Sign in to follow this  
Major-General Cawad

My Favourite Somali Ever

To: All users of the website Somaliaonline.com (SOL)!!

Re: I hereby notify all memebers who actively or passively somehow contribute to the forums (regardless what forum) to nominate their "Greatest Somali living ever". He or She can be an artist, politician, poet, important personaity from the military and armed forces or even you grandfather.

You should also state the reason why you've nominated that particular person. Let's bring some light into the politics section.

I hope you'll contribute.

P.S. The nomination process will end this coming Saturday at 00:00 am GMT. I will then produce a Shortlist of the twenty most nominated personalties after that it will go to the poll and the person with the most votes will be crowned "Greatest Somali Living Ever" and a week of storytelling and live of the winner will be posted.

So don't waste any time. Start nominating now and don't forget to give your reason aswell.

Jacpher   

I don't mean to be negative but I personally don't know any living Somali politician that deserves nomitation. Honestly, I think the Somali politicians namely the war lords deserve punishment for their crimes against humanity. I can only think of those Somali leaders with dignity like Adan Cade, Abdirashid Sharmarke, SYL founders, and those Somalis who contributed to make our independent a reality. These are the true Somali leaders that left good examples for us to follow and deserve recognition.

Today’s Somali politicians (war lords) are not only responsible for the death of half million Somalis but they are also disgrace to Somali people and our beloved country. It's shame some of us believe these fools will bring peace and harmony. I’m not active on Somali politics so I don't really know any Somali politician that clean from qabiil.

That's a tough question to answer. But if I had to make a choice, I'd say Sayyid Maxamed Abdulle Xasan. He was the man who coalesced the power of anti-colonial forces and valiantly fought the colonists - be they British, Italian or Amhara. Of course, the means he chose to pursue his patriotic struggle is open to debate, but what can't be denied of him is the impact (religious, cultural and political) his life had (and continues to have) on the psyche of pre and post-independence Somali nationalism.

As probably the most-written about Somali to ever live, the Sayyid had shown the world the essence of the Somali character: honorable warriors armed with poetic souls.

I salute the Sayyid - the undisputed Father of Somali Nationalism.

Allaha u naxariisto.

OLOL   

for me, it is " Sayidka, Aden Cadde and Hadraawi - in that order. two living legends and one great nationalist hero.

The men mentioned above are great. Sayid Mohamed the warrior poet, Adan Cade the gentle honest politician an example to all. Hadrawi a man who has contributed so much to the Somali arts and more.

However I would go back in history some 500 years and nominate Imam Ahmed Ibrahim al Ghazi [Ahmed Guray]. For no Somali, man has achieved what he did in his short life. A true national figure who can not be claimed by clan or region. The man the lion [Ethiopia] bowed down to...

As for the greatest living Somali, that would be my own mother :D

nuune   

Sayyid Maxamed Cabdulle Xassan, a sheikh, Caalim, Wadaad, Warrior, Politician, Poet, he is the Father of all Somalis, some will argue that, but they got no proofs to deny all his achievements that he is all of that I mentioned and many more!

Ilaahey janada haka waraabiyo Sayyidka, aamiin

and for one living legend, I can't thnk of any except dayniile.com :D

SOO MAAL   

1)Sayid Mohammad Abdulaah Hassan, was the greatest Somali ever alive, true he was a hero for all somali people,yes he was sheikh, poet,leader, politician, and warrior.

See even the British sources giving the credit he deserves;

The Mad Mullah

The Mad Mullah was a national hero and a freedom fighter in somalia. He fought the Great Britain army stationed in

somalia in the early 20th century. His struggle against the colonist forces started in 1899 and ended with his death in

1921. The Mad Mullah successfully fought agains the Great Britain troops for more than 2 decades until his army,

better known as the Dervishes, were bombarded heavily by RAF planes, that attack was the first time in which

airplanes were used in an attack as the principal tool, the attack took place in 1920.

