Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Waqooyiga: Waking up to a new reality

I don't know if this is another secessionist waking up from unrealized delusion into a real world.

Somaliland: Waking up to a new reality

A month ago, one of my friends added me to a group on WhatsApp created by people originally from the Northern Somali provinces discussing how to save Somaliland from its current downfall. Listening to these nice fellows, I could feel the pain some were feeling knowing the end of an imagined Republic of Somaliland independent from the rest of Somalia. 

Our group was heavily populated by **** **** clan members, as one should expect because of the current discontent in that region, but I suspected some active participants to be from other clans because of their accent, their choice of words and their emphasis on key issues. However, most of them were genuine in their beliefs and were either disgruntled, disappointed or in denials of the current regional upheaval. 

I concede it is awful to be indoctrinated for many decades about the Northerners exceptionalism and other simplistic myths and one day realise it was just wishful thinking.

The core myth abundantly circulated by the Hargeysa elite is that the 1960 union of the former British Somaliland with the newly liberated Italian occupied Somalia, now deemed culturally incompatible, led to an unhealthy relationship and therefore the 1991 recovery (hear separatism) of a long lost independence was the obvious solution. 

Other myth propagated, in the last 29 years, by the self proclaimed Republic of Somaliland was that the Somali National Movement (SNM), who unleashed a terror in the 1980’s, with the Ethiopian army’s assistance, was merely saving the **** clan from the Somali Democratic Republic’s genocidal intent. The word extermination was even uttered notably by opposition leader Faysal Ali Waraabe. 

There was also a long list of other myths whose only purpose was to sow the seeds of hatred and cement this hatred to make a future reconciliation with the rest of Somalia an impossible mission.

As long as the South, defined as a distinct undifferentiated whole, was in turmoil and a central government was inexistent, it gave a terrain to sustain the myth of incompatibility of the two regions and the likelihood of Somaliland’s international recognition as a separate state. 

Every elected administration in Hargeysa entertained the possibility of a near international recognition and it is still on the agenda, even though this perspective looks more like a mirage now. 

This online gathering of emotionally distressed people originally from the Northern regions of Somalia happened in a sobering up moment. The current administration under Musa Bihi became the most divisive, inept and the most derided administration since Somaliland declared its independence in 1991. Moreover, the call of further secessions of some regions in Somaliland, coupled with a new wind of change blowing in the Horn of Africa, has started a questioning of all the myths propagated by the SNM’s old guards, anxious to safeguard their privileges and plunder of the meagre national resources. 

In fact, the new Ethiopian policy to lowering tensions in the region and a renewed favourable international attention towards the central government in Mogadishu led by the shrewd Abdullahi Farmajo have offered an alternative to all the repressed opposition to the separatism. 

While some clearly wonder if Somaliland will ever be an independent country and even despair of this elusive recognition, others feel lost in the changes taking place in the region and in the mediocrity of the Bihi administration dealing with these changes. You may then understand the anxiety born of these events and in particular of the recent meetings between Farmajo and Bihi. 

Even though I believe it would seem a daunting task to reverse course for Somaliland or even too late to save its future as an independent state, I do still believe that there’s a slight chance it may survive the current upheaval in the region with some radical but smart political manoeuvrings. 

Since its inception, there were so many missed opportunities to show the world its worth. The breakaway region had plenty of time, almost 30 years, to show the world that not only its democracy, peace and good governance are unshakable but that its leaders have the flexibility to deal with the rest of Somalia about its aspirations. 

Unfortunately, every time there was an elected president, the Hargeysa elite, and the president’s inner circle on top, was scrambling to enrich themselves. Somaliland had an opportunity to capitalize in the peace found after the collapse of the Democratic Republic but instead wasted it.

Successive administrations have had no credible plans, or will, to reign on clan based political infightings, the widespread corruption, the uncontrolled inflation, land grabs, the plundering of the natural resources, the raise of poverty, human rights abuses, the dysfunction of the judicial system and growing discontents and palpable unrest in Awdal, Togdheer, Sool and Sanaag regions. In short, the count down of an implosion is in set in motion. 

There’s no wonder some “Somalilanders”, as they call the population from that region, are in admiration of the current Farmajo government’s discipline and view a possible reunification as a better alternative to the squandering of public funds by their administration. Others even see the current military achievements as reminiscent of the time Somalia was at its height of its glory. 

With this in the background, it was expected the Somaliland administration has no other choice but to accept a direct negotiation with Mogadishu and, in spite of the SNM old guard rhetoric’s, a public consultation would be unavoidable to mitigate a severe backlash from a public indoctrinated for so long in the simple and distressing concept that the “North” is a victim and the “South” is a murderous mess.

Xigasho

4 hours ago, Apophis said:

If you translate it for him into af-garam garam maybe he can “read” it.

Here comes gaalkii Rabigiisa ku caasiyeeyey.Who did you worship today? Lacag? Madoobe? Kuwii atheist kaa dhigay?

