Saalax

Somaliland region government protects Forex scammer who stole $20m from Mogadishu

They should ask his clan to hand him over or the cash. That is how things work. Otherwise tomorrow his cousins would be taken in his place for ransom.

1 hour ago, Timacaddeh said:

This is now a public, well-known story that has the attention of the Somaliland government. Do you think they'll let foreigners come into their country and simply snatch someone up?

I know that you disagree with this, but to the Government of Somaliland, this is now a dispute that spans two nations. For someone to simply "take his cousins", that would be seen as going against the authority of Somaliland, and could be considered kidnapping by Somaliland.

This is not a simple traditional Somali dispute, therefore the typical xeer rules aren't easily enforced.

Plus, if he has indeed taken millions wouldn't the guy have hired some serious security to guard him?

It would be nowhere near as easy as you think.

Save us with the bravado 😂 Will ya? This guy is from Baran, and his family or close clan members would have business interests or other ventures in the South Central Somalia. I am sure his close family or clansmen in Mogadishu or elsewhere are shitting in their pants. In that sort of predicament they would be pressuring their elders to intervene and solve the problem one way or another.

Can I ask you, do you think this man should face justice and answer some questions as he wronged civilians and nothing to do with politics?

What bravado? What is the very title of this topic? Somaliland government protects Forex scammer. I was only referring to the fact that this is not a normal dispute between citizens, and that there are two nations involved. Like it or not, but Somaliland has a functioning government with a capable police force and Army. Those are facts, ask Al Shabaab if you don't believe me.

Also, I could be wrong here, but my understanding is that although this guy is from the clan that inhabits Eastern Sanaag, his mother is from Burco, and that he currently lives and was raised in Burco. Not claiming this to be fact, only that this is what the few news reports i've seen have reported. Admittedly they are all Somaliland based media, so I appreciate those reports could be biased. Although it would be a weird bit to make up.

You are speculating about where his family/clan members might be, I am not going to do any such baseless thing. Furthermore, If you people are the kind to punish random members of a clan for the crimes of someone they barely know, it says a lot about what you people consider justice.. His close family I could understand, anything else would just show you people to be senseless maniacs.

To your question about whether this guy should face justice - unlike you I am not scared to state what I believe, and will do so with conviction without hiding behind empty sentiments. Under any "normal" circumstance, I would absolutely be in favour of extraditing him to wherever he commited his crime. However, any sensible person would agree that Somalia is nothing close to a normal circumstance. It is a lawless cesspit where there is no sense of justice. Murderers, rapists and the worst of the worst walk the land freely whilst Al Shabaab is commiting barbaric acts against innocent people in the name of "Shariah" law and your "Government" is killing its opponents without trial. I've put Shariah in quotes here only to denote that there is nothing Shariah about anything these Munafiqeen (Al Shabaab) do.

So, no, I would not hand this guy or any other Somalilander over to a place where no justice exists. There is no saying what will be done to him.

Who is more maniac, the person sheltering an alleged criminal who robbed innocent civilians or victims who want to pressure his elders to act by restricting one or two of his clan members?. You seem personalising this discussion. I am not advocating for these but it is something that happens and did happen. I remember sometime ago, it happened between some Puntland and Somaliland traders and elders resolved the issue. Also, Somaliland hands over criminals to Puntland and vice versa. Why can't they do the same for Mogadishu?

Lol@ your rant at mother Somalia. You seem very angry. I notice these days of all times when things are improving than they were few years ago, you are hell bent on talking down mother Somalia at every opportunity. What gives 🤪?

19 hours ago, Mastermind said:

They should ask his clan to hand him over or the cash. That is how things work. Otherwise tomorrow his cousins would be taken in his place for ransom.

There is a xildhibaan ka soo jeedo tolkiisa oo ahaa qofka damiintay. That xildhibaan and others damiintay waa inay jawaab keenaan.

