Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Inferiority complex = Self Hating Somalis

Ibtisam   

I was just highlighting that only as a successful individual can you do anything for anyone else. Somali culture on its own is pants. You have to take something else to the shiir. Somali cultural awareness is like the icing on the cake, it makes it look pretty and little sweeter, but who needs icing if you have a yummy chocolate cake. Icing on its own will just make you sick after 1minute.

P.s. He has not had kids because in accordance with western culture he is planning and enjoying married life first, children were not his primary motivation for getting married. It is common in self hating Somalis :D LOL

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by -MARX-:

These are two extremes IBZ! you are not being objective but making judgements according general stereotypes

:D

Originally posted by Abu_Diaby- Al Zeylaci:

Most OF Somali culture is defined as men riding camels, singing songs to them and writing great poetry. You see, the guys that are blacksmiths and agriculturalists are left out. Women; ku waba iskada.

We, also apparently defeated the British and the Italians, although our great Mullah did end up defeated and died in exile in Oromo Land.

We also had the best Army in Africa, and Siyad Bare was a saint or hitler( depending on what side of the fence you family sits on).

And yes, we have great dances and we can move that the move. My point is that: to what extent do cultural things really matter to Somalis West. I think not much. Most of us who live and grew up in the West are not totally engrossed in Somali culture and we never will be. Marx, what aspects of Somali culture should people in the West be taught about?

I would simply be happy if my kids( inshallah) obeyed my orders, did well at school, stayed away from trouble and were good muslims. I wouldn't want to be one of these fake timajilcs who is rupinder at home, but robbie at school and the west. the end.

( this reminds of my sixth form, somalis in the lower high school had to come up with a display about their country and culture; in the end there had to two big posters for Somalia and SOmaliland)

Wax barta aan baraara gaarnee

Most of Somali culture is not defined as men riding camels or reciting moving poems. Somali culture is more inclusive and gender blind then most critics admit. Few years back I went to one of the local universities and borrowed an eight-hour documentary series called “The Africans” by professor Ali Mazrui of Princeton University. It was really fascinating how the professor summarized the cultural heritage, and political development of modern Somalia then. The documentary was made around 1986. Xaawo Taako, he noted, stood at the center of Mogadishu as a symbol of Somalia’s struggle against Italian colonialism. It’s interesting that the statute of stone-thrower depicted the heroism of Somali masses while Xaawo’s statute with the gushing blood as a result of enemy hit epitomized individual courage.

If Wiil Waal was a clever political leader, Arraweelo was even shrewder and her reign resulted in far reaching political alignment. If Cigaal Shiidaad, the Coward, represented the stuff of mirth and hilarity, Dhagdheer, the Long Eared, represented a terrifying character that ate human’s alive---a gender polarity that breaks traditional stereotypes.

If Mattan Ciideed was a nomad warlord who sat up roadblocks and raided trade caravans from Berbera, Saxarla…(you got my drift). So this culture that glorifies camel riding men and ignores the rest of the society is inexistent as far as Somalia is concern.

edit: also,if Sayid was a mullah warrior, Sh. Aweys was a peaceful one :D

Reducing Somalia’s political evolution and its long history to Barre’s two-decade rule and the subsequent divisions it resulted is quite unfair. Equally unfair is the notion of equating any political discussion regarding Somalia to divisive clannish talk. That sort of naiveté kills the genuine spirit of Somali nationalism…

Marx has a reputation of youthful bantering, but this post of his is truly an intellectual bullet. NGONGE may find some holes in Marx thesis but that’s just NGONGE. Somali culture is important.

How important? Very, very important :D !

NGONGE   

It's only an intellectual bullet if you close one eye and squint with the other, Xiin.

I did say it was a good idea but Marx, as ever, spoilt it by the way he presented it.

Still, what you're seeing there and what he's talking about seem to be two different things to me.

ps

Ibti, I think most people are BANG in the middle of the two examples you gave there.

going on daqan Ceelis to Somaliland in april at the tender age of 49 should cure your self-hating tendencies NG, though its long overdue! Nonetheless sxb, i am interested to know why you deny this epidemic in our community and call it 'stuff and nonesense'?

