Sign in to follow this  
Castro

My opium is better than yours

Castro   

I came across this site recently and thought I might share it with you. It is an evangelical Somali christian site. It has both English and Somali pages.

What I found most interesting were the songs and testimonials in the Somali language. I wonder how these Somali christians are treated by fellow Somali muslims in Toronto?

http://somalichristians.org/scm/

LOL @ Sky

Olef I think your discursive methods are a bit overwhelming for some nomads here. You seem to have angered the tradionalist Somalis on here. I think many of us have forgotten that Somalis are part of the human race, and that we will have our differences of faith and ideology.

I was rather shocking to see a young Somali artist wanting to create a Christian comic book to advance Christianity. A friend of mine who was searching for scholarships for Animation school came across the following link – the kid got a scholarship…

PS. Sky is your friend the same guy who took down the Radio Baranbaro guy, who posted pics of Somali girls ?? ;)

===============================================

Abdullahi M. Farah

ARTS Winner in Visual Arts

Owings Mills, MD

$3,000 (Level I) Award Presidential Scholar in the Arts

Abdullahi (Abdi) Farah, a painter and sculptor, is a senior at Carver Center for the Arts and Technology. Since sophomore year Abdi has been winning local and national art competitions. In 2004 Abdi won a Scholastic Art and Writing Awards National Gold Key and was exhibited at the Corcoran Gallery in Washington, DC during the summer of 2004. Abdi won the National NAACP ACT-SO Gold Medal in Painting for two consecutive years, and in 2004 he also won a National Silver Medal in Sculpture. Additionally in 2004, Abdi was selected to participate in the Marie Walsh Sharpe Art Foundation Summer Seminar held in Colorado Springs. Other junior year accolades include being named only one of 81 Maryland Distinguished Scholar finalists, and having his award-winning ACT-SO painting exhibited at the Baltimore Museum of Art. Furthermore, Abdi is very serious about his studies, currently ranking third in his class of 177 students. He has also earned varsity letters for basketball and cross-country.

Abdi greatly admires the American master painters, including John Singer Sargent, Henry Ossawa Tanner, and Thomas Eakins as well as painter and sculpture Elizabeth Catlett. Abdi will attend the University of Pennsylvania in the fall. He also wants to create his own Christian comic book and to do short term missions incorporating art to teach and encourage. Finally, Abdi loves his family deeply and he believes that his mother’s limitless encouragement and support for his art has been critical.

Farah01_jpg.jpg

dawoco   

Whats the point of this topic? I mean, why should we want to know abt a somali christian website? Further more, how come you, Ofleh, have come across this website? Were u looking for a Somali christian website? And lastly, what are you trying to achieve with this topic? Awareness and condemnation of the christian somalis? or something completely different?

Sorry Ofleh, i tend to go off on a tangent point :(

Each country has people that deviate from the religion of their upbringing. Nothing new in that. Though i highly doubt somalis have taken to the cross because "jesus loves them". As long as they don't come to sing the gospel at my doorsteps, it is up to them what they do to further their mercenary mission.

I don’t know if he has a personal website, I took this information from the scholarship website – maybe googling his name might turn something up?

But just in case here’s the link

http://www.artsawards.org/alumni/awardee05/VisualArts/index.cfm

that’s the link, if you scroll down you might see the same info that you see in the forum, apart from that there’ isn’t more on about him.

He seems like a talented kid. We dont know what his upbringing was like and how he came to his chosen faith. So there is no point speculating. He isnt in the public eye or involved in the public debasing of any religion and just because he has a seemingly Somali name doesnt give us the right to judge him. Highlighting his 'religion' on this site is unneccesary and poses a risk.

Sky   

Animal Farm, bro I heard about that guy who brought down the website of that pig. That loser disgraced a lot of Somali girls. But then again they had it coming. Unfortunately the website is back up again, although you have to be redirected at first.

The girls on this website are on their own now.

Check out how this website of the Somali Christians is down in a matter of days. Ofleh Lol your attempt, whatever it was, backfired.

Cawralo and Animal Farm, the boy won the 2005 Arts in Visual Arts.

05_Farah.jpg

Posing as a winner next to his sculptures.

PS. Whatsup with the topic title?

Sky, please dont publice that site any further. Can you imagine the traffic u earned him in the last few hours?

[ July 11, 2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Athena ]

LOL @ Northener

I can’t argue if he is Somali, or not, but I mean he looks Somali, his name is Somali, but I think he was adopted at a young age, becuz some of his paintings depict him living with non-Somalis, or so they seem.

Athena, I might have jumped to conclusions by assuming that he was Somali who had converted to Christianity – I’m trying to find his contact info, I been trying to interview him for a magazine and clear the debate up, becuz we had a similar debate with another nomad.

PS. Sky do you have it out for Olef or what?

Castro   

Thank you, I'll forward this to a friend to bring this website down.

Why would you do that? Somali christians, according to this site, do exist. Bringing the site down won't make them go away. Sky, you remind me of an ostrich that would stick its head in the sand. Dude, relax. You're not the website police around here.

Blessed   

Somali Christians though a small minority existed for centauries, they’re bound to have websites - so for me the subject is a no issue.

I must say though, the title of this thread is very peculiar.

Were you intending to prove that idiom by soliciting negative responses from the nomads? Are you generally poking fun of people of religion or quiet simply making that statement?

Castro   

Were you intending to prove that idiom by soliciting negative responses from the nomads? Are you generally poking fun of people of religion or quiet simply making that statement?

The answer is D.