Sign in to follow this  
Hassan_B

Benefits of Being a Teacher

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Malika:

quote:Firstly respect is earned,respect your students and they will respect you.

I agree

Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

[qb]
Some students do not respond well to authority

some students only respond to the stick.
icon_razz.giflol...al casaa... saas maahaan. Ubadkii dameeraha sidooda ayaadba ka dhigtee.

BiLaaL   

I'm not a trained teacher. I volunteer at a weekend school for young Somali kids.

Originally posted by Hassan_B:

Those who do well are those who can read and comprehend what they read properly. I feel very sad for the future of our communities and poor inner city children.

Hassan, you've touched on a central issue. Most Somali kids I've taught are quick to grasp concepts in both maths and science. But as you rightly point out, understanding a concept is meaningless if you can't comprehend the wording of a question.

There was actually a fierce debate in my state around this issue. The debate revolved around the phrasing of primary school examinations mainly in maths; with some arguing that the choice of words employed in such exams fails to take into account the often underdeveloped lexicon of young school kids. Of course, kids from non-English speaking backgrounds suffer more (with a few exceptions).

Is any teacher here involved in any efforts to remove illiteracy from our communities

I'd love to hear experiences.

Personally, I believe the best way to overcome illiteracy in our community is to encourage parents to assist their kids at home. I find that too many capable parents don't pay enough attention to the value of sitting down with their children and ensuring that all set homework gets done properly - including set reading.

Kids of parents who are themselves illiterate should be assisted (I appreciate that this is easier said than done). In the meantime, they should be encouraged to improve their literacy so as to benefit their kids (it is never too late to learn).

Blessed   

Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn:

I will like to be a teacher,but only back in Africa,so i can whoop them kids' azzes
smile.gif

That means you want to be in a position to beat kids senseless rather than to teach them about consequences of wrong actions... icon_razz.gif

Another teacher here. I'm in Primary, Infant phase so I deal with a different kettle of fish.

Hassan_B   

I'm thinking of literacy improvement program for mainly Somalis, but open, to all Muslims. The problem, I can't do it for free, and you know that vast majority of people would never pay for such a thing. So it is a catch-22. This will only be feasible when we value education enough to take it seriously. That is how the Asians were able to achieve what they achieved because of the deep respect they have for education and discipline.

Oz   

Originally posted by Napoleon:

p.s I hope none of you are having sex with your students.

Originally posted by Napoleon:

There is a lot of horny teachers out there, ever read the news? This is especially true for lonely, young female teachers.
icon_razz.gif

Dude, where's the stove? Cooking some beans >ese<. :D:D

PS:The best teachers teach from the heart, not from the book.

A cross-eyed teacher can keep twice the number of children in order than any other, because the pupils do not know who she's looking at.

:D

Kulmiye   

you guys are punch of great minds! I really enjoyed reading your input to the subject. I am actually a education major with just year to go, and i have to say that you guys offer a intelligent input in all levels. Bravo! Qalbiyo laga faa'iidaysto ayaad tihiin wlahay:)

BiLaaL   

I'm thinking of literacy improvement program for mainly Somalis, but open, to all Muslims. The problem, I can't do it for free, and you know that vast majority of people would never pay for such a thing. So it is a catch-22.

This is a widespread view but an incorrect one. In fact, most parents would be willing to place their kid(s) into any program which they believe would benefit their educational needs and pay for it. The problem is that Somali parents (or any parent for that matter) are sceptical about such programs and do not rush into signing their kids up until the program proves its worth. Frankly, i don't blame the parents for this. I have seen many programs, started by well-intentioned people in our community, which have failed on many basic fronts from inception and then cease within months.

This is where the real dilemma lies. Programs on the one hand require funds and time to mature; but on the other hand, finding enough parents willing for their kids to participate in those critical few weeks is often difficult.

Those intending to start education programs to benefit our community should not be deterred. Commence your programs but bear in mind that it may not receive a positive response instantly. Parents will only respond to programs which prove their worth and make a real difference to their childrens' educational outcomes.

This will only be feasible when we value education enough to take it seriously. That is how the Asians were able to achieve what they achieved because of the deep respect they have for education and discipline.

I'm sorry to say but this is yet another fallacy. Education is valued in our community. Somali parents are as eager to see their children succeed as any other parent. Parents of other nationalities (e.g. Asian parents) are often in communities which have better resources than ours. Such parents are in a better position to ensure that their children reach their full potential.

In a nutshell, the issue is not one of respect or lack of respect for education. It is that one parent is in a position to translate the value and respect they have for education into results while another parent is not in a position to do so.

ps - There are many other fallacies surrounding the issue of education in Somali communities right across the diaspora. Somali educators with a real interest in serving their community should dispel such fears and get down to work.

Hassan_B   

Bilaal, masha-Allah. Jazaka-Allahu-khairan for your input. This discussion is actually going better than expected. So please continue.

Bilaal, can you give us perhaps some guidelines into avoiding common pitfalls and make a stable program.

BiLaaL   

Hassan, I haven't attempted to start a program myself. What I have written above are things I've observed from programs started by others. It is hard to give specific guidelines as much will depend on the prevailing environment in your specific locality.

Here are some common mistakes to avoid:

1. Failing to undertake proper research which can lead one to underestimate the difficulty of the task:

Study the local Somali population well - i.e. approximate number of children, age and year levels etc. More detailed info on the achievements of Somali students according to year level can also be gathered from the concerned schools - of course without directly identifying the pupils. Published research concentrating on the educational outcomes of your local Somali community, carried out by local councils or other organizations can also be of use.

2. Attempting to do too much too soon:

Choose a specific year level to teach with a limited number of students at first. Do not overburden yourself. Do not succumb to pressure from parents wanting to enrol kids from different year levels. Perfect what you've started with before agreeing to enrol more students.

3. Failing to establish a baseline or not regularly reviewing set goals:

Establish a baseline for commencing students and review it regularly to ensure that improvement is taking place. Maintain quality and gradually increase standards (both in conduct and work) expected of students.

4. Not paying enough attention to mentoring:

Programs should not just be about assisting children with school work. They should also be about guiding and helping them mature. Children learn best from those they can most relate to. Try to recruit young Somali graduates or those nearing graduation. Most young Somali graduates want to contribute in some way - they just need to be called on to do so. They can also act as great mentors and role models.

Again, I'm not an expert in this field. I'm sure others here are able to provide better guidance on this issue. I hope this list helps in some way.