Sign in to follow this  
Chocolate and Honey

The Art of loving yourself

nuune   

^^ I found those people who read books to be the greatest of GEEKS of all times, give me a book, and I would read the back page, which gives me what the book is all about, that little review is enough for me.

PS: I like how the topic deviated from its original manuscript smile.gif

OH NO Blessed. Kaa xanaaqo? Never. You are as sweet as butter! Some self-help books I cant handle specially, the new age-y stuff about the Universe and stuff! So I hear you. I'm still with my group of besties from childhood. I was reflecting on that the other night. I havent made a single new friend since I hit 18. I tend to be shy and hate confrontations and dramas. LOL!

Nuune,

Dont all topics on SOL deviate? LOL!

Originally posted by chocolate & honey:

I'm into personal devolopment and growth nowdays.
smile.gif
I read all sorts of books. So most of the books I read so far deal with human emotions. Several focus on deep seated fears and anxiety about being alone(NOTE: NOT LONELY BUT ALONE). The author says, we are born ALONE and we leave this world ALONE and this simple fact causes us tremendous pain since we dont know where we will end up. Therefore, we latch on to other people, bad habits and false hopes because of this fear of being alone.

One of the books has an exercise where the reader is challanged to treat themselves to a day or a night out. Just by yourself.

So my question is do you take yourself out? And do you enjoy it when you're out on your own?

So far I can only treat myself to a coffee at a bookstore. I cant bring myself to eat by myself or see a movie by myself.
:(

R u real somali or fake?? lol.. i know that i cant call myself a full 100% somali, but whatever its, if u have a single drop of somali blood...

then its impossible to do that! i rather treat 10 african homeless ones when i go to my neighborhood cafee. If i get my 2 meals a day, then rest should go to a another human who less fortunate today.

you might try to live with your soul, but you cant make it happy! even when rich or poor.

Cara.   

To go off on yet another tangent :D I always wonder about this self-esteem obsession of modern life. Is it so bad to have a bad opinion of yourself? Like, there are plenty of people YOU don't like right? What if you just happen to be one of those people? Maybe your sense of humor is irritating, you cheat on exams, you are a lazy bum. Isn't it a realistic self-assessment to decide that you are a crappy person?

Knowing that there are nice people and not-so-nice people, while at the same time insisting everyone think well of themselves is mind boggling. Do you want George W. Bush to have a healthy self-esteem? How about that woman suing you for emotional distress because you called her a petty cow?

*Gives self disgusted look in mirror*

Haatu   

C&H, sure all the time. I go jogging alone in the evenings, I swim alone, I go gym alone most of the times and I sometimes eat alone. But what I can't stand is going cinema alone or going cafe alone. It just feels weird.

LOL@Cara. Good question! Even though I would argue that NO ONE thinks badly of themselves; they're merely reflecting on what they think others think of them. This preoccupation with SELF reminds me of a quote(i dont remember who) that said "when every need of the need of the body is met, we're left to battle a host of psychological ailments."

Ps.. George W. Bush has a healthy self-esteem, how else could he have run a whole country to the ground confidently?

haatu

Do you enjoy your 'Me' time? All those things you've mentioned are fine, but we're talking about doing social things on your own. So you're still uncomfortable being a lone? :D

Originally posted by Cara.:

To go off on yet another tangent
:D
I always wonder about this self-esteem obsession of modern life. Is it so bad to have a bad opinion of yourself? Like, there are plenty of people YOU don't like right? What if you just happen to be one of those people? Maybe your sense of humor is irritating, you cheat on exams, you are a lazy bum. Isn't it a realistic self-assessment to decide that you are a crappy person?

Knowing that there are nice people and not-so-nice people, while at the same time insisting everyone think well of themselves is mind boggling. Do you want George W. Bush to have a healthy self-esteem? How about that woman suing you for emotional distress because you called her a petty cow?

*Gives self disgusted look in mirror*

Ha Ha. That is a very good assesment.L0L :D

I didnt call her an UGLY cow,Just a fat UGLY cow. icon_razz.gif

Oh! I used to love working out with my friends. We are competitive. We used to push each other. But then after we are done, it takes forever for them to get out of there, which made the gym a whole afternoon affair, which made me tired. So now, I go on my own and it is so peaceful. I love it.

Cara.   

FB, at least I got one thing right :(

C&H, I just think self-loathing is underrated nowadays. I'm going to write a self-help book about it in fact:

"If You Are Seeing A Movie Alone You Know It's because Nobody Wants to Hang Out With You, You Mouth-Breathing Imbecile: And Other Ways to Overcome Crippling Confidence".

^^ meanies smile.gif

spending time alone rules. in another life I would make a very good monk, or hermit. being a somali though, and wanting to spend time alone is a curse!