Somalia is a place where every. MAFIA AND ILLEGAL thing operates because of non-existence of laws and no government to protect the civilians 

What is more alarming is the idiots who believe this sh1t,  this guy was a small player, there others who took 100s of millions, how? Because every Somali wants quick money and get rich quickly 

if it's too good to be true, it probably is!!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Timacaddeh said:

Are you really asking why Somaliland would hand over criminals to Puntland and not Muqdisho? There is no difference between Puntland and Muqdisho in your view?

In terms of what you call my "rant" at Somalia. All I stated is pure facts, if you want to dispute do so. Don't come at me with an emotional diatribe.

Here is what I said, and I'll back up each claim if you wish to dispute:

• A lawless cesspit - check
  • No sense of justice - check
  • Murders, rapists and the worst of the worst walk the streets - check
  • Al Shabaab commits barbaric acts against innocent people in the name of "Shariah" law - check

I'm willing to provide evidence of each of the above, if you need. Somalia is a hellhole, pretending it isn't is wishful thinking, and saying it isn't is just utter delusion.

You saying anyone else is personalising a matter is the clearest case of projection I have ever seen. I am someone that argues the facts, whereas you and your cohorts here often spout nonsense you can't back up when called upon. Instead you folks result to personal/qabiilist insults to pivot the conversation onto something else. I admit I have been guilty of retaliating in an equal fashion, but only in retaliation. I will also admit that you are one of the lesser offenders, in so far as at least you provide often argue the matter at hand and back up some of your claims, whereas the rest of the people on your side seem allergic to backing up their claims or sticking to the point.

Things are improving in Mogadishu. There are courts, police and prisons. There are insecurity no doubt in some parts of the South, but that does not mean they can not convict a criminal. There are thousands in the prisons after going through the court system and this man would not be different. There are challenges in all Somalia's regions including Puntland and Somaliland. Look at Somaliland there is peace but the justice system is murky. People are rounded up and imprisoned without due process or good reason. Parts of Somaliland clan system reign supreme and killers go free after clans agree on truce or some sort of blood money. 

I would also like you to provide all the evidence that you said you have for what you stated. You keep repeating Somalia is a hell hole and painting a bad picture of the country. If so why there are thousands of northerners that go there for business and for work? You certainly run from hell you don't run to it? Do you?

About me my cohorts. I did not know I have cohorts here, and on the record I am not part of any gang. I am my own man. But I can see for both groups temperament and emotions are high and people need to calm down. It is not like what we write here is going to change anything on the ground. Let us start with a truce. From now on let's all refrain from name calling and offensive qabiil names 

1. Just a couple of weeks ago, an MP of yours was kidnapped, tortured and killed just outside Muqdisho. Has anyone been brought to justice for that? Let's be honest, no-one ever will, because there is no justice system, just kangaroo courts. There are countless more recent examples of senseless violence that I can point to. But this is a member of your parliament who likely has some security, and still that happened. Nothing has changed.

2. Somaliland's justice system is far from perfect, but there is no systemic rounding up and imprisoning of people for no reason or without due process. There are instances where individual police wrongfully arrest someone, as was the case with the young poet recently. However, as you saw in that case he was released as soon as it was evident that he had committed no crime. Also, there are laws that I disagree with that allow for people to be arrested and jailed such as that used against singers and journalists. However, that is currently the law in Somaliland so clearly not a case of what you are referring to. The law in Somaliland allows for traditional clan style reconciliation between the involved parties as a first port of call. What you referred to is part of Islamic Shariah, and is a good thing.

3. Somalia is a metaphorical hellhole. You have recently asked me why I keep posting the numerous stories of the things happening in Somalia. People are fooling themselves with pictures of a painted wall here, a refurbished football stadium there and cleaned up theater there. I am trying to show you people that the reality on the ground is grim. The sooner you people focus on that and how to fix that, the sooner your country can really start to improve for the better. I am not going to litter this thread with thousands of documents. Pick one of the points you are disputing and I'll provide the evidence.

4. By cohorts, I mean the people who have the same political views as yourself. Agreed on the truce. However, as I said in another thread to me the word Faqash is not an qabiilist term. When I use it, I'm referring to a soldier/supporter of Afweyne and I will always call those people by that term.

1. First of all, he is not federal MP. He was Hirshabelle state MP. And Just because an MP was ambushed by Alshabab while in public transport, you are saying there is no justice? Police commander was killed in Somaliland and his killers was never found or brought to justice, does that mean the justice system does not work in Somaliland? That is absurd logic.

2. The news of people wrongly jailed in Somaliland is frequent and seem recurring. Coldoon is one of them. If I read your constitution  I am sure I will not find any article that would support rounding up people for their freedom of speech.  So your excuse of " the law says so" is red hearing.

Wherever you see clan elders solving problems, it shows the weakness of the government justice apparatus. It empowers clan system and sub clan wars that is more frequent in Somaliland. The clan has technicals and weapons that only state should have and again it shows the weakness of Somaliland government. You need to look deep into your enclave problems while you over-amplifying Southern problems. 

3. You seem overusing this word "hellhole". My question still stands unanswered, if it is so why the northerners are moving there for business and work, surely you run from hellhole, you don't run to it?

4.  The thing is you can use this word all you want but it is offensive to many people. It is like white man saying the word "Nigger" is not offensive as it means black, or the word "paki" is not offensive because it just means "Pakistani". In somali context the words "Mmoorayaan " Burcad badeed" have real meaning but when used to offend they can have clan undertones.
As long as a word is offensive to certain community, it is not civil to use it. Hence, as long as you adamant that you will use it, the negativity and name calling will continue as others will retaliate.

I'll address the rest of your post later, but the above bolded is absolute lies. Several men were arrested and and are imprisoned to this day are in jail, with a close family friend's son amongst them. One guy was released early, as he is partially paralyzed following a stroke. As it it could not be identified who exactly killed him, it wasn't possible to convict anyone of murder. However, they are to this day imprisoned for the parts they played.

Get your facts right saaxib - it's hard to to take you seriously when you get it so badly wrong. 

I admit it been long time ago and perpetrators may have been  found and imprisoned since. I stand corrected if that is the case. 

But the point is killing happens everywhere, killers are sometimes found immediately and sometimes take years or never. That does not mean though the justice system does not work.  

1. You have an incredible ability to miss the point. The example is just that, an example. I even explicitly said that there are countless murders, rapes and other heinous crimes that go unpunished on an almost daily basis. The example I was using was just to highlight how from the moment that man was killed everyone knows there is no chance his killers would be brought to justice. Tell me, have the killers of Hodan Nalayeh, Saado Cali and countless other politicians/well know Somalis, been brought to justice? Again I'm using famous names here only because those are the ones whose names we actually know. The thousands of normal people being killed on regular basis have no chance if these high profile cases can't be solved.

2. The Coldoon case I'm not actually well read up on, so I don't know the particulars of that case. In the case of the Singers on the other hand, there is absolutely a law on the book in Somaliland that relates to citizens who breach Somaliland sovereignty. This law has been used ever since the days of Riyaale to arrest people who breach the sovereignty of Somaliland, particularly on foreign soil. I hate the law and think it should be scrapped. I'd go so far as to say it violates a person's human rights. However, it doesn't change that it is currently lawful in Somaliland. I view this as a black mark against Somaliland.

3. Young Somalis from both Somalia and Somaliland are going to another hellhole in Libya, where unmentional abuse is awaiting them. Most of them knowing that this is likely awaiting them before they leave, yet they do. Why do they do it? They are desperate. Same as those that go to Somalia. As much of a hellhole Somalia is right now, the International Community is pouring lots of money into it, so there are jobs and opportunities in some places. If that money was being poured into Somaliland, not a single Somalilander would go south.

4. In each instance you refer to (Nigger, Paki etc), the original intention/meaning of the word was to insult and cause offence. In the word of Faqash, the opposite is the case. The very origin of the word was a derogatory term used for Afweyne's soldiers. People later started to use it as an insult against Afweyne's overall tribe. You will never see me use it in any other context than when talking about Afweyne's soldiers or against people are supporters of Afweyne. I couldn't care less if those people are offended by the term.

