins at home.Aman gotta do what a man gotta.I'm not a hypocrite and i'm not liar and definately i don't give a damn about the world.

Do you want a medal now? Bro...stop sweating..no one asked you to open your wallet and help these women.

Medal,What on earth will i possibly do with a medal,hang it on my wall and tell my future grand kids that the great Femme had the honor to present this medal to me on behalf of the feminst movement,oh please baby.Do i want medals?No, thank you abaayo,Please keep the medal to u'rself for i do not want to be corrupted.

As for the opening of the wallet,i usually do it at a time of my own choosing.And I'm not yet ready to join the campaign against footbinding.Its just doesn't look like something that will appeal to my dollars.I rather donate and educate a poor orphan girl in Africa....which ofcourse i did than cry over a foot in Asia that was bent in a way i didn't like.

The thread was to open people's eyes to the reality of the horrors that culture could bring.

Some eyes are not yet ready to opened.In addition,let the sleeping dog lie.

And since you are so young,so fragile,so naive and so full of energy,i thought i should dedicate this song to u'r likes.Even though i don't expect an Usher generation like to comprehend this 80's suff

The song is called "white wedding"-by billy Idol

Hey little sister what have you done

Hey little sister who's the only one (only one)

I've been away for so long (so long)

I've been away for so long (so long)

I let you go for so long

It's a nice day to start again

Come on it's a nice day for a white wedding

It's a nice day to start again, wow

There is nothing fair in this world

There is nothing safe in this world

and there's nothing sure in this world

And there's nothing pure in this world

Look for something left in this world

Start again come one

It's a nice day for a white wedding

Wow, it's a nice day to start again

It's a nice day to start again

Besbasso

I really don't have much to say about F.G.M.Do u think it's fun to make love to a circumcised woman, if its indeed true about what they are saying about F.G.M

As far as i'm concerned i'm not going to discriminate somali women on the basis of who did or who didn't undergo the knife.The quality of life with my wife does not depend on her childhood experiences.

Bess.   

Besbasso

I really don't have much to say about F.G.M.Do u think it's fun to make love to a circumcised woman, if its indeed true about what they are saying about F.G.M

As far as i'm concerned i'm not going to discriminate somali women on the basis of who did or who didn't undergo the knife.The quality of life with my wife does not depend on her childhood experiences.

wow...we present u with this dilema and u all u could say is do u think it is fun to make love with a circumacised woman.... ...to answer ur question i don't know.....i have never made love to a woman.... :rolleyes:

folks like you with feminst agenda.I should have told you i'm allergic to feminst at all.

behalf of the feminst movement,oh please baby

do not want to be corrupted.

you are so young,so fragile,so naive and so full of energy,i thought i should dedicate this song to u'r likes

Very cute, Shyham. I guess it was hard for you to get your point across without name-calling and labelling isnt it? How has being a feminist or whatnot even come into the discussion? What is wrong with you? You have major problems bro---I dont have time for this, nor interest. You are obviously dying for attention-->assalamu aliakum.

P.S. I see you wetting your pants over imaginary "feminist agenda or conspiracy"...but that is just plain ridiculous. Your just being pathetic now.

once upon a time in america, it was customary to lynch a nigger if they suspected them of liking (or so much as looking at) their women (their white american women). twas also, more or less, their custom that black women could be used and abused by white men and theyd have to put up with it.

Diamante   

Posted by Shehrazade:

Any opportunity to draw blood. SOL is turning into an online Transalvania.

couldn't agree more, ppl need to chill :cool:

P.S. the articles are interesting, i've always wondered why the chinese had so small feet, guess now i know...

yesterday, L.C.Dorcey, a speaker, civilright activist, a writer, and a professor at Mississippi university was giving a lecture on Civil Rights movement and the history of African Americans before 1950s and after 1960s at SMSU.

since i am a member of the black student union, i had to be there, even knowing the fact i get annoyed and furious at white people after hearing the history of african-americans. however, after all it was a halla off fascinating stories..tears were drippin outta my eyes.. one story was how white men used to sleep with thier black servents and when thier wives came to knowledge..they used to beat them poor black servents to death and throw them in a lake.. at that time the lake was knowing as the " Whores lake". because of that reason alot of black slave women were afraid of water or were hydrophobic...other than that she talked about the curfews black folks bestowed upon and many tearful stories, specially for black women.

juba   

Originally posted by -Femme Fatale-:

....those with power and influence decide what those rules are.

yea like men, wonder why all these culture atrocities are towards women? :rolleyes:

BTW very intersting articles FF keep it up smile.gif

^^I will inshallah.

LIP PLATING:

et_s14.jpg

When a girl reaches the age of about five...they slit a hole in her lip and put in a small disk..as she gets older...the disks increase in size..until her lips are stretched out of proportion.

23624.jpg

Usually in Chad, Ethopia, and Brazil.

Wiilo   

mdf404096.jpg People everywhere tend to praise thier onw lifestyle as normal, humane, refined, and enlighted. Other cultures are bizzare. Or foolsih. Or evil, wild, childish, absurd, even sub-human. What we do is right, and what they do is wrong. Of course our cultural norms are equally peculiar to other. Many of the cultural peculaiarities of other people are increasingly showing up on our own doorstep--and vice versa. I think we just need to understand other cultures that is all......

Go figure:.................