Sayid Maxamad ( Mad Mullah was a nick name given to him by the British ) was a scholar in islamic teaching

( shiekh ), and he always despised how the christian British were ruling the Somali land. In 1899, the Mad Mullah

managed into convincing some of the nomads in the area to join him in his fight against the christian British colonialist,

the Mad Mullah. He organized an army of few thousand nomadic Somalis, he then invaded some of the territories that

were ruled by the British. The british rulers in somalia decided to finish off the Mad Mullah's threat before it grew

bigger. They sent many different expeditions and british armies against the Mad Mullah in many different years, but the

Mad Mullah was able to win many battles against the english and always evade being captured.

The long military campaigns against the Mad Mullah were costing the British government large sums of money and

effort, and the Mad Mullah wasn't killed or captured in a span of two decades, also the British Rulers and army in

somalia were losing grip over much of the country, leaving it in the hands of the Dervish warriors. All those reasons

compelled the British Government to send 12 dh9 type of RAF airplanes to somalia to bomb the Dervishes in their

forts. In the year 1920, 12 RAF airplanes bombed all the Dervish forts in jidale, medishi, badhan and taleex. 100s of

Dervish warriors died as a result and most of the forts were destroyed by the airiel bombardment, the Mad Mullah had

to flee his headquarters at taleex with only few well known Dervishes, he sought refuge in current day ethiopia in a little

town with the name of Imey. It was in Imey were the Mad Mullah has finally died due to influenza sickness.

The Mad Mullah is a national hero to the Somali people today. He fought with bravery against the colonist british

troops for over 21 years. He also was a great Somali poet who added to the poetry field in somali history and enriched

the all ready rich Somali langauge. All Somalis today are proud of the Mad Mullah or Sayid Maxamad for his bravery

and defiance to the colonist forces.

2) Somalia' First president set good example H.E. Aden Abdullah Osman

Aden Abdullah Osman:

H.E. Aden Abdullah Osman was born at Belet Weyne (Hiran Region). After receiving education at State Schools, he acquired administrative experience in Government oficies.

He subsequently devoted himself to his own business. In Febraury 1944, he joined the Somali Youth Club (subsequently called Somali Youth League), became a member of the party's steering board and in 1946 was appointed Secreatry of the Belet Weyne section of the party.

In 1951 the Regional Council of Mudug designated him for the Territorial Council on which he served uninterruptedly (up to February 1956) as the representative of the S.Y.L.

In 1953 he was appointed Vice-President of the Territorial Council. In 1954 he became the President of the Somali Youth League and remained office untill 1956. Re-elected to the same position in May 1958, he occupied this post simultaneously with the post of the President of the Legislative Assembly until 1st July 1960.

In 1956, when the Territorial Council was replaced by Legislative Assembly, he was elected member of the National Assembly for Belet Weyne District at the general political elections, and in meantime the Legislative Assembly appointed him its President.

In the 1959 general political elections, he was again elected member of the National Assembly, which again appointed him Presedent. He maintained this post when the Legislative Assembly was converted into the Consituent Assembly.

In his capacity as President of the Constituent Assembly, on 1st July 1960, he proclaimed the Independence of the Somali Republic and following the unification of the northern and southern territories - former British Somaliland and Italian Somaliland. The National Assembly chose him as Provisional President of the Republic for period of 1 year, and in 1961 re-elected him to the same mandate for 6 years.

He devoted his interest to legal, social and economic studies. Besides Somali, he speaks Italian, English and Arabic.

According to the Constitution of the Republic, the out-going President enjoyed life-membership of the Somali National Assembly (Article 51, paragraph 4).

3) Abdirashid Ali Shermake:

H.E. Abdirashid Ali Shermake was born in 1919 at Haradere in the district of Obbia. After having attended Quranic schools, he completed his elementary education 1936.

From 1937 to 1943 he became a trader and later a Civil Servant in the then Italian Administration. At the same time, he brought his educational standard up to Intermediate level.

He joined the Somali Youth League (SYL) immediately after its foundation in 1943. He entered the British Administration Civil Service in 1944.

