Sign in to follow this  
Abdulladiif Al-Fiqih

Prayers VS. Workplace

My question is, Do you have a designated area for this purpose? if not, where do you pray? What are your experiences-praying at work? Have you ever talked to your managers to accomodate for your daily prayers or Friday prayer? if yes, what were there reactions? + or -?

For me, out of 300 ppl at my work, I'm the only Muslim and I have been praying at my Cubicle and Alhamdullilah, no bad experiences so far but I feel uncomfortable praying at times while people are passing-by but I usually remind myself that there is nothing to be ashamed off. I know this might be a sign of weakened Imaan on my part but Insha Allah I will work on this.

A_Ladiif,

I can relate to the circumstances that you’ve described. Yes, we have a designated area for prayer; they called it meditation room, though Muslims are the only ones who use it regularly. We use it for Friday prayer as well. We’re about 30 Muslims, mainly Arab, Asian, and Somali origin. I some times use my cubicle to pray. But that rarely happens, as I don’t have to (thanks Allah).

My advice: always ask your managers for accommodation because it really works.

A_Ladiif

I work in a private pathology Laboratory as my part time job and we have no designated area for Salaad unfortunatetly. The sad thing is that I am not the only Muslim there. When I first got the job I spoke to my manager asked for a salaad room while at the same time explaining to her what i meant by salaad. She kindly offered me a room and gave me my own key. I was so thrilled but i also required a wadhu area , as much as i hate to admit i was too scared to ask her for a wadhu area let alone explain to her what a wadhu meant. So i decided to keep it to myself. One the first day of my job i found a shower room where I now make my wadhuu. Alhamdulilaah I am greatful I have my own room where I pray. She even offered for me to take 5 minutes off work to pray.. May Allah guide my manager she is a lovely person.

What really upsets me till today is the fact there were 5 muslims who worked at the lab before i was employed not even one of them asked for a salaad room. Whats even more depressing is that out of the five 3 have worked at the lab for more than 6 years and my manager never heard of people praying. And she thinks I am the only muslim at the lab I guess thats because I am the only one wearing a headscarf.

Caveman   

True, True say, lay down your head for the sake of the creator regardless of the creatures.

Aamin to that!!

Since I don't work for the "Man" any more it hasn't been an issue for me, Allhamdu-lillah I am running my own BIZ, but I completely understand how the 'work productivity system' could suck people into forgetting their creator.

Mafia   

Maashaa-Allah! It's such a great think to see so many brothers/sisters committed to their faith and taking their prayers seriously.

Not being able to attend Friday prayers b/c of work or not having designated area for Sallah was, by far, the most depressing issue I've ever faced in the Qurbaha. But, Alxamdulilaah, that is over now, as I have my own office. I don't know about other countries, but in the States where I worked for a number of different companies, "salaad" isn't a very strange thing to them. Despite that they might see it weird when they see you praying. But if you prove yourself as work-material(competent), they will get over with it. Infact, in my experience, if they see you committed and dedicated to your faith (not compromising it, or not letting one prayer slipp from you), they will REALLY do respect you for that.

Kruella   

Well, salat and work don't go hand in hand with the western workplace. Most employers won't go out of their way to accomodate your religious duties. That's why from the first day you have to make a stand and let them know that it's not an option for you to miss a prayer. Regardless, if there is a prayer room or not. You can use the stairs, sick rooms, empty offices, cubicles, any space available provided you won't impend office traffic. Be steadfast on this and your employers won't dare question you on it.

Salamz

FARIID   

Al xamdulilah, i always quitely slip-off when prayer time comes and my boss hasn't yet noticed this. Few of my collegues ask where i've been and am ashamed of myself of hiding the prayer and always making excuses. What am scared of is( maybe scared is too strong) my boss is a yahuudi , i don't how his going to take. I am a bit suspicious that he knows that i've been quitely taking 5 minutes breakes and when he put up a notice saying ' Anyone who takes a break to smoke will be deciplined ' it got me thinking this yahuudi is clever. I think he means prayer and his just hiding behind a smoke screan. well maybe am being paranoid.

Iffah   

Masha allah, you guys are an inspirition to many people. Keep it up.

