Sign in to follow this  
Senora

Desert Flower, The Movie

Senora   

<--- Cant wait to see this..

Ethiopian model, Liya Kebede, will play Waris Dirie in a new movie called Desert Flower, based on the book.

You can catch the trailer here

I heart Liya. And from what I can see, she does a really decent job acting.

Chimera   

I wish we could trade Iman and Waris for Liya Kebede. A self-respecting lady who doesn't need to tell sob stories about her hard struggles in Addis Ababa to get attention. Instead she brings out a clothing line celebrating her culture, marries a man of the same background, and probably jumped on the opportunity when she read the self-depreciating script of Waris life and the negative view it will project towards Somali Society on the big screen. A true Ethiopian indeed, clearly she is a woman that loves herself.

But hey atleast we have Yasmin.

btw i said this before and i will say it again this dumb Waris has turned that barbaric practice FGM suffered by 150 million women, into a ''Somali'' cultural practice in the eyes of the world yet Somali women only represent 5% of this 150 million figure(and that's assuming that every single girl gets this treatment which is b.s). WTF?

-Lily-   

Well if this practice didn't exist she wouldn't have the 'excuse'. She may be whatever she is, call her all the names under the sun but that still does not change that fact that your forefathers/Somalis practice the barbaric act of FGM. That is not something you can escape.

Yeah, just that she brought it to the attention of media outlets doesn't make her sell out and she is writing a novel after all; some writers use contraversy as part of their marketing plan'

I wanted to say something about the movie but i will refrain from it. :D

Salaamaat

Amadeus   

Even if this awful practice is eradicated, it still exists in non physical forms. We still guilt and shame our women for having a lebido and if she doesn't wear a hijab or walks the market without a male chaperone, her entire chastity is in question.

But I digress!

Chimera   

Lily - Lol@'your Forefathers', are these not 'your' forefathers too? or are you just another ajanabi with their nose in Somali business?

Secondly FGM is the domain of women, a tradition promoted and upheld by women, so it would be my 'Foremothers:

''Despite the fact that one of the mentioned reasons of FGM is that men can be sexually satisfied, the practice is mainly done by women, asked for and controlled. Possibly, men are not fully aware of their role in maintaining the practice'' -
Sharing the pain of the bitter hearts: liberation psychology and gender pg 51

--

''Certain trends indicate a positive shift with regard to genital mutilation in Somalia. According to COSPE (meeting 2007), the custom is mainly a female affair and the young generation of men between 15 and 26 do not regard FGM to be a prerequisite for marriage. Somali sources claim that given that fact that men comply with the decisions women make, it should be possible for mothers to oppose FGM. -
Report Female genital mutilation in Sudan and Somalia

Thirdly i don't get the 'excuse' part. Plenty of models whose people practice barbaric rituals but you don't see them trying to ride those sympathy waves. Waris is an opportunistic individual like that other model from America's next[..] whose loud mouth changes nothing on the ground. I respect the real Somali activists who actually do something about it by educating the masses in Somalia instead of discussing it with outsiders who have no influence on the average parent in Somalia.

ps Amadeus what your on about?

Fabregas   

Somali models are opportunistic disgraces to all thoroughbred Islamic, Somali tribesmen and women of noble cushitic and Arabian origins. For that reason, I am out and shall not watching this movie.

NGONGE   

^^ Just have that in your signature and save yourself the typing, my thoroughbred Islamic, noble suchitic Somali tribesman of an Arabian origin. :D

Fabregas waa la falay - someone should translate that for my thoroughbred Islamic, noble suchitic Somali tribesman of an Arabian origin. :D

Agree with Adam-Zayla to certain extent - however men should enforce the law of Allah as they do with other trivial matters concerning women's body or beaty - they should outlaw this practise of fgm, untill then somali women have right to shame all of us who allowed to happen by remaining silent on the matter.

Buuxo   

Great more randoms will stop me to discuss somalia and FGM. And I'll probably end up defending this crazy practise,'No it's a modification ,a little 'nip and tuck' that's all' and we have all kinds of festivities to celebrate entering 'womanhood' :D

-------------------- -------------------- -------------------- --------------------

''Despite the fact that one of the mentioned reasons of FGM is that men can be sexually satisfied, the practice is mainly done by women, asked for and controlled. Possibly, men are not fully aware of their role in maintaining the practice'' - Sharing the pain of the bitter hearts: liberation psychology and gender pg 51

Nonesense, No an absolute, outright lie. Men are not aware of it kulahaa, sheekooy ku nacay. It is one thing to feel ashamed to be associated with such barbaric practice, it is another to completely put the blame on the victims.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by *Buuxo*:

Great more randoms will stop me to discuss somalia and FGM. And I'll probably end up defending this crazy practise,'No it's a modification ,a little 'nip and tuck' that's all' and we have all kinds of festivities to celebrate entering 'womanhood'
:D

LOOOL@a little nip and tuck!!! Good one Buuxo...

I think this whole FGM is overrated...Gabdhaha back home used to look forward to getting the procedure done, all of the sudden we come here and it is a nightmare miyaa? :rolleyes: