Sign in to follow this  
Qoryooley_Tuug

Minneapolis chosen as....

Minnesota at it's Finest..

America's 'Funnest' Cities

It's cold. It's far from any of the country’s so-called media or entertainment centers. Did we mention it's cold?

So why on earth is Minnesota home of the nation's "funnest" city?

The makers of the board game "Cranium" came up with the study, conducted with the help of Bert Sperling, creator of Money magazine's "Best Places to Live" rankings.

And the #1 "funnest" city, according to their rankings, is Minneapolis-St. Paul, known as the Twin Cities.

Sperling said the reasons the Twin Cities area is the most fun are myriad: four professional sports teams; the largest shopping mall in the country (Mall of America); over a dozen dog parks; more theaters than Boston; more golfers per capita than any other city; more parks than Denver; and, with over 10,000 lakes, more shoreline than California, Florida and Hawaii combined.

The rest of the top 10 are:

2. Orange County, Calif.

3. San Jose, Calif.

4. Atlanta

5. Chicago

6. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, N.C.

7. Washington, D.C.

8. Oakland, Calif.

9. Salt Lake City

10. Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, Wash.

Nary a New York (#41), Las Vegas (#25) or Miami (#46) is to be found in the top 10. Tampa Bay, Honolulu and Providence R.I., each a beautiful city with lots of attractions, didn't make the list at all.

Sperling and his crew used 32 different criteria to rank the cities, taking into account everything from sports to parks and the arts, and how much it costs for those recreations as well.

Salt Lake City, which one might not think of as a bastion of "fun," was proud to be #9 on the list.

"Salt Lake City offers beautiful camping areas, a wide variety of activities for the whole family and has residents that spent a large portion of money on fun things like musical instruments and bicycles," Sperling said in a press release.

Tracy Cayford, spokeswoman for the Utah Travel Council, told Utah's Desert News that the Hogle Zoo, the Great Salt Lake, Antelope Island, Temple Square, Lagoon, museums and the area's other recreation opportunities together give Salt Lake its high ranking.

Michael De Groote, spokesman for the Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce, mused that the perception of Salt Lake City is positive due to "the legacy of the Olympic Winter Games. ... It's a beautiful place here," he said.

Atlanta, a city without any public transportation system but with much to do and a host of new construction under way – not to mention a recent Olympic Summer Games - is also a surprise at #4.

Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, in North Carolina, is usually thought of as the "research triangle," home of college basketball, scientists, engineers and not much else. Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, N.C., came in at #29 in the rankings. Seems North Carolina is a great place to be these days.

California had the biggest collection of "fun" cities in the survey, with eight of the top 50. Even the oft-ridiculed New Jersey had two cities in the top 50 – Newark and Bergen-Passaic.

who said minneapolis ain't fun???...if anybody doesn't find this city to be fun then there's something wrong with u...me myself i'm liking it here...even our somali malls sales are competing with Mall of America sales... :D:D

on the other hand on the top 10 cities i been to about 6 of them...

Gabbal   

10. Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, Wash.

Atleast my city made the top ten. I heard it was also chosen as the Most Smartest City. Seattle is on a roll.

raula   

^^HornAfrique..I hear they got 50% of seattle's population is trained in CPR :cool:

Minneafabolous-no wonder I am attached to this place-crystally cool and clean :D :cool: UNMinnesotan's if you come hear summertime check out the SCENERY up NORTH(as in boundary waters in Duluth and surrounding-they actually have live JAZZ and BLUES,fun-in-the-sun activities from all over the U.S)

Senora   

wow my city made it :eek: :eek:

but im not surprised Chicago made it! :D

Wasn't Minneapolis also ranked as one of the cleaniest cities too?

Having Just enjoyed a Short Stay in Mn Minneapolis i must give it a thumb's up.

Its Public transport system isnt as developed as i would have liked (come from london) but otherwise it was certainly clean, spacious and had some interesting Locals ;):D

>>**%% THUMBS UP %%**<<

Tuujiye   

Iga tag mpls meel ma ahee..Abkee saqajaamiin oo aan ugaga soo tagay xeradii qaxootige ee (otaango) kenya aa wada joogaan.. Markaan kasoo tagaaye saan u farax sanaa lee. Hada markaan ku arkay mpls ani dhan waxaan dareemay in aan otaango joogo again..beynaka cuudu bilaah!!

wareer badanaa!!

Gabbal   

^^HornAfrique..I hear they got 50% of seattle's population is trained in CPR

That and much more. More percentage of professionals in Seattle then anywhere else in the United States.

Bess.   

horn dude...i agree with u....i live in seattle and its great....it is a very sophisticated urban jungle...not for everyone.... ;)

respect