Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Best and Worst Somali restaurants!

Nice Thread! Havent been to any Somali restaurants except Oceans at Haringey, and quite honestly, I dont see what da buzzing excitement is all about. The menu is limited, the place definitely could use more lighting (altho I noticed xalimoos like gulping in the dark :D ) and there are just a couple of waiters on standby at anytime.

er..

BUT... the little food that they serve is nice I guess..

*trying to avoid being seen as negetive*

Jumatatu   

^^^^ever since the previous encounter I was thinking of one to take you to...hence could you expand more on your preferences

Originally posted by Amaanimeenah:

Looks like am going to have to represent Britain....

Blue Ocean (North London)

Clean, beautiful food (and trust me, I'm fussy with my food). Nice atmosphere, friendly service... and very female friendly.

Blue Ocean (West London)

As above, but not as nice... well, it is in the West.

Iman(North London)

Very, very beautiful. Is slowly evolving into a Farah only venture...
:(

the rest are for booga caydha typ of faarax's...it's bad enough walking by...

Xamdi T.dot
= over rated.

Dry bariis with fried drumsticks.. need i say more?

Everybody is talking about this Xamdi restaurant in the tdot I haven't been to even this London girl huh

There is this nice Somali restaurant in Boston I forgot the name of it..thats probably the best Somali restaurant I been to

Miriam1   

^its worth your dollars.

Hum..Dry rice?..possibly but the Cook is a person after all..we all have bad days...?..what i love about it, is its enviroment..very freindly..very cozy.

Hamarweyne.for the mango milkshakes, sweets and good burgers.

Originally posted by Jumatatu:

^^^^ever since the previous encounter I was thinking of one to take you to...hence could you expand more on your preferences

You want to take me to a Somali restaurant? But why? :confused:

Abwaan   

When one needs to comment on Somali restaurants it will depend on what corner he/she wants to look into; food, service, location and so on.

I think I can comment about many Somali restaurants around the globe except those in North America and Australia although my observation will mainly be based on the ones in UK. When I came across this topic it reminded me of something that I have experienced in many Somali restaurants, which is when you order a steak and the waiter gets the message of "there is none left" from the chef he will come back with this news "Isteegii waa dhammaaday, suqaar baan kaaga dhigay saaxiib". Wax yar kelmeddaasi dhegahayga kuma soo dhicin runtii, xitaa haddii lagu dhaho makaaga dhigaa waaba fiicnaan lahayd.

Anyway, I think that the Equatore, Blue Ocean and Ecean restaurants provide good services for us Londonners and I should mention here the no 1 London chef is certainly the co-owner and chef of Blue Ocean Restaurant in Shepherds Bush.

king_450   

Alas! well those of you who live in Mn ,please go to the same restaurant where mr Josh mentioned and ask about the waiter to bring the best food they have. Then tell us what happens i bet you will get a boil of rice or spaghette and whole lot of bones. You see somalis treat well non-somalis and it is for fact,so why elaborate this man's story when we know for fact we can't even stay on line and and wait till served,but the somali waiters always have this sort of hey my buddy is in the house let me find good dish,and if are not known in that hut you will be fed the left over. So please either one of you who live in Mn try and let's hear about the result, i am very much interested in knowing.

Sophist   

For London People,

The best Somali restaurant has to be Tayo. This places oozes with Soomalinimo. There are no waiters, you have to get your food from the counter where you can see your meat; you can choose which meat you want to be served. If you are not happy, then you can happily leave for waiters have no time.

It is not just the meal, a journey to have a meal changes into delightful Somali experience; where everyone tucks in with their bare hands, no spoons no forks and definetly no table cloth to speak of.

Tayo provides dinning in Somali way. It is located between White Chapel and Stepney Green, opposite the Somali mosque Al-Huda.

Great place to eat if you interested in Somali way of dinning.

Nabad.

PS: No women allowed; full of Cabdulaahi's

Londoners (specially Jumatatu)

More questions about the somali restaurant in harlesden am afraid.

Does anyone know the address by any chance? To be more specific, is it on Harrow Road?

Its just that I have recently started a new job in Wembley and my colleagues have a policy of going out for lunch twice every month, with a different person choosing the restaurant each time. It happens to be my turn next week...and am suppose to take them to a somali one (Yikes!).

Ideally I would have preferred to stick to the places I know, i.e. the Ocean branches in Haringey or Shepherd's Bush, but they are too far away for a lunch-time outing.

So, I am stuck with Wembley. I know there are lots of places to eat somali food, but most seem to be plain ugly makhaayado, I havent seen any proper restaurants yet. Either way, I need to check out any appropriate places before I actually take them there.

Any help?

Any Wembley/Harlesden/Stonebridge/Alperton residents in here? What the hell..let's make it the whole of London Borough of Brent.

If you guys can't help, I will be forced to sit through another spicy indian nightmare. Please don't let me... :(

N.O.R.F   

Phanta

Dont put yourself through taking your freinds to a Somali joint. Just think of the looks you will get from the 'enlightened' ppl in the restaurant :rolleyes: . The usual 'kuwana maanta yaa wadha'? will be heard as soon as each farax walks in hoping to get the latest lowdown from the BBC, or watch the live football game via an illegal satelite transmission :D . Do yourself a favour and jump on the metropolitan or jubilee and make your way to Edgware Road then pretend your an Arab for the evening.

^^ Wise words.

I suggest the lebanese restaurant we went to last year after the SL day. Delight in some Khubus with Hommos/fatush followed by shish kebab and hopefully this should put you in good light with the co-workers. :cool: