Sign in to follow this  
Lidia

Heavy metal music

Baluug   

As far as I know,music is not xaraam but is discouraged as it is a distraction from the diin.Just to be on the safe side,I would advise you to not listen to any music during Ramadan,at least until after afur.It sounds a little funny,at the same time as you're fasting for Allah,you're listening to some hairy Brazilians screaming "ROOOOOOOOOTS!!!BLOODY ROOOOOOOTS!!!!!"But at least there's nothing about Satan in Sepultura's music.

I think there are couple of rules to the extend in which music is allowed in Islam. For example, the way the music was produced is crucial, if its digitally produced is not permissible. I even remember someone once telling me that those who listen to music will get hot lava poured into their ears ------ I have yet to investigate such claims by asking a scholar.

I would agree with you that music during the holy month is not a good idea, even after afur. I would recommend people put audiobooks, Islamic lectures and the Quran on their iPods.

Foxy   

Listen to whatever tickles your fancy dear rock/folk be it country music......and what ever the occassion calls for.......its a matter of personal choice, so knock yourself hard with your Heavy Rock.....rock on

:Dsmile.gif ......personally I am sucker for Deep Funky House Music.......

cheers

Shirwac   

There is no Heavy metal music any more. That was in the 80s. Now there is hip-hop rock-- groups like Rage AMachine, Linking P. Death Metal-- Heavy bass, drums and screeming some sick stuff that only sick people listen to. You can't understand what they are saying so I guess listening to them makes it Halal. Finally there is Hardcore which only youngesters (19-20) listen to.

If you are into dark music check out classics like the Doors, Nirvana....and Tool.That stuff will calm your $#@ down.

Here maybe this information will be useful, since it is Ramadan afterall..

1. The Madhhab of Imaam Aboo Haneefah: From Abut-Tayyib at-Tabaree who said, "Aboo Haneefah used to hate music and he used to place the one who listened to music along with the sinners." And he said, "Likewise, this was the madhhab of the rest of the people of al-Koofah.

From Abee Haneefah - rahimahullaah - who said, "Music is unlawful (haraam) according to all the religions."

And Ibnul-Qayyim (d. 751H) - rahimahullaah - said in Ighaathatul-Lahfaan (p. 348), "Indeed the companions of Abee Haneefah clarified that it is unlawful to listen to any musical instruments such as the wood-wind oboe, the hand drum, or striking bars. And they clarified that it is disobedience obligating fisq (disobedient sinning) and they would reject him as a witness. The most profound evidence of that is their statement that listening to music is fisq (disobedient sinning) and taking pleasure in it is disbelief. These are their words."

2. The Madhhab of Imaam Maalik Ibn Anas: From Ishaaq Ibn Eesaa at-Tabbaa who said, "I asked Maalik Ibn Anas about what the people of al-Madeenah thought of music. So he said, 'Indeed, those who do that are considered fussaaq (disobedient sinners) according to us!!!'"

Sheikh Fozi al-Athari says, "This clarifies that permitting music is not from the madhhab of Imaam Maalik - rahimahullaah. And he strengthened the statement of the Scholars of al-Madeenah."

Said Abut-Tayyib at-Tabaree, "As for Maalik Ibn Anas, then he prohibited music and listening to it... and that is the madhhab of the rest of the people of al-Madeenah."

Said Ibnul-Qaasim, "I asked Maalik about singing, so he said, 'Allaah the Exalted said, "So what is there after the truth except falsehood?" 'So is this the truth?'"

From Ibraaheem Ibnul-Mundhir al-Madanee was asked, "Do you permit music?" So he said, "Refuge is sought with Allaah! No one does that except that he is a disobedient sinner according to us."

Said Abut-Tayyib at-Tabaree, "This is also the madhhab of the rest of the people of al-Madeenah."

3. The Madhhab of Imaam ash-Shaafi'ee: From ash-Shaafi'ee - rahimahullaah - who said, "I left something in al-Iraaq called at-taghbeer which was invented by the heretics (zanaadiqah) to lure people away from the Qur'aan."

Said Ibn Taymiyyah (d. 728H) - rahimahullaah - in al-Fatwaa (11/507), "And what ash-Shaafi'ee mentioned from it being an innovation of the heretics, then this is the speech of an Imaam of who is well acquainted with the foundations of al-Islaam. so no one delights in it, nor calls to it in essense, except one who is to be suspected of heresy."

