Che -Guevara

Rep. Ilhan Omar, a member of the progressive "Squad" in Congress, has defeated a well-funded challenger

Tallaabo   

Someone should have reminded the zionist - fascist alliance the age old Somali saying "intii madax madow iyo MJ ayaa is leeg" before they wasted all those millions of dollars. Congratulations to sister Ilhaan. 

Ilhaan survived against another challenger in another primary. It wouldn't have been close, but many Soomaalis have not voted for her for their misguided, ignorant ways.

To maryooleeyda Minneapolis degan, xildhibaan Ilhaan being a visible member of U.S. Congress itself is so much better than anything else for our future generation. Don't be narrowminded. Always vote for her.

Omar survives surprising nail-biter to win Democratic nomination for Minnesota's 5th Congressional District, CNN projects

Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar survived a primary challenge Tuesday, CNN projected -- but barely, and the narrow result could encourage critics of the progressive "squad" member to try again in two years.

Omar, who is running for a third term in Minnesota's 5th Congressional District, held off a primary challenge from former Minneapolis City Councilman Don Samuels and three other Democratic primary candidates, CNN projects.

Omar beat back a well-funded primary rival in 2020, but Samuels, a moderate, entered the race with higher name recognition in the Minneapolis-based district and the support of a big-spending super PAC.

Samuels had run as a pro-police critic of Omar's calls to "defund the police." He and his wife successfully sued the city of Minneapolis to force it to increase police staffing levels to the 741 officers required by the city's charter.

Momentum built behind what had been widely seen as a long-shot challenge after Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey endorsed Samuels last week. He was also backed by building trades unions, several suburban mayors and more moderate DFL leaders.

His close call could inspire another effort to oust Omar in 2024. Democrats currently control four out of the state's eight US House seats to three for the Republicans and one vacancy.

Omar's victory comes the week after two other liberal members of the "squad," Missouri Rep. Cori Bush and Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib, also beat back primary challenges.

Votes were being counted in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Vermont and Connecticut on Tuesday night following a round of primaries that will further clarify several of November's key contests.

CNN

galbeedi   

3 hours ago, Holac said:

She is becoming a shrewd politician. 

Every time he opens his mouth he is probably embarrassing  her. So, She is banishing him to the killings fields of Mogadishu. I would have dome the same thing.

A senior adviser? for what?

If I were him I would stick around twin cities. Because he could be targeted by Al-shbaab and become one of those statistics in Mogadishu.

5 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Every time he opens his mouth he is probably embarrassing  her. So, She is banishing him to the killings fields of Mogadishu. I would have dome the same thing.

A senior adviser? for what?

If I were him I would stick around twin cities. Because he could be targeted by Al-shbaab and become one of those statistics in Mogadishu.

And what is qualification,  other than he fathered kids with Elham?

Mar kale ayee guuleysatay with 75% of the votes.

Omar easily clinches another term representing Minneapolis-area district

Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar is projected to skate to victory on Tuesday in Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District, easily deflecting a challenge from Republican Cicely Davis in a contest focused heavily on crime and law enforcement.

Omar has emerged as a leading figure in the liberal push to overhaul local police departments — including, in some cases, cutting their budgets — following the 2020 murder of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man, by a Minneapolis police officer in her district. And her support last year for a failed local ballot initiative to overhaul the city’s police department and shift the focus to public health programs became a flashpoint in this year’s contest.

Davis, a conservative activist who has worked to motivate Black Americans to leave the Democratic Party, sought to brand Omar as a “radical” liberal out of touch with the safety concerns of Minneapolis voters. In a cycle when voters are anxious about crime, that message has resonated in districts across the country.

It wasn’t enough, however, in Minnesota’s 5th, a heavily Democratic district centered in Minneapolis where Omar won by almost 40 points — and President Biden by 63 points — two years ago. 

Omar’s tougher challenge this cycle came in the Democratic primary, where she faced off against Don Samuels, a Minneapolis city councilman who had also criticized Omar’s efforts to overhaul the city’s police department. In that contest, Omar squeaked out a victory by fewer than 3,000 votes, out of 114,000 cast.  

Omar’s victory secures a third term for a lawmaker who made history in 2018, when she became one of the first two Muslim women ever elected to Congress. 

• Like 1

Illyria   

Actually there were 11 of them who won in MN, OH, and ME. Here are some of them. Well done to them all. I would have more preferred had they been scientists and engineers, but that too will come in time Insha'Allah.

And I might add, as Americans, we are very proud of them all.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1