Sign in to follow this  
B

Battle of The Ideologies for Somalia

B   

I want to ask a legitimate question. So before I am accused of being an atheist and insulted by the uninformed masses that populate this forum. I want to notify you all that I am a Muslim. So no allegations and insults please.

What is the difference between the different ideologies that have tried to permeate Somalia? Whether it’s Islam or democracy. They are both foreign ideas and have been exported to Somalia from far places. Why are people over-zealous when it comes to Islam and denounce other ideologies especially democracy, communism etc…

Even if we accept these ideas and values wholeheartedly, we need to reconfigure it to suit our needs and make it work for ‘us’ as opposed to the way it was used and practised in its place of origin. We are different people and as such carefully considerations need to be made when importing a new ideology. A study should be done, carefully and meticulously working out if it of any use to ‘us’. But when this was spread by the sword and through manipulative merchants, is it any wonder the people will accept without question. We have accepted Islam without question. Are we the so called ‘noble savage’, who lacks intellectuality and their own historical trajectories, I think not!

We need to have a true expression of Islam. The only way this could be found is through the use of Somali language in translating the Quran in Somali rather than Arabic. Why do we need an intermediary ( Arabic language) to pray to Allah? Why is it read and only accepted in Arabic. If all languages are understood by Allah then all languages should be used in the prayer ritual. The believer should have direct access and there should be faith for all with easy access!

I accept my intellectual/cultural heritage (Islam) not out of conviction because it was forced upon my ancestors. The coloniser was no different from the white colonisers seeking to expand it control and dominance. We need to find whatever existed in pre-Islamic Somalia and recreate/replicate it, at least there that was something 'our' ancestors created rather than being imported wholesale from different places from the world.

In the words of Wangari Maathai -

‘People who are robbed of their heritage during occupation, enslavement and political and religious colonization become disorientated. They lose self-respect, the capacity for self-guidance, leadership and independent decision-making.’

B, ma lahubaa inaad muslim tahay? Koleey waa kuu jeeda waa soo xayd-xaydaneysaaye dhowrkoo maalin aan kaaga haraye (hatching time-ki) :D War annagu Islamka waanu qaadanay waayo Islamku wuxuu inoo la yimi waxaanu hore u haysanin hore usoo arag hore usoo maqal ayadoon nalagu qasbin ayaanu haddaanu somali Maxamed nahay qaadanay taa marka hore sidaa u ogsonow koow dheh su'aalahada kale waxyalo badan ayaad isku qas-qaseeysaaye waxaad soo wadaa af-somali halagu adimo, af-somali quraanka halagu aqriyo, carabigu waa mixnade halaga maarno waxaas jawaabtooda waad ogtahay hana xiijinin bowe.

Showqi   

B , Where do I start?...... Hadaan soo xusuustay! I will start from the beginning.

Bal iga daba dheh:

Alif wax malle

Ba hoos ku hal leh

Ta kor ku laba leh

Tha kor ku saddex leh

Jiin hoos ku hal leh

Intaasi waa Arabic Alphabet oo loo tarjumay Afka Soomaaliga. Taas ayaana kuu cadeeyn kareeysa, in Diinta Islaamku markii ay Soomaaliya soo gaadhay. Ay Soomaalidu markiiba ku sameeyeen Study weeyn sidii ay u fahmi lahaayeen.

BUKURR   

^ That was funny, didn't hear it for a long time.

Interesting topic Mr. B, what I know is that, Islam was introduced to Somalia long before even Arabian peninsula get the message, this means before Egypt, Syria, and the rest. We as a people never had any issues with the faith, and it blended perfectly with our heritage. We didn't lose our language like so many places around the world that totally has been taken over by the outsider figure -which ever it maybe. Our current problem is the new conquest by wahabis to dismantle every good aspect of our life, and replace it with religious dogma, so we can ever be followers, what a shame that this is being done by nobody else but people who claim to be Somalis.

Tuujiye   

^^^ GD good point saaxiib..about time ninyahoo..now you finaly spoke some real stuff with fahmo....good for you saaxiib really...

