Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

Love On The Net Enchants Somali Teenagers

LANDER   

http://www.somalilandnet.com/news/wnews/headline/13690.shtml

Love on the Net enchants Somaliland teenagers

Young people in Somaliland are so wild about the Internet and cyber-dating that local associations and the United Nations children's agency are out to ensure education and ease tensions.

Streets in Hargeisa, is far more peaceful than most of the lawless country, empty of teenagers in late afternoons as they wait their turn in Internet cafes to send a flurry of instant messages to distant paramours.

Since they have much increased access to the Web, Somaliland's teenage girls are frequently lured into marriage abroad hoping to enjoy the economic benefits of natives living elsewhere, primarily in Britain, according to civic associations.

"Why don't the girls look at us rather than instant messaging Somalilanders far away?" local teenager Amin Sheikh Mukhtar wondered. "Because we can't afford a lavish wedding ceremony or cars."

Many girls rely on such chat in hopes of netting prospective Somaliland men living elsewhere and as a widespread social response, they are encouraged into marrying at an increasingly early age to stem the flow into the diaspora.

The practice seriously disrupts the education of girls, they themselves said. In turn, this worries officials in and the United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef), which has begun to address the problem to encourage education.

"If you are married, you can't go to school while you're pregnant," Leyla Abdullahi told AFP. "It's unrealistic to have children and learn at the same time."

"If girls wait until they go to university to get married, then they will be too old to mother children," argued Abdullahi Hassan, shrugging off what he called a "Western concept".

Until recent years, it was formerly forbidden to discuss marriage among men and women in this rigid Muslim country of about 3.5 million people as a matter for public debate but the cyber-cafes are one sign of changing social values.

An official working for the Somaliland Cultural and Sport Association (SOCSA) official said the need for awareness about the consequences of early marriage was more important than outdated notions of marriage and education.

"The idea is to create awareness in the young community to understand to what unplanned marriage does to the education of young girls," said Khadra Khalil of SOCSA.

At a seminar on the issue, Hassan nodded in appreciation.

"I need to go to school, earn a degree from the university and get a job. Then I'll be able to discuss marriage," the outspoken 18-year-old man said, but not all the girls participating were as open to discussing marriage, especially in mixed company.

SOCSA officers pushed on, citing high rates of divorce and lack of education among girls who are married at an early age. -

Sapa-AFP By Ali Musa Abdi

Gabbal   

I don't want to start an argument nor want to start a squabble, but why did you not make the title of your article and the name of your thread the same?

It was:

Love on the Net enchants
Somaliland
teenagers

You changed it to:

Love On The Net Enchants
Somali
Teenagers

I am not saying you can't do that, but whenever there is any remotely positive news coming from that area it's always "Somaliland" and never "Somali" or "Somalia"; so let's just say this just caught me by surprise. Maybe you don't think this is positive news?

If I am blowing in the wind, just ignore it bro, I was just curious.

LANDER   

hoogyaal miciyeystay ayaa internetka wareegayoo hablaha yar yar ka waali.

Talow ma Odayga yar ee Ngonge la yidha a ka mid aa raghad sheegayso? misee odaygii Tolstoy :D (pardon le somali)...

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

I don't want to start an argument nor want to start a squabble, but why did you not make the title of your article and the name of your thread the same?

For one reason or another the site wouldn't let me copy/paste the title, so I typed it in manualy so a typo I guess. If it bothers you, request the admin to change the title to Love on the net enchants [insert your little tulo here] Teenagers , and I promise to overlook it

icon_razz.gif @Lander

If it bothers you, request the admin to change the title to Love on the net enchants [insert your little tulo here] Teenagers , and I promise to overlook it

LMAO@insert your lil tuulo. Good suggestion Lander. There is no "if"s about any of this. It bothered him so much that he couldn't resist inuu calaacalo in an open forum for everyone to take a crack@him. Who knew nimanka iney calaacal yaqaaneen better than the women, I sure didn't, atleast I didn't come across one for a while.

Gabbal   

^^I don't know what I have done to you, but it seems I got on your bad side for one reason or another. First it was the Tarawiix thread and now this? I think I better start ignoring you. I shy away from negative presence. smile.gif

I don't even know what to say since I don't even hold your "cyper acquaintance". :cool:

Jabhad   

Don't blow the whistle sxb. Let the brother use the title and get more hits.

^^^, are you saying if the title of the thread had "SOMALILAND" instead of somali, you would turn the other way, haruun? Who are you kidding...

HornOfAfka, when you wrote and said

You openly invited just about anyone who would see it the way I saw it when I read those lines.

YOu turned an innocent article that lander posted and made it "SOMALIA" vs "SOMALILAND" in a matter of minutes. This isn't the political section, you just spoiled this topic for potential readers and its in your head.(I apologize lander for taking over your lil thing here, it couldn't be helped)

Getting to the "how You got on my bad side".

I have nothing personal against you or anyone else, get that through your thick skull and let it sit there.

If I may, this is a public forum, you ask for an argument or squabble as you say, and you will get your wish, simple as that. As far as not holding my "cyper acquaintance", I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy and I mean that in a good way, so lets keep it that way, shall we sonny boy.

PS:Watch what you write before you write it and you just might not go through it all, hint hint.

Gabbal   

Lander and I have known each other for a long time in the Politics Section. I merely commented, apologetically, on an inconsistency I noticed.

You, though, should grace your [negative] presence on another individual. I am out, peace walaashiis.

I am heading to somaliland to score with dem gold diggin xalimos. Yeah I got money, saved from all dem days I been doing double shifts at the factory. You think my american passport would make an impression on them or do I need have a british one too?

Sky   

I'm not a fan of meeting your loved one online, it doesn't feel natural. But its good to know some fine looking ladies in Hargeisa are waiting for their cue.

Gediid   

Originally posted by Young Jeezy:

I am heading to somaliland to score with dem gold diggin xalimos. Yeah I got money, saved from all dem days I been doing double shifts at the factory. You think my american passport would make an impression on them or do I need have a british one too?

Was that supposed to be an attempt at humor cuz I seem to have missed it altogether...

From what I know them girls are looking for a MAN, do you think you qualify as such?????

Horn

Caadi ma tihid,I would think all those years in Seatown dreaming about becoming the Somali Bill Gates would have made you forget all them bullets that flew over your head during the exodus but I guess not, since you seem to wanna pick a fight everywhere for even the smallest of typos.....

Libaax

:D:D

Sky

I picture you as the type who prey on young innocent girls online lying thru their teeth just to get a crack at that first elusive relationship but again I might be wrong but I seriously doubt it....... icon_razz.gif

Sky   

Originally posted by Gediid:

Sky

I picture you as the type who prey on young innocent girls online lying thru their teeth just to get a crack at that first elusive relationship but again I might be wrong but I seriously doubt it.......
icon_razz.gif

:D:D

Prey on young innocent girls kuye. Gediid, you're making me sound like a monster.

Let's just enjoy the innocent catfight (Miauw!) between Layziegirl & Lander versus HornAfrique.

You, though, should grace your [negative] presence on another individual. I am out, peace walaashiis.

Layziegirl, are you just letting him say that to you? Defend yourself! :D