Adduun iyo aakhiraba waa seegtay, neef iska nool.

12 hours ago, Apophis said:

That’s the least he is guilty of. Read his previous posts. He used to advocate for Alshabab attacks against sheikh shariff's government and celebrate when they happened. Him and another creature called Che.

He is a nasty piece of work.

Why are blatantly lying, atheist Rabigiis ku caasiyeeyey? All over the SOL archive is me against the rise of Maxkamadaha and kuwii ku hoos jiray sida Barbaarta from 2006.

I know Eebbe ma aaminsanid and lies are nothing but simple words for you, but you cannot fool none.

17 hours ago, TRO - AJT said:

@Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar, let me quote one of your Golden rules to you, since you seem to have misplaced them.

"7 - Flaming: absolutely no personal attacks (direct or indirect). Criticize ideas, not people. Flaming will not be tolerated in any way. This includes any material which is vulgar, profane, defamatory, harassing, hateful, threatening, invading of others privacy, sexually oriented, or violates any laws."

I find you guilty of all the bolded charges!

He IS an atheist diintiisa ka baxay. If the dude has a problem with atheism then the dude should not have became one. Taas Rabigiis abuurtay ha u sheego. As long as he is atheist, he should not comment anything that heppens in Soomaaliya and about Soomaali people. Diintii ku caasiyeeyey marka amaan ha siiyo a country that is 100% Muslim. And Soomaalis on here have a right to know his atheism, for the dude cannot fool none.

P.S. - Don't pretend to be someone that is new here as well. You are very well aware his aflagaado against me on here.

1 minute ago, TRO - AJT said:

I've been on here for about a few months now, but I have no idea what has gone on between you.

Beyond that, your OWN golden rule is that you should criticize people's ideas, not people. I think it would be good for a moderator to follow their own rule, but that's just me.

Asagaa meeshaan la soo galay aflagaado. You can read his cheap shots on above and endless others, but obviously you wanted to ignore that. Eniwey, I have no time for this atheist as I ignore most of qashinka uu qoro.

2 hours ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

P.S. - Don't pretend to be someone that is new here as well. You are very well aware his aflagaado against me on here.

Like you I immediately got him, he is fake,with new shirt, he is one of ones you have cleaned from here, that is why I have not responded to him

Apophis is an ancient Egyptian diety, is that a clue that he is proud of being gaal. He hijacked this threat by insulting the Somali language Af-may as a rebuke to MMA thread. He has nothing to contribute in SOL expect one liner insults of entire people  that makes discussion impossible. I suggest don't help him in his constant denigration of SOL discussions. 

48 minutes ago, Peace Action said:

Apophis is an ancient Egyptian diety, is that a clue that he is proud of being gaal. He hijacked this threat by insulting the Somali language Af-may as a rebuke to MMA thread. He has nothing to contribute in SOL expect one liner insults of entire people  that makes discussion impossible. I suggest don't help him in his constant denigration of SOL discussions. 

To top it off he is a flaming Kikuyu faggot...lol 😂

Wuxuu, Apophis, isku darsadey  doqonnimo, lagaroonenimo iyo gaalnimo. 

He is an anathema to everything Somal, and he has never contributed anything of value to the discussions that take place on this forum.

In short, he is a piece of shit that deserves to be flushed.

3 hours ago, Apophis said:

You keep repeating this false “gay” thing which makes me think this is an issue weighting heavily on your mind.

I know you live in the gayest country on the planet but get a grip on yourself.

ps: Apophis is a name of a rock in space.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

We know that you are a dumbass kikuyu fruitcake. You can come in here and pretend to hail from Jubaland, Somalia— all you like, but your kikuyu deviancy, irreligiosity and stupidity are evident in everything you have penned on SOL over the years.

Now go eff yourself and never again let me see you on SOL shaking your booty looking for attention, dipshit!

3 hours ago, TRO - AJT said:

1. I dont engage in takfir - if someone says they're an atheist, then that's one thing. However, I'm not going to accuse someone of being an atheist, kafir or non-believer, if they don't profess to be one.

2. I have found every one of the anti-Somalilanders in this thread to be nothing but hypocrites and slander merchants. They are constantly attacking others and running with silly gossip and rumours, with no credible sources backing anything they say up. So excuse me for not instantly coming to their defence.

1. He does not deny he is gaal, why?. Let him state he is a muslim believer and then I will admit I am wrong. Otherwise he is free to be gaal, it is between him and Allah. 

2. You are new here so you don't know  much of secessionsts insults. Stick around and you will see the mother of insults from your neck of the woods. Pot meet kettle.

Mr X   

Wow. Everyone calm down and why is the moderator not enforcing the forum rules to stop the back and forth personal attacks?

7 - Flaming: absolutely no personal attacks (direct or indirect). Criticize ideas, not people. Flaming will not be tolerated in any way. This includes any material which is vulgar, profane, defamatory, harassing, hateful, threatening, invading of others privacy, sexually oriented, or violates any laws.