Sign in to follow this  
Nefertiti

Can we think about nothing?

Try this:

Close your eyes and imagine that there are three bubbles in front of you. Now pop the one on the left. Now pop the one on the right. Now pop the one in the middle. And for that moment when all the bubbles have been popped... what were you thinking of? A black space? A colour? For that second, are we thinking about nothing?

Xafsa   

Nefertiti-- I love your signature...thats so true.

At that moment I was thinking about how satisfying it was to pop the middle bubble last.

I have this thing about doing things in order...I'm like Monica in the show Friends.

Athen maybe if you put the whip down just for a minute you can concentrate. ;)

Ah, philosophy! This is so interesting!

I dont think we can think about nothing. I think: at the moment when we think we are thinking about nothing, we are only actually thinking about thinking about nothing. Get it? I'm not sure I do :confused:

:D Seriously though, I think the human mind thinks about way too many things at the same time. That is why we are complicated beings. When someone says "What are you thinking?" And whoever intended answers "Nothing." I think they mean they weren't thinking about one general thing, but rather a whole myriad of things.

With your exercise, the moment when all three bubbles are burst is miniscule, too small to actually recall what you were thinking. Almost immediately, I bet you thought "Hey, I'm thinking about nothing!" therefore ruining the nothingness you were thinking about.

Another thing, what is nothing? Is it a black space? But isn't that something? Then is it clear air? But that is something too, isn't it? See, this is far too complex. Humans have labelled EVERYTHING, effectively ruining "the nothing" by already labelling it.

Was that confusing? I think I'm confused myself :D

My two-pence...

lool, thanks for trying ladies.

Athena darling don't worry, *pats her on the back* it's okay! :D . I don't know any different either...lol..

Flying still, thank you sis, I loved your signature aswell...yours is funny AND true at the same time smile.gif .LOL @ Monica, the woman seriously suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder and needs to get help..lol..

harmonyangel all this talk of nothingness is doing me head in..lol..

Humans have labelled EVERYTHING, effectively ruining "the nothing" by already labelling it.

Well we have to label things in order to make life easier for our selves. Surely humans can't just call objects just "things". We have to able to identify it. For example I am now on a computer, typing this reply. How can I possibly carry this task out if I don't know what everything is called. (does that make sense?...hmm)

I know what you are saying about 'labelling', because that can be negative as in being racially abusive towards someone from another nationality. But unfortunatly that is the direction the wind has to blow :(

LADYHOVA   

:confused: hmmmm i confused my self tryin to think about nothing..? i don kno but good one, makin us somali's think too hard lol

holla dollaz$

flying-still:
^^^^ That actually made sense

Thank you, sis, at least you got it!!

Nefertiti, I apologise, that was not my intention!! I think it did my head in and all :D

I agree with what you said, sis, and yet, all this labelling has lost us something, isn't it? But let me add another angle to this. You only know it is a computer you're tapping because you've been told. Same with the 'message' and the 'keys' you're tapping. What if someone told you that the chair you're sitting on is, in fact, called ' a lamp'. You wouldn't believe it, right?

But I have gone completely off the subject (I do this all the time ;) ) so I will resign (at least for tonight) :D

Changed   

okay i was thinking to think about nothing but then i was thinking about harmoney angels point so that made kinda imposible ...bottom line i thought of something and that something was nothing.....harmoney good point smile.gif ....it kinda messed up my imagination line now icon_razz.gif

Me and my friend were just talking about that the other day...about what harmony said about thinking about nothing..

But I think it's possible to think about nothing...try meditation!