He completed his secondary education in 1950-53 while still Civil Servant, and got a scholarship to the University of Rome where he graduated in political science in 1958. One year later after returing from Italy, he was elected to the then Legislative Assembly from Gardo as SYL member in 1959. He thus terminated fifteen years in the Civil Service.

Immediately after Independence on July 1st 1960, he was nominated by President Aden Abdullah Osman as Prime Minister, a position he held until March 1964 when the first General Elections were held. He was re-elected to Parliament from his old constituency. On August 20, 1959 he had been among the first politicians who demanded independence before the targeted date of 31st December, 1960.

As Prime Minister, Abdirashid travelled abroad extensively in pursuit of a non-aligned and neutral foriegn policy. Although the ruling SYL Party recommended him to be re-nominated as Prime Minister by a large majority, President Aden Abdullah Osman invited Abdirazak Haji Hussein to form a cabinet in which Abdirashid was not member.

Syed Mohamed; the man who envisioned the possibility of Somali republic and fought for it! Mohamed Cawaale, the man who imprinted Syed’s vision in to our national flag.

Aden Cadde, the man who defied the logic of Somali/clannish politics and stayed float and above its muddy waters.

Simply I couldn’t find match for the contributions of these three men in Somali history.

Sophist   

Sayid Mohamed Ibnu Cabdule Ibnu Hasan Ibnu mohamed is the most towering figure in the history of our people.

The irony here is that Mohamed Abdille Hassan was the very first warlord the Somalis ever saw. Clear and simple.

If the required qualities for this prestigious title include:

* The indiscriminate killings of innocent civilians

* The building of roadblocks and robbing poor people of their food

* The consistent raids of nomads of their camels

* The destruction of property

* Name callings, diatribe and blind clanism

* Labelling and branding anyone who does not adhere to your version of Islam (including whole clans) as non muslim

* close 100 legal wives and having affairs with the wives of your close friends

Then Mohamed Abdilleh Hassan is by far the winner, no disputes there. :D

No other man was celebrated at his demise then this maniac - the first warlord we had ever seen. This is what his longtime righthand man Ismacil Mire, who defected after witnessing how mad this mullah was, had to say at the demise of this old bloodsucker.

Waa lagu digtaa ruux haduu kuu darnaan jire

BAL DAYAAY WADAADKI WAKAA SII DABAYSHADEE

Its little wonder why the majority of the Somalis rejected this maniac, including those who he shared clan affiliation.

Tacabkii ba' waa sida Fircoon tab iyo diinaade

Isagaba Badbaa lagaga tegey naarna lagu tuurye

Kanna taakadaas baw hadhoo waa tukubayaaye

Ha targaafo sida Towja geel Tuurin baw qorane

Surely Abwaan Cali Jamac Habiil predicted the faith of that MF.

A Somali nationalist is someone who enjoys the support of not from his clan but from other clans as well.

^ Now you are talking Idaaja's tongue. ;)

The old bugger himself was the biggest clanist that ever walked on this earth. He was in fact the root to many current ils among the Somali people. He invented clanism as the way we know it today.

SOO MAAL   

Suldaanka, who was talking about tribalism!!! Please don’t spoil the thread

I guess the topic was “My Favourite Somali everâ€.

bilan   

Originally posted by Suldaaanka:

This is what his longtime righthand man Ismacil Mire, who defected after witnessing how mad this mullah was, had to say at the demise of this old bloodsucker.

Waa lagu digtaa ruux haduu kuu darnaan jire

BAL DAYAAY WADAADKI WAKAA SII DABAYSHADEE

just for the correction,gabayga waxaa tiriyey cali-dhuux(sayid's long time enemy), ismail mire never defected.

while i do not agree many things that sayid did,such as killing innocent people because their clan did not support darawish,yet he can not be compared to those who accepted to be slaved by europeans/ethiopians. he had noble cause and only someone who has other hidden agenda will deny his effort to liberate somalis.