Perhaps you could tell me what the difference between my honourable mentor xiin and my opinions are?

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by -MARX-:

going on daqan Ceelis to Somaliland in april at the tender age of 49 should cure your self-hating tendencies NG

:D:D:D

NGONGE   

^^ Don't listen to him. I am actually only 48.

Marx, I still have no idea what you're talking about. Xiin picked out one thread of your argument and decided that this is it. But you did write loads of other nonsense there. So, which is it? Somali culture? Self-hate? Kids? Adults? Mixing with other people? Not mixing with other people? WHAT!

Give me a well thought argument and I shall happily join you in this discussion. Give me half cooked thoughts and I shall, as always, take the mick.

Ibtisam   

Epidemic in our community :eek: Why really, considering our current community (UK) lack of culture/ language is hardly a plague, probably least of worries behind a long list of crimes, drugs, run away teenagers, antisocial behaviour, lack of deen, increasing prison population, underachievement. I could go on. This issue is like fixing the makeup of a women who just got run over by a lorry.

Ngonge, it is possible, but those are the two extremes I meet. 48 :eek: gosh time does pass fast, I remember when you was able to walk on your own without a stick. :D

Nephissa   

Gone are the days when a big forehead and being skinny or wearing a penguin style hijab and having a limited grasp of English were key features that identified a Somalis from amongst the crowd.

true true, I no longer get asked now about how things are now with the "troubles"..... a great releif. Phew!!

The last one is very important. I have heard so many times Somalis say “I don’t like this area or that area, because there are too many Somalis there”

:mad: Oh my God I have a personal beef with ppl who say things like " Somaalidaa meesha dagto" iyo " I dont want to live there because I dont want Soomalida inay iga haleeyaan my kids :confused: ." And you know what is funny, the kids are busing to this neighborhood because they want to be near the Somali Community Centers/mosques/gyms , like one middle-schooler said to me "their own kind."

I have relatives who live outside of Minneapolis which is to them "the gheto" or "somali area" in fear of other Somali kids "corrupting their kids" and their kids are looking more and more "Americans" by the day in terms of dress, behavior and attitudes. And I'm like "So you rather have some Gaalo kids hunging arround your kids than Somali? And what is this "Shockingly infectious bad behavior they'll catch from the Somalis that they wont learn from Gaalo? Seriously :rolleyes: . They disgust me.

you right...you wana have all the somali families to settle certain area so many Somali speaking teachers can be hired. :D

Just joking, I agree with you I can not stand dadka dhaha Soomali baa meesha dagata. oo ciyaalkayga ayay iga haleynayaan

1) Mohammed is 30years old, he can only understand Somali, but cannot reply back. He speaks Arabic and French, as well as English. Two degrees, a masters and affiliated with many associations, he is a high flyer in his field, a practicing Muslim and looks after his family. He makes friends with those he runs into in his daily life, does not mix with Somalis and usual hang out spots. His only contribution to anything Somali, is when someone is his family is doing a collection or his monthly contributions to Islamic relief. He married two years ago and no children yet, his wife works and they are registered as married.

2) Abdi, is also 30years old, he speaks perfect Somali and English, he can recite poems, knows all the clannish stereotypes and biases, he knows Somali history according to his clans interpretation, he went to malcaamad, and knows the 31st chapter of the Quran. He is a resident figure at all Somali events, he chews qaad occasionally, smokes and has tons of Somali friends and no other friends, he contributes to Somalia/ SL via his clan/ family. He has an Okay job for the last 4years without promotion, and is comfortable. He dropped out of uni, because he thinks he will go back to Somalia and open a business. He married a college drop out 4years ago and they have 2kids and one on the way. His wife is registered as separate and is on the dole, this does not bother him at all.

Loooooool Ibti. The two are not mutually exclusive, dee. The first Abdi can learn Somali, participate in community affairs and try to be a role model for his peepz. And the second one is SOO STEREOTYPICAL. I dont know how to respond to him :D . Waa ku sidee. We dont have to pick one or the other. Waxyaalahaas waad ka roonan jirtay, Ina abti.