As for me, it probably wouldn't make a difference if I pushed my Manager to allow me few mins out of the shift to pray, because in the end, it comes down to my colleagues. I can't leave the floor unless someone is covering for me...so we have to coordinate care. I'll ask whoever is working next to me to cover me few mins. And it works out well because, I don't mind having her back when she goes down for her little smoking sessions ..or 'respiratory therapy' as they like to call it. Does that count as a euphemism? :D

Alhumdullilahi, We have a big room that we can pray, sometimes this sheekh goes overboard and does the addin too but it is all good we like it that way..

I have a question for you guys, If you are in charge for making schedules for employees and you give all your guys friday off or at least tell them go ahead and pray your salat Jima and schedule them after prayer, at the same time some one else with a different religion comes to you and asks you can he have sundays off so he can go to church? Will you deny him or will you feel guilty about it if you give him the sundays off?

Thanks for your responses, it sure does inspire and encourage seeing that my fellow Nomads are so committed and hold their faith close to their heart regardless of where they might be. Maasha Allah.

Kruella, you wrote:

“salat and work don't go hand in hand with the western workplaceâ€

I disagree with your statement walaal. See, there are many Muslims/Somalis who think that way but the fact of the matter is, as long as you are in the western countries legally, you have every right to live your life as you wish so long you don’t subject anyone any harm and don’t violate their laws. We are here to stay and we’ll remain Muslims by the grace of Allah and the sooner we made ourselves believe these are indeed are our homes the better. Do not buy the Somali phrase which says “ Waala noqonayaa dibaa loonoqonayaaâ€. Whether we like it or not, these (western countries) are our homes. We have to believe that we can change the western world for the better, mental attitude na’mean and it will happen Insha Allah.

Kruella   

A_Ladiif I don't understand your point. What does my above statement have to do with your view as western countries as our homes? I stated that religion has no place in western countries because of the separation between church and state. Muslims don't have it easy when they decide to take 10 minutes break to do their prayers at work. But as most people here have expressed, it is possible to do your prayers at work by bending the rules. Not only because their employers are nice, but also because they're committed to their religious duties. By the way it is not a Right according to companies policies it's a Privilege because you're using company's time. In short, My statement was: " Hey even if you're at risk of getting fired, don't compromise your prayers". Look at the above article posted by Bishaaro. Which by the way, illustrates most workplace policies on religious practice.

P.S Western countries are not our homes rather a temporary refuge.

Salamz

i'm glad this topic was brought up...being the only Muslim at my workplace..its kinda hard getting in the prayers especially when you have no time to be off the phones except break..And breaks don't always fall at pray time.. My solution...Pray at when the salaat is there..cuz i thought of this way...i get bathroom breaks...so i use'em for my prayers...kinda hard..but hey..itz worth it...

I remember one day i was praying in a lil quite corner on the side, i wasn't aware that there was a door there. So i started my prayer...but in the middle, this janitor or service worker or whateva ..OPENS the door and hits me right on the side!!!!...now i'm tiny..i practically slid over 5 steps the other way by the force of the door... it hurt..but i kept praying...he apologized and walked away...lol..he must've thought i was some kinda pycho..lol...but whateva..

x_quizit   

For most ppl, it shouldnt really be a problem praying at work...from the beginning, tell ur supervisor that ud need time to pray and perhaps ask them if theres a room available u can use...if they wont help u, take the initiave to find a quiet spot to perform ur daily requirements...no good excuses not to...'cause on judgement day, u dont wanna be in front of God and say..."see, what had happened was...."...

Fortunately, I have a good place to pray at work and it doesnt interfere with my job...a quiet room with an occupied sign so that no janitor bursts in and disrupt the prayer...im one of two muslim girls that i know of, and she doesnt pray but after she noticed me taking time off, she asked if she could pray with me....at first she feared she would be discriminated against but after seeing me, it gave her the courage to join me... we have some muslim guys that go to friday prayers during their lunch hr and management agreed to give them that time off....so its pretty good deal for them..

p.s.-most of us let prayers revolve around our lives rather than makin prayers the center of our lives and everything else revolving around it

Peace