Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

The Republican Party

Would they be reduced to regional party much like Massachusetts Republicans(white rural voters) if they lose the presidency and the Congress tonite.

Democrats would need 60 seats in the Senate, they are already the majority in the house and will likely pick up 10-15 more seats, and obviously need to win convincingly (mandate) to render the reps useless. These are not insurmountable numbers as dems are within range. A win by Obama would also mean he gets to appoint new liberal justices that will keep the supreme court ideologically balanced.

So, how do you see the future of the republican party and who would lead to the better days?

[ November 04, 2008, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Libaax-Sankataabte ]

The future of republican party depends on how Obama governs next 4 years. If he does well and brings back some normalcy to the economy and makes some change to the US foreign policy, then republicans will be in trouble come next election.

NGONGE   

^^ Tosh. It's only a blip, saaxib. America will always lean towards a conservative party. Wait and see how the Democrats waste the chance they just got (inspite of Obama not because of him). The Republican WILL be back sooner than you think (just think of the Carter days, saaxib).

^It is not matter of them coming back or not. It is matter of changing their ideological stances and making structural changes. They can no longer sustain themselves by relying heavily on white evangelical base as this country's demographics is changing, and more of northern transplants and immigrants are moving to States that were usually reliably republican. They would have to stop pandering to minorities and actually start promoting, cultivating and helping minority candidates in getting elected to local, state and federal legislatures, no more token position like of that Rice and Colin Powell though the historical significance and the precedence of their appointments.

In short, the Reps must just not be white rich boys club.

Senora   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ Tosh. It's only a blip, saaxib. America will always lean towards a conservative party. Wait and see how the Democrats waste the chance they just got (inspite of Obama not because of him). The Republican WILL be back sooner than you think (just think of the Carter days, saaxib).

The Republicans got back in the 1980's BECAUSE of Carter...

If Obama can mend the economy, take some steps towards universal healthcare, begin the reformation of our education system, while reaching across the aisle and allowing a few of their issues to be placed on the table (Drill baby Drill!), then the best the Republicans can hope for is a few seats here and there..

It's wishful thinking, but Im HOPING they dont drop the ball

Let us make one thing clear, Carter was a bad president and that had nothing to do with democrats. He actually lost his own party's support. Besides, democrats lost the president in 1980 not the congress.

Pujah   

Actually republicans were the permanent minority when it comes to congress until 1994 after Bill and Hillary's health care debacle. And for now it looks like they are back to their old place unless Obama screws up bad enough in his first two years.

NGONGE   

Yet when the Democrats had a majority they always messed it up. In fact, Carter was a nice guy and most of his ideas fit nicely with what Obama is trying to sell today. That he 'failed' was totally down to his Democrat party. When Reegan won it, he took every state but one!

I really doubt that any of you are as liberal as the Democratic party you 'support'. I actually suspect that most of you would identify with the Republicans much more than the Democrats. But, why rush events? Time will tell.

Just let it be known that I still believe the Republicans will return once the Obama excitement fades away.

Gheelle.T Carter was not bad, he was just wrong man for the presidency. Two things made impossible for his administration to get anything done, the first thing the man and his Georgian boys who lacked the experience and temperament micro-managed everything from proposed bills, to amendments, and to how departments were run. One needs to delegate and be flexible enough to get anything passed. His second flaw was his complete contempt for the D.C establishment which any president needs in order to move any agenda.He naively thought he could clean up the place like he did in Georgia and at the same, have his policies passed. You don't badmouth the very people you need.

He did had few successes and sadly all those came about as result of procedural changes within agencies the most notably the HHS then headed by Joseph Califano.

I had an opportunity to meet Kip O'Neill and people that worked for his father Tip O'Neill among them a teacher of mine, they all agreed he wasn't bad executive in many ways, it was just his moral posturing and his reluctance to work with D.C that did him in.

Obama won't suffer either of these situations but he does need well oiled machine.

Loooooooooo@ NGONGE..Let it go,

NGONGE   

^^ Just being a realist, saaxib. I admire Obama and what he has done but I have no faith in a Democrat congress. They WILL mess it up you know. And if they don't, woe betide you and all 'conservative' Muslims. icon_razz.gif

^I don't think they could do any worse than the republicans. Obviously, alot is riding on how they manage the country in the first couple of years. Obama was wise enough to say it wasn't gonna be a cakewalk. That said, they promised too many things and they better deliver by making a major changes. The trick is would those changes pay any dividends before the next round of congressional elections come around. My gut feeling is probably not, but they could fare better if they chose their policies/programs cleverly. I think it would be bad idea if they try mend the healthcare systems (though Kennedy is pushing hard for that). They could take on rebuilding the decaying infrastructure, and start on the energy dilemma. These would be programs that would create jobs and revitalize the economy, and therefore create enough cushion for the dems.

As for Obama, I don't think he is miracle worker. I just appreciate his success for its historical significance and I believe he along with the dems would do a better job on issues of butter and bread but other than he was just another candidate meaning he is beholden to his backers.And I hope and I say this loosely that the policies on the horn would change.

And in regards to the republicans, I want them to be reconstituted, obviously not right way but in time. But my hope is they expand their base, change the old guard, and reflect/embrace America's diversity.

Ngonge, Democrats controlled the US congress for quite a long time and only lost it in 1994. And in 2006 Democrats retake the majority again, and mess started when the republicans were in control.

As for the Democratic party being a liberal, I guess that is just a wrong perception. There are liberal democrats yes, but there are also centralist, and southern conservative Democrats who are pro gun, pro life, and religious yet share same idea on inclusiveness.

The Republican party used run on platform of free economic, small government, and states own their own affairs. That party has been hijack by group of neocons and religious zealots who see the world as black and white. I would take liberal Pellosi any day over Carl Rove and Sarah Palin.