Sign in to follow this  
Arwa

A sad Image: Photographer who captured it committed suicide!

Yes. I have heard of this some time ago. Brutally painful picture of the reality many people have to face around the world.

Pulitzer_1994.gif

starving.jpg

The image presaged no celebration: a child barely alive, a vulture so eager for carrion. Yet the photograph that epitomized Sudan's famine would win Kevin Carter fame - and hopes for anchoring a career spent hounding the news, free-lancing in war zones, waiting anxiously for assignments amid dire finances, staying in the line of fire for that one great picture.

On May 23, 14 months after capturing that memorable scene, Carter walked up to the dais in the classical rotunda of Columbia University's Low Memorial Library and received the Pulitzer Prize for feature photography.

The South African soaked up the attention. "I swear I got the most applause of anybody," Carter wrote back to his parents in Johannesburg. "I can't wait to show you the trophy. It is the most precious thing, and the highest acknowledgment of my work I could receive."

Two months after receiving his Pulitzer, Carter would be dead of carbon-monoxide poisoning in Johannesburg, a suicide at 33.

His red pickup truck was parked near a small river where he used to play as a child; a green garden hose attached to the vehicle's exhaust funneled the fumes inside.

"I'm really, really sorry," he explained in a note left on the passenger seat beneath a knapsack. "The pain of life overrides the joy to the point that joy does not exist." [...]

"I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings & corpses & anger & pain... of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners... " And then this: "I have gone to join Ken if I am that lucky."

I also heard that he commited suicide because he left the little girl to be eaten by the vulture. I do not know if this is true, but might explain his actions somewhat. Source

Haddad   

Originally posted by 3abeer Elward:

It is said that the photographer who took this picture committed suicide grieved by the photo.

And the point is? Feel sympathy for someone who committed suicide? Under Islam, suicide isn't to be admired, encouraged, feel sympathy for, talk about it as something positive and etc.

The picture was taken in 1994; why the sudden interest and politicizing? Just a few years before the picture was taken, hundreds thousands Somali children perished in similar or worse conditions; where is the interest and politicizing? Because no Arabs were involved in the Somali tragedy?

^^^ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you are wanting to talk about Arabs, I suggest you kindly remove yourself from here. This is not the place or time. Go the appropriate section/thread or vent your frustration to whatever thats eating you. We feel sympathy for the little girl, and who is talking about somalis anyway? What the hell is the obsession in linking the somali plight to every suffering that that goes on in the world? What you just said is one of the most insanely silly things I've ever heard. At no point were you even close to anything that could be considered sensible.

STOIC   

"Self-interest is but the survival of the animal in us. Humanity only begins for man with self-surrender."

~ Henri Frederic Amiel (1821-1881)

***Why do we always have to think in terms of Black & white, Religious& non Religious. I think religion without humanity is a poor self-indulgent stuff!****

Arwa   

3ala resleka ya 7adaad 5a6etni! icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Haddad:

And the point is? Feel sympathy for someone who committed suicide? Under Islam, suicide isn't to be admired, encouraged, feel sympathy for, talk about it as something positive and etc.

[/QB]

If this is how you interpreted what I said then you’re initialed to your own understanding and without further dispute this incident may serve no purpose to you but to others it will.

bilan   

quote:Originally posted by 3abeer Elward:

It is said that the photographer who took this picture committed suicide grieved by the photo.

The picture was taken in 1994; why the sudden interest and politicizing? Just a few years before the picture was taken, hundreds thousands Somali children perished in similar or worse conditions; where is the interest and politicizing? Because no Arabs were involved in the Somali tragedy?
who is talking about arabs,or somalis, did i miss something here :confused: , plus this man was not a muslim FYI there was a lot publicity about great famine in baydhaba,almost every newspaper and TV stations were showing pictures of somalis starving to death,why else do you think united nations sent troops to somlia.

back to the topic, it is really sad, if he actually left her,then it's understandable that he could not live with himself.

Haddad   

Originally posted by bilan:

did i miss something here

Yes. What you have missed is, this is a Somali forum, mostly frequented by Somalis- therefore, priority must be given to Somali issues and news. The picture in question is about Sudan. I have searched the forum for a similar picture about the Baydhabo children who perished in a similar fashion or worse; the result was negative. That's what you have missed.

nuune   

I have searched the forum for a similar picture about the Baydhabo children who perished in a similar fashion or worse; the result was negative.

Haddaad, here is a video for you to watch about the famine in Somalia during 1992.

VIDEO face of Famine

There are countless videos of the famine in Somalia, let alone pictures!

Haddad   

Originally posted by Maskax Dhuuqe:

here is a video for you to watch about the famine in Somalia during 1992.

Thank you for caring.

icon14.gif

juba   

priority must be given to Somali issues and news. The picture in question is about Sudan.

so ur saying that the only issues that face this world should be about somalis? how selfish and egotistical of u! this child was a human being who went through much suffereing and not to far away form Somalia as a matter of fact!

Haddad   

Originally posted by juba:

so ur saying that the only issues that face this world should be about somalis?

No. You got it wrong. What I am so saying is, there is a need to politicize some Somali issues, for the sake of Somalis. Why? Because, most Somalis have buried those issues inside their subconscious. They have reached a stage where mere shaking of those issues from the depth of their subconscious represents a nightmare- hence, frenetically escaping to other issues.

A sad picture in deed, the man who took the picture definatly could not handle the pressure of the terrible reality of Africa.....However I wish he didn't commit suicide he could have found joy by being a icon and doing many things....

Suicide is just an escape for him, but what about the many more kids like that little girl.....But then again I could never know what he felt.

There's nothing wrong in mentioning the famine that happened in Somalia.....It still continues to happen in many places but don't lose sight that Somalia is not the only place affected.

Abayo suicide is wrong in Islam we all know that but this man was not muslim. Some people just feel there's nothing to live for in that kind of situation.....So his way of escaping the pain and memories that haunted him was suicide. I can say it's wrong but I do sympathise with him.

Somalia may have suffered famine and but one thing I notice is that no Somali person ever reached out far enough to get help....Because I saw a documentary on the famine in Ethiopia I think in 1991 and one lady from ethiopia made a difference and got help from many people mostly singers.