1. Liberation of Somaliland from Mogadishu's dictatorship

2. Return of Somaliland refugees from Ethiopian Refugee camps

3. Peace Conferences and Rebuilding of Governance and rule of law

4. Rebuilding of economy and infrastructure 

5. Welcoming of Somaliland citizens fleeing Mogadishu

etc etc

What 1991 means for Somalia:

1. Collapse of Government and start of civilwar

2. Start of Refugee life in Dadaab, Kakuma just to name a few in Kenya.

3. Death and destruction of epic scale

4. The root of all problems from Warlords, Terrorism, Piracy

galbeedi   
6 hours ago, Suldaanka said:

What 1991 means for Somaliland:

1. Liberation of Somaliland from Mogadishu's dictatorship

2. Return of Somaliland refugees from Ethiopian Refugee camps

3. Peace Conferences and Rebuilding of Governance and rule of law

4. Rebuilding of economy and infrastructure 

5. Welcoming of Somaliland citizens fleeing Mogadishu

etc etc

I am too old for this , but I have to keep correcting the record and save some of these kids being brain washed.

What did happen in the north in 1991 and after.

1-Tribal war was raging in the coast.

2- late 1991 and early 1992, tribal war was going on in Berbera and Hargeisa,

3-C/raxman Tuur the SNM president was stopped in the middle of Hargeisa and his car          was taken by militia.

4- Bombs, guns and mortars were flying within and most of the city was destroyed by                   tribal  militia.

5-AWdal elders went to Berbera, Hargeisa and Burco to reconcile the Waring Habro tribes.

6-Borama conference was hels in 1993. 

7- The tribal started again in 1994.

8- Burco was destroyed and refugees left the city and formed another town called Yiroowe.

9- Militia belonging to our own Suldaan occupied the airport and refused to give back to       Cigaal administration.

10- a war to take back the airport begun and destroyed south Hargeisa.

This are the few things that took place after 1991.

Now I shall retire.

galbeedi   

In 1991 Djibouti conference elected Cali Mahdi.

In fact, after Caydiid and Cali Mahdi reconciled in late 1992 things were calming down before America intervened which targeted the most eligible man to lead Mohamed F. Caudiid.

By 1994 when a war was ragging in the north, there were conferences and other constitutional moves to establish government. 

While everyone was talking about warlords in the nineties , trade and people moved from coast to coast.

Before the Wahabi elements were introduced in Gedo in 1997, Southern Somalia was semi stable while tribal wars were raging in the North from 1994-1996.

Galbeedi

We know you carry an oversized magnifying glass when looking at Somaliland. It is very true to this day as it was decades ago. So it is no surprise to me, at least. I expected it. 

It is same reasons why two jufo-fighting in Ceel Afwayne hits all the headlines and why detractors like yourself waste no minutes to start predicting doomsday scenarios and drool over end of times.

All whilst turning a blind eye to the real issues. I mean, where else will the death of 500 people and the wounding of thousands doesn't even register the headline? Go figure!!!

So, from tha prespective, I understand how you want to highlight a small incident here and another incident there and stitch together a story which feeds your evil thoughts so you can find some sort of solace from it.

Now coming back to your list of events, if you combined all those things you have just mentioned, they do not stack up to what happened in Mogadishu for 1 single week, let alone over the course of a 30 years. It is just the truth. You can slow-motion the events in Somaliland anlayse all you want but the truth remains and facts are facts.

I will come back for more after work... 

galbeedi   

I am not denying the peace building efforts of Somaliland. For me Ceel Afweyn is an orchestrated tribal and political war, yet as you said , it is very small in scale of things. Southern Somalia is much bigger not only in terms of population and  geography, but also  large mix of tribes while in the north there are three or four groups.

Also, what is at stake in Mogadishi and Somalia is much bigger in the eyes of the world and Somalia around the world and the region.. That doesn't mean Somaliland is insignificant , but stable Mogadishu will mean the conclusion of of the past.That is why America intervened in Mogadishu and not Hargeisa. 

The problems of the south is exasperated by Wahabi and religious politics combined by the schemes of our neighbors, the gulf boys and the west. It is the combinations of many things.

Yet, I do believe most of the blame should go to the southern leaders who can not srr the big picture and make tough decisions.

@galbeedi

So coming back, you have listed a number of events which stretch from 1991 until 1996. These events are not joined or continuous as you would loved to portray them. They are discrete and in most cases do not relate to each other. 

I will leave fact checking for TRO AJT above.

But I am coming back to gist of this post, which is about what the year 1991 signifies for Somaliland vs Somalia. 

For Somaliland, 1991 signifies the end of a dark era and start of new chapter.

From military front, it signifies when the SNM forces fully captured what used to be known as 'North Somalia' and defeated the facist bloodsucking dictator.

From the political front, it signifies an era of reconciliation between warring clans, peace building, and declaration of Independence, and embarking on a long journey of nation building. 