B waraa bax masaajidka gal oo ashahaado again...learn the history of Somalia! we accepted Islam with out a fight and no arabs ever came to somalia and ruled..we became part of the muslim world way before wadanmadaan muslimiinta lagu qasbay... Like Allamagan told you, we always believed in God and had some what the same kind of believe as Islam and when Islam reached us, we accepted it because it fit our ways of life perfectly...

B saaxiib hadii aad tahay muslim, please baro diintaada because you are very weak...how would you answer any questions about Islam? study the qur'aan saaxiib start with that....

Wareer Badanaa!!!

nuune   

Tuujiska, waa u jeedaa in meeshan qolodaadi ay ka soo buuxsameen, ee nadiifi abaabiina, anaa garab ku siinaayo, cakis aan ku dhahay,

I stopped reading this rubbish markaan maraayey here:

Islam or democracy, They are both foreign ideas and have been exported to Somalia from far places

ailamos   

Originally posted by GDwonder:

Interesting topic Mr. B, what I know is that, Islam was introduced to Somalia long before even Arabian peninsula get the message, this means before Egypt, Syria, and the rest. We as a people never had any issues with the faith, and it blended perfectly with our heritage. We didn't lose our language like so many places around the world that totally has been taken over by the outsider figure -which ever it maybe. Our current problem is the new conquest by wahabis to dismantle every good aspect of our life, and replace it with religious dogma, so we can ever be followers, what a shame that this is being done by nobody else but people who claim to be Somalis.

Spot on GD. We must unclench ourselves from the radicalism coming out of Saudi Arabia. We must go back to our own language and traditions.

Originally posted by B:

Even if we accept these ideas and values wholeheartedly, we need to reconfigure it to suit our needs and make it work for ‘us’ as opposed to the way it was used and practised in its place of origin. We are different people and as such carefully considerations need to be made when importing a new ideology.

Nice, the re-invention of concepts of governance, the Somali experiment :D;)

Originally posted by B:

We need to have a true expression of Islam. The only way this could be found is through the use of Somali language in translating the Quran in Somali rather than Arabic. Why do we need an intermediary ( Arabic language) to pray to Allah? Why is it read and only accepted in Arabic.

Because it says in Surat Yusuf:

12_2.png

"Indeed, We have sent it down as an Arabic Qur'an that you might understand."

Prayers must be said in Arabic because the Quran was revealed in that language. The use of Somali in prayers makes sense to me though, that it would be easier for people to understand what they are reading instead of mumbling words that mean nothing to them. Hence knowing their religion better.

Originally posted by B:

We need to find whatever existed in pre-Islamic Somalia and recreate/replicate it, at least there that was something 'our' ancestors created rather than being imported wholesale from different places from the world.

I'm not sure if Somalis had a "3asr al jahiliyyah" like the Arabs but if we did then going back to pre-Islamic times would negate our Muslim identity wouldn't it? However, I think with 1300 years of Islam, we have created our own unique identity which was shattered in 1991 and replaced with something that is alien to us.

NGONGE   

This thread is as controversial as a zit on a teenager's face. :D

I want to ask a legitimate question. So before I am accused of being an atheist and insulted by the uninformed masses that populate this forum. I want to notify you all that I am a Muslim. So no allegations and insults please.

Really?

I accept my intellectual/cultural heritage (Islam) not out of conviction because it was forced upon my ancestors. The coloniser was no different from the white colonisers seeking to expand it control and dominance. We need to find whatever existed in pre-Islamic Somalia and recreate/replicate it, at least there that was something 'our' ancestors created rather than being imported wholesale from different places from the world.

Oh, THAT kind of Muslim? :D

What is the difference between the different ideologies that have tried to permeate Somalia? Whether it’s Islam or democracy. They are both foreign ideas and have been exported to Somalia from far places. Why are people over-zealous when it comes to Islam and denounce other ideologies especially democracy, communism etc…

Democracy and communism are not faiths, adeer. :D

NGONGE   

^^ He's great entertainment though. LST Allah ha noo daayo. Marko arkay in aan meeshan ku caajisnay, kubbad aan ladhladhno buu no keenay". :D

NGONGE   

^^ Wrong quote lost in translation. The kid said 'anigu waxaan arkaa dead people'. :D

Maaddeey, your way was better, saaxib.