Said Ibnul-Jawzee (d. 597H) - rahimahullaah - "Indeed, the heads of the companions of ash-shaafi'ee (radiyallaahu anhum) prohibited listening to music."

And Abut-Tayyib at-Tabaree - rahimahullaah - said, "Music is not permissible, nor is listening to it, nor is it permissible to strike bars. And whosoever attributes this to ash-Shaafi'ee, then he has lied upon him."

And Ibnul-Jawzee - rahimahullaah - said, "So this is the statement of the Scholars of the Shaafi'iyyah and the people of Religion from amongst them. It was only the late comers from amongst them who permitted it due to their lack of knowledge and due to them being overcome by their desires."

Said ash-Shaafi'ee (d. 241H) - rahimahullaah - in alUmm (6/209), "Indeed, music is makrooh amusement resembling falsehood. And whosoever listens to it, then he is an i d i o t (safeeh) who testimony is to be rejected."

Said Abut-Tayyib at-Tabaree, "He declared the one who listens to music an i d i o t because he calls the people to falsehood and whosoever calls the people to falsehood is an idiotic disobedient sinner."

Said Ibnul-Qayyim in Ighaathatul-Lahfaan (p. 350), "And ash-Shaafi'ee and his elder companions and those who were knowledgable of his madhhab were from the harshest of people speaking against music."

4. The Madhhab of Imaam Ahmed Ibn Hanbal: From Abdullaah Ibn Ahmad Ibn Hanbal who said, "I asked my father about music, so he said, 'It does not surprise me that music cultivates hypocrisy in the heart.'"

From Abul-Haarith who said, "I asked Abaa Abdullaah what he thought about at-taghbeer and whether or not it melts the hearts, so he said, 'It is an innovation.'"

Said Ibnul-Jawzee, "So as for the music that is known today, then he (Ahmad Ibn Hanbal) warns against it. How would it be if he had known what the people had invented of additions."

Sheikh Fozi al-Athari says, "May Allaah bestow mercy upon Ibnul-Jawzee, how would it be if he had known what the people have innovated into music from additions in this present age!!!"

Said Ibnul-Jawzee, "And the fuqahaa (jurists) from the companions - meaning the Hanaabilah - do not accept the testimony of the singer and the dancer. And Allaah is the One who grants success."

Said Ibn Taymiyyah - rahimahullaah - in al-Fatwaa (11/576), "So let it be known that if the hand drum (daff), reed flute and singing are combined, then this is unlawful (haraam) according to the Imaams of the madhhaahib and according to the other Scholars of the Muslims."

Said Ibn Taymiyyah in Minhaajus-Sunnah (3/439), "The four Imaams are all agreed upon the unlawfulness (tahreem) of music such as the flute and its likes."

Imaam Naasirud-Deen al-Albaanee (d. 1420H) - rahimahullaah - said in Tahreem Aalaatut-Tarab (p. 105), "Indeed, the Scholars of the jurists - amongst them are the Four Imaams - have all agreed upon the prohibition of musical instruments in following the Prophetic ahaadeeth and the Salafee narrations."

So these four Imaams who are from the most outstanding Scholars of the Muslims have ruled that is is unlawful (haraam) to listen to musical instruments, stringed instruments and singing. So who can come with more knowledge than these onees, whether he brings an agreement or disagreement. And is there anything after the truth except falsehood? And the last of our calls is that the praise of Allaah be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and all his Companions.

Sky   

Shirwac, never thought it was possible that someone from my hometown Bacaadweyn would be into Rock music. Personally, I can't stand this garbage.

But all of you, whatever makes you get your groove on. Hiphopera is my undisputed cup of tea.

Forget about Heavy-Metal Music the new ultimate trend is about "Death-Metal", it's somehow sarcastic why this people are always so negative.

I'd advise everyone to abstain from listening to Heavy Metal, Death-Metal or other sorts of Satanic Music. It's really not good for the state of your mind. I gues you live in the land of the free and brave (give me a break) because over here in Europe you don't see Somalis who like "Death-Metal", most of the Somalis I know who are somehow unreligious listen to Hip-Hop, Pop, Indian, Arabic and Somali music. I find the majority of the Music really corrupting one's heart and questioning the loyalty to our common somali heritage and our pure religion.

If have been called many things and criticised by many people who accused me of being somehow Anti-Modern or against modernity but for the fact of matter Iam a tradionalist and conservative who knows where he comes from.