1. So now you are saying if someone is killed in the South, there is no chance of bringing them to justice?  There are plenty of Al shabab killers that  have been brought to justice including the killers of Saado Ali. More recently, a man massacred his wife and other family members, just last week  he was captured in Galmudug. As said some will be captured and others will escape, but the point is that does not make a justice system flawed as you first asserted when I ask you why you can not handover the man about this topic to Mogadishu.

2. I love when you shield yourself " I am not well verses" clause. Coldoon is not alone, there are many others in his position that Somaliland imprisons with no due process and there is live  topic currently on this forum by Salah. Have look and let see what you think.

3. Don't get defensive mate. When they go to Mogadishu that is their final destination but Libya is not their final destination. They don't go to Libya for work or do business, they go there to take a boat to Europe. So if they are going to hellhole to escape poverty, the place they left behind must be shit -er  hellhole, don't you agree?

4. Again, use whatever you wish but you are not cleaner than others you were complaining about.  

1. That is pretty much what I'm saying. The chances of getting justice in Somalia is next to nil. I stand corrected on the Saado Ali case, I hadn't kept up to date on if anybody had been prosecuted for her killing. However, that appears to be an anomaly. The vast majority of cases no one is brought to justice, because there is no real justice system to speak of. If there was a justice system, there would be no indiscriminate killings, bombings, rapes etc on a daily basis. A crime here or there happens anywhere, the volume of unpunished crime in Somalia is found in almost no other place on earth. That is why I justifiably call it a hellhole.

2. How am I shielding myself when in the very next sentence I admit the failings of Somaliland. I don't know much about why Coldoon was arrested. It's hard to actually find credible sources that state the reason. If you have one, post it and I'll stand corrected as I have done above. 

I am very familiar with the ridiculous postings of Saalax and his sabawanaag twitter "source". It is a collection of the worst, unsubstantiated trash found on this site. Click on any of the supposed "reports" he posts and you'll find it is just somebody on twitter or facebook spouting nonsense with no sources or any supporting evidence. It is utter toilet water.

3. How am I getting defensive? You asked a question and I answered. Stop behaving like a woman and debate the facts instead. As always you are missing the point. The kids going to Libya are knowingly risking sexual, physical and mental abuse just to have an opportunity to get to Europe. They also know many of them will drown if they even get past Libya. The point is they are doing this because they are desperate. Same reason why they go to Somalia - they know the hellhole awaiting them, but because there are some jobs there they are willing to risk being killed, raped etc. Fisherman in Alaska risk being killed on a daily basis in the dangerous Bearing sea, because they know the riches awaiting them if they find good numbers of valuable crab. The fisherman are not poor but to them the risk:reward ratio is worth it. I have never denied that Somaliland is a poor country. Unlike you I don't defend the indefensible. However, the reason it is not a hellhole and Somalia is, is because in Somaliland they don't have to fear being blown up, shot, raped etc on a daily basis. That is a reality people in most of Somalia, especially anything south of Galmudug.

4. I am cleaner. I call supporters of a genocide a term invented just for them. You and the others on the other hand use qabiilists taunts whenever an argument gets heated. The fact that you struggle to see the difference between the two says a lot about you and your intentions.

kkk you getting angry because you can not win an argument so you start  insulting women now. Walee naagaha kaa fiican bahalkaan cuqdadu dishay :)

The summary of our discussion is Somalia is hellhole but your place is shit-ter hellhole, agreed? :) :) 

I like to think of myself as a progressive Somali man, but it is no secret that women are known to argue everything and anything, except for the actual subject at hand 😁

The summary of our discussion is this: Somalia is a hellhole and we will never send any citizen of Somaliland to endure Somalia.

Women or no women, I don't think there is any humanbeing kaa muran badan inay hooyo dhshay.

And  no, They don't need you sending them they go there on their own will to escape the shit-ter hellhole part of their mother Somalia to just a hellhole part :) :)