Sign in to follow this  
MAXIMUS POWERS

Inferiority complex = Self Hating Somalis

Identity is a contested term but what does it mean to be Somali these days in the Western World? This is an issue I have grappled with and I think most young Somalis in the West face similar identity issues on a daily occurrence that affect our daily thoughts and actions!

Many of us live in multicultural societies represented by a diverse and mosaic set of identities but it’s difficult to create 'our' own distinct identity amongst already established cultures. Many of you will agree this failure to create a single Somali identity has induced a lot of problems for our young people who are surrounded by more influential cultures around whether it be it ‘hip-hop’ ‘Islamic’ ‘African’ ‘Arab’ or even ‘western’ identities, even though Somali culture is influenced by these cultures!

This has led to many self-hating people in our community. In fact, there are more self-hating Somalis than in most other communities. These people are quick to deny their sense of self and often have an inferiority complex. This has had a disastrous consequence for the already strained Somali identity. Gone are the days when a big forehead and being skinny or wearing a penguin style hijab and having a limited grasp of English were key features that identified a Somalis from amongst the crowd.

Many of those who self-hating are discovering new ways to turn their backs on being Somali! And are instead banking on new lifestyles that are detrimental to our very existence. This brain flight has been caused by our own apathy and indifference.

Please dispel the misconceptions on Somali culture and do you best to rescue any self-hating Somali in our midst from losing their rightful and deserved place in the world.

What can you do to help?

Mentor young people

Celebrate Somali cultural heritage

Promote and foster an appreciation of Somali History

Explain the complex issues affecting Somalis

Thanks! your efforts are appreciated!

well kodos buddy... u finally came up with a good idea... i wanna add 1 more idea to what can u do to help?

chose and foster another somali region than your birth somali region!!

i am going to chose puntland!! lol... to spread the notion of somali unity. good job Maraq!!

i understand what your saying, hopefuly they'll come around and it's just a phase. it's not unique to Somalis only. i see it happen everyday with the Hispanics I work with. the ones that speak better English identify themselves as Americans and call the others estupido.

NASSIR   

I agree with Marx. The young who had never seen what Somalia once was has quite developed this sense of identity crisis. Good post.

Malika   

Off the topic, But..

After a Humanities lesson on Developed and undeveloped countries.A young Somali boy,was trying to find something positive to say about Somalia..He was having an argument with his fellow classmate,one cadaan boy asks him 'so whats good about Somalia'? The Somali boy, looked rather proud and said 'where do you think all the gold and diamonds come from?'..fariid!

:D

Mentor young people

Great idea. Count me in on this. In fact, I am willing to volunteer and mentor you, Marx.

Excellent suggestion. How should we go about this? Recite poems?

Maasha Allah. You deserve a ring for this, Marx. Here is what I propose to foster an appreciation of Somali History:

1- A topic about Somalia’s role in advancing Islam in East Africa and the emergence of Muslim Emirates in the region.

2- The birth of resistance movement to rebel against European colonialism

3- The establishment of Somali republic, and the subsequent unification of the country.

Music to my ears, as they say. This is certainly one sure way to win NGONGE and MARX back and have them advance the big Somali idea, instead of wasting talent on small projects.

Paragon   

What can you do to help?

Mentor young people

Thanks! your efforts are appreciated!

We (I, Sayid, Ibti and many other grads) have already (for many months( started such a project in S. London Pri. & High Schools, wanna come ob board, MARX and others?

PS: Malika and Sayid are already doing a great service to the community. They should be acknowledged .

I know you will come on board. We can always on you guys. :D

It takes one person to change the world. All of us should be mentoring our young people. Many of us have developed a tendency of neglecting the needs of our people because we have the privilge of a decent education and opportunity to earn a decent income. The worst culprits are the self-aggrandising fools who hate their sense of self. I have encountered many in my life and pity them with for being trapped in a delirious trance of nothingness!

Those who ignore this issue like my two good friends Norf and NG are to a large extent self-haters based on past admissions!

Xiin, I am happy to mentored by you Adeer! lakiin dont recycle old information and present it as brand new!

This has led to many self-hating people in our community. In fact, there are more self-hating Somalis than in most other communities

Fact? When you say fact,Do you have any facts to proof this?

Generally, i think this is not such a bad idea. Mentoring is difficult. Not everyone can mentor,ya yakhii.

N.O.R.F   

Marc,

As I was reading your first post then came to the third paragraph and read your assertion of people having ‘self hate’ due to the lack of awareness of one’s culture. I think you’re mixing things up and unfairly characterising people with little in the way of logic on how you arrived at such a conclusion (hence why I’m ‘baffed’).

I think you’re talking about two different things.

1. Mentoring kids through school, college, uni, work and career

2. Awareness of the Somali culture (identity).

I believe it’s important to keep the two exclusive of one and another with greater importance given to number 1. Somaliness can come later on (being aware of where you’re from and the ability to speak some Somali is enough). First thing is first, GRADES!

‘Creating’ a Somali identity in the west is what you’re advocating for right? I’m saying we already have that. What else needs to be done? What will the benefits be? Will it help the kids with their grades? How? Will we improve us as a people?

You need to be more specific mate.