Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

'stage' fright

FearFactor.aspx

Does anyone else here have problems with public speaking...what tips do you have to stay calm and collected during presentation?

I don't think I'll ever get over this....SO ANNOYING. GRR.

Look into the audience, and think of a funny joke your friend told you. It always works for me, but the downside to it is tha teach ends up thinking I'm crazy cuz I end up laughing at the audience.

I once read somewhere that stage freight is the number 1 phobia most cited by people. Don't understand why. Based on my limited experience, I feel more comfortable speaking in front of hundreds of ppl I don't know than I do speaking in front of 1 or 2 people.

I really respect parliamentarians who not only have to speak before 10s of thousands of people as their speeches/debates are televised but also have to put up with hecklers and other distractions.

underdog   

Fear of public speaking stems from a slight lack of confidence not in yourself but in the presentation you're about to give.

If you rushed your content or you have all the info but you didn't take the time to put it together well, you'll always run into stage fright.

So the best and most impressive way to over come it is to know your stuff, inside out, front to back (not just memorized but understood). Then DO NOT have sheets of paper at the podium - Have ONE card in hand that has the main ideas (the rest comes from you because you're now and authority on the matter).

Also have a clicky pen in the other hand (empty hands tend to have a mind of their own) the last thing you want to do is touch any part of your face/ear/chin.

Don't stand behind the podium, card in one hand pen in the other, start of beside the podium and move around, it will change your scenery and you can focus on different people.

After every section ask the audience if the have questions, this makes it more interactive and saves you from the flurry of questions at the end.

Bottom line, if you don't know what you're taking about, you're screwed! So just Breathe.

NGONGE   

I could give you lots of advice on this subject and I am sure it will be helpful for most people. But, for you? Hmmm. I don't really know. I always get the feeling that you have a voice like that of a dead pigeon. All the presentation techniques in the world could not fix such a problem. Try shouting at yourself in the mirror, dear.

Malika   

Ngonge!!!

As a brother advice,make sure your confident with the topic your presenting,throw in some humour,imagine they are all naked etc etc..

Above all be calm,collective and a bullet pointed card just to draw yourself back to the topic if you had wondered off the subject.

good luck!

NGONGE   

^^ Don't exclaim at me, woman. I have never been nice to Andromeda. If I start being nice to her now she'll think I'm after a loan or something.

Anyway, if she speaks as well as she writes, I don't think she'll have any problems.

ps

I've just had it confirmed in PM that she indeed sounds like a dead pigeon (Thanks Val) :D