I don't accept western values, in fact I don't see them as values but as western "trash" or garbage. The only think they have and we're lacking is their technological and sophisticated approach to education. This is because in the West one can freely persue his idea and develop his mind, whilst in Islamic countries it is forbidden to further develop once mind or to do research or even to invent something because if you do and the you don't agree with the governments stand you'll soon find yourself in exile.

I hate to integrate too much into the western society, I've people I talk to, share and exchange ideas but I don't go that far to share close friendship with them or even to invite them to stay some days in my house, how absurd. Talk to your western friends, study with them and do everything to learn and benefit from thier knowledge but never ever become too close to them because if you stay too long with them you'll forget about your prayers and islamic ettiquete etc.

These people i.e. western people will never accept us for what we're. They'll keep criticising us until we follow their religion, swap our wifes with them and go with them to the pub to have a few lagers with them.

Simply Islam is the best, we already have a superior lifestyle then them so why do we lower us to their pityful level.

As Sayyid Qutb already mentioned in his book, he outlined some fifty years ago, that sooner rather than later that we will see the colappse of the communinsm in other words he prophsised the downfall of comunism, he said afterwards that also the capitlistic approach to society and consumerism will also fail because we all know what goes on in western societies, the highest number of rapes, hatecrimes and racism. With Islam those things doesn't exist.

Now Bush can talk all he wants about prevent an Islamic state from happening but it is already predistined for the Muslim Ummah to become the world leader once again and to trash all the flag-carries of the shaytaan.

We can't live in western society and claim to be good muslims because we make daily concessions to the unbelievers e.g. you can't pray your salat during working hours or you can't go home ten minutes earlier in order to catch the train home in order to make the iftaar.

We can't deny certain influences in our life. In a society where you here the adhan five times a day it becomes very easy for you to attend jamaacah prayers but in a society where the females run virtually naked around the streets (just go to central london) how difficult is it for you to lower your gaze? in contrast to an islamic state where the muslim sisters are properly covered up?

Make your choice and think about your future, We're Muslims than Somalis and led not the shiny and big crystal buildings of the west fool you, they're morally corrupted.

Lidia   

Originally posted by Foxy:

Listen to whatever tickles your fancy dear rock/folk be it country music......and what ever the occassion calls for.......its a matter of personal choice, so knock yourself hard with your Heavy Rock.....rock on

:Dsmile.gif
......personally I am sucker for Deep Funky House Music.......

cheers

Hi there Foxy, Greetings! Sis, the question was not about what one does or does not listen to but, whether listening to music of that kind (metal in this case) was Haram during the holy month of Ramadhan, or if listening to it would break your fast.

Libaan thanks for the reply, however I have to disagree with you there, sepultura .does have songs about Satan for example, in “Bestial Devastation†they do sing about demons, the son of devil and the same goes for the song “Troops Of Doom.â€

To Animal Farm, wow I really didn’t know that, I don’t believe that I’ve heard anything like that before, hot lava? :eek: But, yeah I do think it’s better to keep it safe and not listen to any music for the rest of the month.

Yoonis, Death metal, Black metal, Dark metal, Doom metal, Gothic metal or even Grindcore, are all genres of Heavy medal, so there is no such thing as "there is no Heavy metal". For example, the band Cradle of Filth, some call them Death metal while others call them Black metal, but they are still under the Heavy medal category.

It seems like these days you can find alot of Muslims who know more about music than they know about Islam. Allaahu mustacan. May Allah save me and my family from such a horrible fate.

Originally posted by Lidia:

Hello Socod_badne
smile.gif

The reason I said that, is because the loudness of the music keeps me awake and energized...I guess different people have different methods.

Hello to you too Lidea smile.gif ,

You know what? You're absolutely right about different ppl having different tastes. I've seen some ppl who drink coffee to sleep 193.gif

Originally posted by Muhammad Amriki:

It seems like these days you can find alot of Muslims who know more about music than they know about Islam. Allaahu mustacan. May Allah save me and my family from such a horrible fate.

What horrible fate? I don't like suspense man!

musik29.gif

Shirwac   

Originally posted by Sky:

Shirwac
, never thought it was possible that someone from my hometown Bacaadweyn would be into Rock music. Personally, I can't stand this garbage.

My older brother was into that stuff, that is how I know about.