Sign in to follow this  
Kruella

Conference

Kruella   

Toronto folks, for those who want to debate till they're blue in the face this is the place for you guys. If it were up to me, I would say don't even bother to give a penny to listen to them rant and rave. Nonetheless, it's an interesting group of parrots singing the cause of the hypocrites. If you're into comedy and farces here is your event!

salam

Date: Friday August 12, 2005

Time:7:30 pm

Film: "Submission"

10 minute short film about women in Islam

Public Speakers: 7:30 pm to 10:00 pm

Questions: for 30 minutes following the presentations

Press Conference: 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm

(at the corner of Bedford Rd and Bloor Street West)

Tickets can be picked up from information disk at 252 Bloor Street West only on Saturdays 2:00-6:30 PM.

Tickets: $20.00

(seniors and students) $12.00

Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Ms. Ali is an MP for the Liberal Party in the Netherlands. She is also an author and the co-producer of the film "Submission".

In her book, de Zoontjesfabriek (Factory of Sons), she criticized traditional Islamic views on the position of women in society.

The film 'Submission' is about the oppression of women in Islamic cultures. Dutch Muslims found it to be blasphemous and as a result her co-producer Theo Van Gogh was murdered by Mohammed Bouyeri, a radical Islamist.

Ayaan now lives under police protection in a safe house.

Irshad Manji

Ms. Manji is the best-selling author of "The Trouble with Islam Today" and the host of the TV show "Big Ideas,"

Oprah Winfrey recently honored Irshad with her first annual Chutzpah Award for "audacity, nerve, boldness and conviction." Ms. magazine has selected Irshad as a "Feminist for the 21st Century." Maclean's, Canada's national news magazine, named her one of ten "Canadians Who Make a Difference,"

In June, Irshad received the Simon Wiesenthal Award of Valor. Most recently, OUT magazine has included Irshad in its list of "top success stories of 2004."

Homa Arjomand

Ms. Arjomand, is the Coordinator of the International Campaign Against Sharia Court in Canada.

She started her campaign in October 2003 with a handful of supporters, and today it has grown to a coalition of over 80 organizations and 1000's of activists.

Homa is a Toronto based transitional counselor and was a human rights activist in Iran until she was forced to flee in 1989.

WWW.nosharia.com

Castro   

Originally posted by Kruella:

Toronto folks, for those who want to debate till they're blue in the face this is the place for you guys. If it were up to me, I would say don't even bother to give a penny to listen to them rant and rave.

This will probably be a heavily policed event. There will also be demonstrations and ruckus inside the auditorium. All in all, it will be a circus. As usual, the panel members, as wrong as they may be, will look down on the hooligans and assume the moral high ground. They will look sophisticated and well mannered while the audience medieval and ignorant. Just what the panel is trying to convey to the west.

But it would be nice to see see Hirsi Ali and Manji in the same room. Hate it or love it, they are celebrities.

Senora   

^^Triple :mad: :mad: :mad:

If it were up to me, I would say don't even bother to give a penny to listen to them rant and rave

Most definitely... It would be as if you were donating to their cause :rolleyes:

I personally don't think it would be very useful to attend...unless you want to see how these ladies conduct themselves in a live situation.

I went to an Islamic Feminist Seminar two years ago, where some hard-hitting Muslim female Academics were given a platform to speak..(interestingly enough 2 of the 3 speakers were Iranian exiles and the third one was American) and I must say I left very disappointed. These ladies never come up with anything new or useful. They don't tackle any of the most urgent issues that affect us (women?) today. They flutter around inconsequestial and supposedly 'controversial' topics and make sweeping generalisations that are neither here nor there.

I wouldn't bother myself with their empty rhetoric, if I was being paid to.

But whoever decides to attend should report back to us. :D

Pujah.   

I will be in T.dot that week but then again i dont think i can stomach watching those two ladies mocking our religion.

Baluug   

They must be f**king nuts to appear in public anywhere!!Especially Ayaan coming to a city with large somali population.If she's smart,she'll be wearing riot gear!!