Sign in to follow this  
Fabregas

I say my Qabil has fought harder for my families'

Ms DD   

^^ and you suppose that you speak for them?

The only time I will need my qabiil is markey mag iga bixinaayaan.

Castro   

Originally posted by Ebyan:

I spoke too soon. It seems like the pseudo-intellectuals on this forum have freed themselves from the mental shackles of qabil. My comments still ring true for the average Somali.

No list, eh? I thought so.

-Lily-   

I guess your level of ‘qabiilnimo’ depends on what you have experienced during the war, what you have seen and done. I find bitter ppl who have lost many family members to certain conflicts are most qabil orientated.

Most of us can agree that sharing a qabil with a hundred thousand others or so does not automatically endear them to us, even then some will look for sub-clan branches and to those who are closer to them within that larger group. Faith, respect, trust, friendship and blood ties always trump qabil. As far as I am concerned any one of us could just as easily have been born into the ‘enemy’ tribes of X or Y.

Ebyan, yes I do consider myself 'freed' not that I was ever imprisoned. Qabil has done nothing for me, ehelkada are the ones that have done stuff for you, they just mostly happen to be from the same tribe.

Ebyan   

Ms D&D;

I think most people on this thread are being fake, so, yes I represent the average Somalis take on this subject. smile.gif

Castro;

Maybe if you quit with the condescending tone I'd take you more seriously. :rolleyes:

Lily;

You're not even in the least bit clannishly-inclined? I guess you're not Somali.

Ms DD   

My dear Paragon lol...I am sure the above question will have a point?

I have seen a lady who was raped in Muqdishu and she blamed on one particular clan for the crime of one rapist. Anyhow, this lady got to know a neighbour who was very helpful in taking her kids to school, do shopping etc etc. After few months, she found out the clan of this neighbour...you can imagine what happened

Castro   

^^^ And what does this little fable prove, Ms. Dheylo?

Ebyan, done. And it wasn't condescending, it was insolent. ;)

Paragon   

^^Yes, Ms D&D, a very good point lol.

You know parents are so fond of familiarity and however 'freed' we might feel about our qabiil, according to them, a nice girl or boy whose family and ab iyo isir is known spells a good marriage prospects. What is strange is how they make youngsters fall for their choices: the ultimatum; Duco ama Habaar mid dooro? :D And you know which one many would choose.

-Lily-   

The person who wrote this probably confused his folks helping him/her out with qabil, when you are in need is usually your family, extended family, distant relatives and maybe your neighbours who help you out. This is our culture. There is a strong possibility that most of your family would consist of one tribe. This shouldn’t be overlooked or confused with clanisim. Only a sick person would favour someone over another purely for clan reasons.

Ebyan , I like to think NOT. And believe it or not there are many many people out there who are not clannish inclined, for you to say they are fakes is equally condescending. That all Somalis are ‘qabilists’ is an overused excuse to continue discriminating. My tribe is just a fact, it does not go beyond that, it is not more special or worthy than the next.

p.s Paragon I would refuse, I am a strong campaigner against too much 'reerka' intermarrying. I say go out, the further away from one's tribe the better. Unless that is he was drop dead gorg , then that would be a bit of a dilemma :D

Ms DD   

Good point indeed. But it really doesnt matter what clan the son is so long as he is known abka ab. My dad would have a problem with the clan of my hubby if he hadnt known his dad since my dad was a kid.

Duco iyo habaar...habaarkaas makacaa when the marriage wont be valid Islamically?

Ms DD   

I couldnt have put it better Lily.

At the risk of generalising, is one more qabiiliste if other clans arent mixed within his/her family? Maybe Abyan's family is from one clan.

Jacpher   

For example, if you ever went to a tribe's school or after-school tutoring program, that would count as an item. If you've ever been to a homeless shelter run strictly by and for your tribesmen, that too would count as an item. A medical clinic run by your tribe's doctors for the benefit of your sick tribesmen. Got a loan from your tribe's bank or credit union that specializes in making small business loans and home mortgages to members of your tribe. You get the idea.

LOL! Igaarta ka aayar macalinka.

Historically, laga yaabo inuu qabiilka dadka wax tari jiray but since the civil war, it did more damage to Somali individuals. Thousands of innocents were simply targeted for crimes they were never part of or knew took place. I don't know how one could identify more with a clan than the country of birth. Qabiil was utilized to divide the country and turned neighbors into land mine territories, friends into enemies and peaceful towns into hostile cities.