Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

Reality check anyone?

SeeKer   

We all have aspirations and illusions of grandeur. Normally while sipping something or zoning out as the professor drones, we are enraptured by the future “us†as they live their life like it was ordained by the good lord of pride and wealth. Whimsical as it may seem for some of you I love listening to others foretelling their future great deeds to humanity. What I doubt though is the resolve to realize these so called futures.

We’ve all heard it before one time or another. “When I am done with school I am going back to *insert homeland* to help my people.†says he/she in a solemn voice. “Really? Will you? becomes my answer.

The intention is there but will it be nourished till it reaches its full potential or will greed, wealth, luxury win out in the end. Africa holds none of the comfort the west provides. There you deal with ignorant and weak minded people who can barely understand how the world rotates (or so we think). Furthermore by the time you graduate you have school loans to pay back and maybe the girl of your dreams in your life. You want to start your life and provide her with everything she desires. After a while or NOT you get little clones of you running around your feet. You look at them and want them to have a better childhood than you did (again open to interpretation). The best of everything which includes school, books, electronic gadgets and off course those hip gears you once cherished. No not yet time to go. By the time they graduate and leave your home it will be too late for you to go back to your homeland. You will be old and your grandchildren will be vying for your attention. WOW. You never did go back and help your people. The temporary land that you used to complain about now is permanent.

What say you my friends? Are you nourishing your illusions or are you living in disillusionment?

I have dreamed a dream but now that dream has gone from me

Hello Seeker,

I know exactly what you mean. Young people often have grand dreams of changing the world for the better, doing their bit for humanity...etcetera. Our teens and early 20s are the most idealistic of ages, when our hearts and thoughts are free of cynicism and drip with clarity. When everything is either black or white. Right or wrong. When no grey areas exist.

But then the tedium of reality sets in. Disillusionment and despair quickly follow at the realisation that the world cannot be saved. It refuses to be saved! They find that they don’t have the time or energy to do their bit for humanity after all. Not when the ground has already been dug out for them in preperation for their inevitable fall. Not when they need to earn a living to pay back debts. Not when endless bills await!

How easy it is to let go of your aspirations and hope when you’re stuck in an awfully deep rut. There is little chance of a life more than ordinary. No other choice but to resign yourself to the doldrums of domesticity and the routine of the godforsaken rat race.

But then there are the determined few who realise their dreams and ambitions through unflinching, dogged pursuit. You really can't help but admire them for they are the ones who make the world go round.

I wish I was one of them.

N.O.R.F   

The illussions of saving ones country and bringing it back from the brink is a false one in the first place. This is realised later on in life. Now who in the right mind would pack up and go home with his/her family with the aim of transforming Somalia into a 'better' country than it is now. However, one needs to realise that small objective rather than 'grand designs' are very much possible. Example being visiting ones home city/village on a fact finding mission of possible schemes that can be arranged for the local people. You can easily sponsor a school or hospital through a charity based in which ver country you reside in. Organisation skills will come into play. Therefore, i conclude that smaller measures are possible but i doubt the majority will even be able to establish such chairty let alone finance a school for a lick of paint, some chairs and tables or books.

So you see if we all did this then the grand design can become a reality.

Castro   

I have no illusions about Somalia. It will not be fixed in my lifetime, therefore, I shall be buried either in south Texas or hopefully in the Carribean or South America somewhere.

Shirwac   

Many have gone back to their homelands and acted upon what was in their hearts when they started school. Thanks to globalization you can reside in more than one country.

Growing up sucks!

‘Reality check’ pretty much sums up what happens to us as we grow up. From being youthful, energetic and theoretically able to conquer the world, we enter the real practical scene, only to realize that we are at the bottom… and if all the people over us cant change much… its highly unlikely we will.

SeeKer   

Originally posted by Curling Waterfall:

and if all the people over us cant change much… its highly unlikely we will.

I thought we outgrew the era of following the sheep over the cliff? Thats a huge generalization its almost like saying if a father is a wife beater then the son will be a wife beater. Some people hold their destiny in their hands and might fulfill those dreams. My query was that everyone says it and its akin to a knee jerk reaction. When in reality they know deep down they ain't going nowhere :D Isn't it time we just embrace the fact that we are going to be a great addition to the melting pot of immigrants in the west? (At least the majority)

When there is dream there is hope, and dreams are there to be materialised. We should all dream about what we can or cannot attain, Its a knowledge boyong your comprehention of what one achieves in life. Truth is, only if you have dreams, then only can you make it happen.

This is not to say that one's all dreams will be realised but contrary to the topic my point is one shouldn't stop dreaming about the future simply because he may not attain it but absolutely I agree with you that there must be a limit the dreams and should consist attainable goals.

Muhammad   

it is all a matter of focus realy.

do you spend your time expanding your area of influence or enlarging the area of concern. those who manage to break through the barriers are the ones who have mastered the art of focusing on what they can contribute instead of lamenting on their fate and that of the world. don't carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, instead carry your own weight - carry your own response-ability.

Originally posted by Northerner:

The illussions of saving ones country and bringing it back from the brink is a false one in the first place. This is realised later on in life. Now who in the right mind would pack up and go home with his/her family with the aim of transforming Somalia into a 'better' country than it is now. However, one needs to realise that small objective rather than 'grand designs' are very much possible. Example being visiting ones home city/village on a fact finding mission of possible schemes that can be arranged for the local people. You can easily sponsor a school or hospital through a charity based in which ver country you reside in. Organisation skills will come into play. Therefore, i conclude that smaller measures are possible but i doubt the majority will even be able to establish such chairty let alone finance a school for a lick of paint, some chairs and tables or books.

So you see if we all did this then the grand design can become a reality.

Exactly!

Jacpher   

This isn't about telling what dreams you have but in my childhood, I once dreamed of becoming a big Sheikh, Muslim scholar. That dream was scrubbed from reality.

On a serious note, one can achieve his/her dreams given it is foreseeable and doable. Going back home is simply a journey, not a dream but making difference is really a big dream ought to be fulfilled.

I thought we outgrew the era of following the sheep over the cliff? Thats a huge generalization its almost like saying if a father is a wife beater then the son will be a wife beater.

My point wasn’t about following the sheep. More like a realization you single handedly cant go against the grain. Little Waterfall with her 'modern' views and humane ways cannot simply change anything where Somalia is concerned.

Some people hold their destiny in their hands and might fulfill those dreams.

Individual dreams. Yes. Dreams of helping Somalia. Probably not. But then, I’m a chronic pessimist when it comes to Somalia and Somalis.

SeeKer   

I was going to say pessimist but you did it for me. Don't worry we all have to fall somewhere along the spectrum don't we?

Thanks for the replies on it. More bones for me to chew on I suppose.