Sign in to follow this  
Fabregas

Dispatches, undercover mosque, tonight channel 4 8PM.

Fabregas   

A Dispatches reporter attends mosques run by organisations whose public faces are presented as moderate and finds preachers condemning integration into British society, condemning democracy and praising the Taliban for killing British soldiers.

Prime Minister Tony Blair recently described tolerance as 'what makes Britain Britain' but in this extensive investigation Dispatches reveals how a message of hatred and segregation is being spread throughout the UK and examines how it is influenced by the religious establishment of Saudi Arabia.

Dispatches has investigated a number of mosques run by high profile national organisations that claim to be dedicated to moderation and dialogue with other faiths. But an undercover reporter joined worshippers to find a message of religious bigotry and extremism being preached.

He captures chilling sermons in which Saudi-trained preachers proclaim the supremacy of Islam, preach hatred for non-Muslims and for Muslims who do not follow their extreme beliefs - and predict a coming jihad. "An army of Muslims will arise," announces one preacher. Another preacher said British Muslims must "dismantle" British democracy - they must "live like a state within a state" until they are "strong enough to take over."

The investigation reveals Saudi Arabian universities are recruiting young Western Muslims to train them in their extreme theology, then sending them back to the West to spread the word. And the Dispatches reporter discovers that British Muslims can ask for fatwas, religious rulings, direct from the top religious leader in Saudi Arabia, the Grand Mufti.

Saudi-trained preachers are also promoted in DVDs and books on sale at religious centres and sermons broadcast on websites. These publications and webcasts disseminate beliefs about women such as: "Allah has created the woman deficient, her intellect is incomplete", and girls: "By the age of 10 if she doesn't wear hijab, we hit her," and there's an extreme hostility towards homosexuals.

The investigation reveals that the influence of Saudi Arabian Islam, Wahabism, extends beyond the walls of some mosques to influential organisations that advise the British government on inter-community relations and prevention of terrorism.

The Dispatches reporter attends talks at mosques run by key organisations whose public faces are presented as moderate and mainstream - and finds preachers condemning the idea of integration into British society, condemning British democracy as un-Islamic and praising the Taliban for killing British soldiers.

Undercover Mosque features interviews with moderate British Muslim figures who are speaking out against the influence of Saudi Arabia's extreme brand of Islam, which is seeking to overturn Islamic traditions of diversity and peaceful co-existence: "We are losing our children to extremists," says Haras Rafiq of the Sufi Muslim Council. Dr Al Alawi of the Islamic Heritage Foundation also warns: "If this continues, you will have extremist mosques in every corner of the UK. You will not have moderate Muslims walking on our streets anymore."

Join the Dispatches Forum to discuss this Dispatches investigation or leave your comments below.

-Lily-   

What channel is it?

I find some of the comments halarious. It will probably make a lot of ppl purple with rage.

Very weak and incompetent journalism, I wonder why I have bothered watching!

People taken out of context intenionally and ignorant folks!

Why should they advocating for 'hate' preachers to be stopped when it is Islaam they want to ban, ban the religion if you don't like what you hearing because what was qouted is from our religion and we're not altering it for you because you might have taken 'offence'!

Islaam and muslims aren't comparable with the kaafirs ideology and they should know it. Wallaahi the Prophet peace be upon him was talking the truth when he said 'the fire of the kaafirs and those of the muslims aren't visible to each other' meaning that muslims shouldn't be living amongst the kaafirs!

Ofcourse they will persuit us until we adhere to their wishes and I particularly find it unbelieveable when some of those muslims individuals and organisatiosn where actually retracking on what they had said!

It's good if the good Imaams that teach the muslims don't make a target out of themselves but it would be better if they stated that they have been taken out of context and told them it's their religion but some of them fear for their livelihoods in the west I guess because if they are deported from the UK they will be probably deported to Pakistan or other muslim countries where there lives and livelihood might be endangered so I can see why they took their cautious approach!

Really bad journalism really bad!

Fabregas   

I don't know how anyone can go day in and day out to listen to lectures from Abu Osama, who preaches jihad and that muslims should not associate with non muslims from "Birmingham, U.K".You'l not find any of these sheikhs on the streets giving dawa or teaching youth how to stay away from crime because they are busy declaring how the "uk" will become a khalifa and that they will take over the world.

Khalaf   

Originally posted by Abu_Geeljire:

I don't know how anyone can go day in and day out to listen to lectures from Abu Osama, who preaches jihad and that muslims should not associate with non muslims from "Birmingham, U.K".You'l not find any of these sheikhs on the streets giving dawa or teaching youth how to stay away from crime because they are busy declaring how the "uk" will become a khalifa and that they will take over the world.

lol i watched him on youtube crazy dude and other UK cats (hizb cool cats)........uk would be great place for me......in the states u never c that or have good programs.....i dont watch american news wa bullshit.

UK_ROSE   

Hi Guys I've just seen the program and to those who've seen its evident that they were sellecting the negative comments... It was a bias program concentrating on showing a negative picture of Islam.

I am happy for these sort of programs to be aired because it will encourage muslims and non-muslins to question themsleves and find out more about Islam.

Learned nothing new, Wahabi spin on the same kind of programme. The narrator sounded like a kid who'd learned a couple of fancy words and couldn't stop saying them- kuffar, kuffr,kuffr, kuffar. I laughed out loud a few times at the recorders and the recorded. Blah.