For the people, it signifies an era of returning from Refugee camps, start of rebuilding the shuttered lives and livelihoods, and looking forward to a hopeful brighter future. . 

We are not denying that there were hiccups and pitfalls and tough testing moments, but the overall spirit of those years was one of positive. 

1. Organising of mulitiple peace conference from corner to corner from Sanaag to Awdal and in between. 

2. Peaceful elections/selection of Parliament and President/VP President.   

3. Demobilisation and disarmament of clan melitia 

4. Printing of Somaliland Currency 

5. Opening up of major road networks including Demining of roads, removing of clan melitias checkpoint

6. Creation of Police force and National Army

etc etc

All of those things were established between 1991 and 1996. And each one of them is a huge task in itself. 

Just so you can put this into perspective, Puntland who has been relatively peaceful when compared to South Somalia, is still not demobilised its clan melitia. There are bigwigs who have their own clan melitia inside major towns. 

From 1996 upto now, there has been uninterrupted peace and development. Which is why Somaliland is able to withstand a major political upheaval such as the recent presidential election which has left people divided and politics in loggerhead. And it is the same reason why Somaliland gov't guarantees peace and security from corner to corner in all areas under its authority. 

Ok, now coming back to what the year 1991 means for Ex-Italian Somalia. 

There is a famous phrase in South Somalia which goes '91kii aa loo noqo ha". This is a phrase which captures both the horror and the ordinariness of violence which grimmed South Somalia upto this day.

It is a phrase that is meant to instill fear, evoke emotion and most horridly used as a political 'ploy' when necessary. 

@galbeedi

I am friends with South D!r community here in Melbourne, some of whom are related to Professor Ibbi etc. They tell me the horrors in Banadir area as well as riverine regions. Upto this day, their farmlands are occupied and their villages burnt down or fully uprooted the original inhabitants. 

The old saying goes 'you don't know what you've got, til it is gone'. The folks from Awdal should really be thankful that the wise heads prevailed and peace won the day. 

Don't be 'caasi', thank Allah for his 'nimcooyinkiisa' of which 'peace' is at the top. You do not know how much these Southern D!R community would have loved to have enjoyed the same peace and development. 

galbeedi   
12 hours ago, Suldaanka said:

. Organising of mulitiple peace conference from corner to corner from Sanaag to Awdal and in between. 

2. Peaceful elections/selection of Parliament and President/VP President.   

3. Demobilisation and disarmament of clan melitia 

4. Printing of Somaliland Currency 

5. Opening up of major road networks including Demining of roads, removing of clan melitias checkpoint

6. Creation of Police force and National Army

etc etc

All that is true and any decent person should applaud.

1 hour ago, Suldaanka said:

The old saying goes 'you don't know what you've got, til it is gone'. The folks from Awdal should really be thankful that the wise heads prevailed and peace won the day

Compared what is going on many places in Somalia, Awdal is relatively a peaceful place, and we all thank Allah. Certainly the south had went through a lot in the early nineties in bigger scale compared to Somaliland.

Yet, peace is not only the absence of war but a peace of mind. In Somaliland we did better than many, but 30 years is a generation and we must think for the future of the next generation. We need to move to the second stage. 

Mr. Dharbaaxo,

If you want me to take you seriously in this forum , just think a little bit before writing. The world did not star today.. Before jumping what is true or lie, just do a little research. 

It is on the record that C/raxman Tuur Allah Ha u Naxariiste was stripped of his car in the middle of Hargeisa by "Dayday". There were 20 Checkpoints between Hargeisa and Borama. Any way that was the past.

There was no major war inside  Burco in 1991. The only time a war took inside the city was when SNM stormed the city in May 1988. That war lasted less than a week. Most of Burco was destroyed in 1994-96. I will give you one more assignment and check how many people died in that war. 

The 1994-96 was a tribal war. Just as Caydiid refused Cali Mahdi been selected, Mr. Tuur disagreed and his supporters were accused of disloyalty and the war raged on.on until reconciliation ended. No one is denying the reconciliation efforts of the Somaliland Guurti that created the system and saved many lives.

If you can not accept that Mr. Tuur was violated then we have nothing to discuss . 

@Timacadde

There was one incident which took place at the Presidential Palace where by Axmed Dhagax melitias crossed the riverbed one night and drove away President Tuur's personal vehicle. 

It is very important to remember that neither President Tuur nor his Vice President had heavy security detail at their residence. Save a body guard or two. The President and VP were lived like any other citizen without the fanfare of armed melitia flanking the shoulders.The vehicle was returned within few days, and clan elders apologised for the incident. 

Another important thing to remember is that, over the course of 30 years there has not been a single political assassination or even traditional leader assassination in Somaliland. That is a huge feat, which shows even at the height of civil war, there was "lafta gur oo xarago ha ka tegin" which means the political leaders were not targets.