Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Inferiority complex = Self Hating Somalis

NGONGE   

^^ Like a child trying to draw a picture of a lion and ending up with something looking like a fat mouse, saaxib. As ever with Marx, something that sounded like a good thought crossed his mind but he didn't think it through as usual and hurried here to share it with us.

I pity the kid that will get mentored by Marx! :D

Ive never heard of a Self hating Somali. Most Somalis, at least in my area, are crazy proud about their culture and background. I have even met some Somalis who are fascist-like in their ill-gotten pride(calling other Africans bantus/negroes/slave s etc.)and routinely mentioning how Somalia had the best airforce or how the Somali army was close to adis abba. When their was a multicultural day or the like at my school, Somalis where among the most vocal and proudest about their identity and they always stood out from the general student pop.

Ibtisam   

Marx, if you want to mentor kids through school, hollar at Sayid Somali, that bully will load you with five kids to mentor. If you want to mentor university students, I will hook you up with young brothers in need of a mentor. smile.gif

As for awareness of the Somali culture/ identity. I am against this to be honest, waa load of rubbish and useless. I'm more interested in giving them a grounded islamic base as their identity.

I think the best an individual can do is;

b) Be successful in whatever you do,

t) be proud of your identity and culture and

j) be close to your community.

The last one is very important. I have heard so many times Somalis say “I don’t like this area or that area, because there are too many Somalis there”

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I pity the kid that will get mentored by Marx!
:D

I am actually a involved in a buddy system where i mentor young somali kids. It very interesting. I try my utmost to not educate them so much on practical things but rather fill their heads of what they can be if they put their minds to it. I was a also a teacher in east london teaching years 3-10 english. I was their favourite teacher, because according to them i was hip and kinda like them! Nothing worse than some middle aged somali teacher instilling his recycled values on you.

Originally posted by Norf 2:

Somaliness can come later on (being aware of where you’re from and the ability to speak some Somali is enough). First thing is first, GRADES!

This exactly why there are so many self-hating Somalis in our community. There is too much pressure to perform and achieving the highest grades possible. Many of these kids, especially those in the education system feel its fine to assume they live in a multicultural society, however once they leave this protective environment and face the big bad world, they realise they know nothing about their sense of self and develop inferiority complex subsequently becoming self-haters, using their academic performance to go to university and securing a decent job - completely disassociating themselves from their community! It appears the less time and emphasis on cultural education counteracts many young people sense of an identity and sense of belonging! cultural grounding should be the first things instilled in our kids!

N.O.R.F   

^So you're now concluding kids who don't go to Somali events/cultural awareness sessions will develop an inferiority complex when they associate with people from other cultures in the future(what happened to kids having friend by the way?)?

Can I conclude the opposite? Kids who know very little about their culture and mix with others are less likely to have an inferiority complex when older than those who do.

Ibtisam   

^^^As sad as it maybe, most successful Somali youngsters are individuals who keep to themselves and keep their head down, not participating in any events or cultural awareness sessions. Those who hanged around with other Somalis and wasted their time or events iyo cultural awareness lag behind both in individual achievement, expectations and desire to get ahead. Instead they live in a little bubble that it is okay to just get by and not take any risks or push yourself so hard, after all everyone you know is in the same boat. They find it difficult to settle in different environments and as such get stuck in dead end jobs.

The most successful people in our community are barely visible, because they have adapted to their environment and are go getters, rather than participating in talking shops and wasting their time standing around coffee shops/ shisha spots, instead mixing with the most successful and self driven people, regardless of their background/ race.

Kids who mix with others, get on very well with other, perform better in life, and worse comes to worse, they reach about 25years old and then do a two months crash course in Somali-ness.

Nothing sad about not wasting your time in the perpetual but completely time-wasting 'cultural awareness' And Somali related events. Infact, I would say these places are the breeding grounds for hate and the perpetuation of whatever it is that divides somalis (politics, qabiil, etc).

Basically I concur with North here

Can I conclude the opposite? Kids who know very little about their culture and mix with others are less likely to have an inferiority complex when older than those who do.

Originally posted by Norf 2:

^So you're now concluding kids who don't go to Somali events/cultural awareness sessions will develop an inferiority complex when they associate with people from other cultures in the future(what happened to kids having friend by the way?)?

NO sxb! Cultural awarness starts from the family. Its not the responsibility of event/ cultural awarness sessions to educate our young people about somaliness. as baby and since, i have been giving a cultural grounding by my family who also encouraged me to do as best as i can in school too. I was developing some of the symptoms of inferiority complex before I was saved by a trip to Somaliland.

Originally posted by *Ibtisam*:

Kids who mix with others, get on very well with other, perform better in life, and worse comes to worse, they reach about 25years old and then do a two months crash course in Somali-ness.

By this time its too late. I know many 30-something year olds who cant speak Somali. How embarrassing! This is disgraceful, kulaha two months crash course in somali-ness!!! Self-hating Somalis need an intensive programme of cultural orientation!

Ibtisam   

As usual you are just throwing judgements around with no justifications Marx.

Heads up, you cannot hate them so much and at the same time want to help them.

Pick one:

1) Mohammed is 30years old, he can only understand Somali, but cannot reply back. He speaks Arabic and French, as well as English. Two degrees, a masters and affiliated with many associations, he is a high flyer in his field, a practicing Muslim and looks after his family. He makes friends with those he runs into in his daily life, does not mix with Somalis and usual hang out spots. His only contribution to anything Somali, is when someone is his family is doing a collection or his monthly contributions to Islamic relief. He married two years ago and no children yet, his wife works and they are registered as married.

2) Abdi, is also 30years old, he speaks perfect Somali and English, he can recite poems, knows all the clannish stereotypes and biases, he knows Somali history according to his clans interpretation, he went to malcaamad, and knows the 31st chapter of the Quran. He is a resident figure at all Somali events, he chews qaad occasionally, smokes and has tons of Somali friends and no other friends, he contributes to Somalia/ SL via his clan/ family. He has an Okay job for the last 4years without promotion, and is comfortable. He dropped out of uni, because he thinks he will go back to Somalia and open a business. He married a college drop out 4years ago and they have 2kids and one on the way. His wife is registered as separate and is on the dole, this does not bother him at all.

So Marx, which one offers a better future to society, Somalia and most importantly his family? Which one is a disgrace and an embarrassment?

These are two extremes IBZ! you are not being objective but making judgements according general stereotypes. We need to find a middling ground!

I prefer to be me. Be a proud Somali man who is also happy and has a decent life!

Btw - Why hasnt mohamed not had children yet?? two years is too long!

Abdi has a greater sense of belonging and is more comfortable in his own skin!

Fabregas   

Most OF Somali culture is defined as men riding camels, singing songs to them and writing great poetry. You see, the guys that are blacksmiths and agriculturalists are left out. Women; ku waba iskada. :D

We, also apparently defeated the British and the Italians, although our great Mullah did end up defeated and died in exile in Oromo Land.

We also had the best Army in Africa, and Siyad Bare was a saint or hitler( depending on what side of the fence you family sits on).

And yes, we have great dances and we can move that the move. My point is that: to what extent do cultural things really matter to Somalis West. I think not much. Most of us who live and grew up in the West are not totally engrossed in Somali culture and we never will be. Marx, what aspects of Somali culture should people in the West be taught about?

I would simply be happy if my kids( inshallah) obeyed my orders, did well at school, stayed away from trouble and were good muslims. I wouldn't want to be one of these fake timajilcs who is rupinder at home, but robbie at school and the west. the end.

( this reminds of my sixth form, somalis in the lower high school had to come up with a display about their country and culture; in the end there had to two big posters for Somalia and SOmaliland) :D