Sign in to follow this  
Hassan_B

Benefits of Being a Teacher

NGONGE   

This will get really exciting when the teachers start giving each other tips on their styles and dress sense. :D

Juxa   

i hate teachers, punch of lazy, overpaid, arrogant, good for nothing time wasters.

phewwwwwwwww that is just mine.

carry on, indeed aqoon la aan waa iftiin la aan

Juxa   

haa something like that :mad:

wait until i become something with atleast 6 titles and not the somali style titles yaah.

Malika, I've heard the importance of being fair and consistent many times, but I'm at a loss when it comes to practical application. Would it be fair to treat chronic disrupter and a good student who makes an honest mistake once in a blue moon with the same level of sterness?

Yes you would. You have to be consistant or you would lose control of the class. For instance, we have a classroom rule about not putting your head on the table. So everytime a student puts his/her head on the table to sleep during class, they have to eat lunch with me and miss goofing around with their friends. So it doesnt matter if the NICE kids does this or the DISRUPTER does it. I approach them the same and say "I'm sorry, but you know the rule. See you at lunch." The NICE kid will obviously not be happy. He or She will point out the fact they never misbehave. Something happened last night at home or they're sad. I will again apologize and point out that we set up these rules together and if I dont enforce it, I will be unfair.

Who decides what is fair? Adolescents that are constantly monitoring the teacher with their own view of fairness?

You cant just spring rules on them. There needs to be rules and consequences they agreed upon the first they've met you.

Please if you don't mind give me some examples, you too Chocolate&Honey, because I know that also not being uniform will make the chronic disrupters testy. "Ohh look, you won't punish him cause he's your favorite student." Many feel as if I have a personal grudge against them.

The favoritism is mostly in their head. You cant help it. They're kids. When they dont get their way, they'll accuse you. In America it is different. They'll accuse you of being RACIST even if you are from the same race or sexism even if you're the same sex. It makes me laugh when a black student tells me I'm racist for favoring the Latino kid.
:D

Napoleon   

I feel bad for teachers, especially high school teachers, I remember we gave them a hard time back in high school, even made one teacher cry. The best teachers are stern ones, who don't take shit from their pupil.

p.s I hope none of you are having sex with your students.

chubacka   

organisation is the key, have plan b, c and d. These are kids after all. I found this was half the battle.

Don't threaten sanctions if you are not prepared to follow them through.

Smile! smile.gif

and finally if you're in the UK, job hunt, moan, get resources and generally survive teaching on the Tes.

http://www.tes.co.uk/Home.aspx

Haatu   

poor teachers. I remember once in Secondary school, a boy in my class through his bag at this girl, but missed. He hit our pregnant teacher on the nose. Miskiinta sey u naxdey. She thought he had hit her on the belly.

Napoleon   

Chocolate&honey

There is a lot of horny teachers out there, ever read the news? This is especially true for lonely, young female teachers. icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Haatu:

poor teachers. I remember once in Secondary school, a boy in my class through his bag at this girl, but missed. He hit our pregnant teacher on the nose. Miskiinta sey u naxdey. She thought he had hit her on the belly.

lool.

Hassan_B   

Again thank you all. You really do have much more patience than I or perhaps you work at better schools than the one I work at.

I teach all boys. It seems that teaching in America, especially in public schools, is akin to babysitting. Many of the students I have, the vast majority of them, don't know the basics of what they should've known in 6/7 grade. I have juniors who don't know how to add, subtract, divide, and multiply fractions where as the state expects them to be taught algebra 2/precalculus and because of that the parents do expect that as well? It is very sad. It seems that parents don't answer that their children are not going to benefit from math and science taught in English when their children don't know english well enough to understand concepts or read the questions and understand what the questions are asking for let alone apply knowledge they didn't receive. This I found to be a big problem for a big chunk of my students it is problem for the vast majority to a lesser degree. Those who do well are those who can read and comprehend what they read properly. I feel very sad for the future of our communities and poor inner city children.

Is any teacher here involved in any efforts to remove illiteracy from our communities?

Salaam Guys...

Great topic...I normally do a lot of reading on S/Online but contribute little to the forum perhaps that will change soon!

Having been a teacher in inner city schools for a number of years I can write a book about the valuable experience that I have gained.

Behaviour: Inner city schools are riddled with young children with behavioural and emotional difficulties. You can read all the books and strategies on behaviour management and go to all the training sessions and you will still struggle to control a class of 30 rowdy kids. I believe effective behaviour management ultimately comes down to experience and knowing your kids well, establishing a relationship which is based on mutual respect ( I’m the teacher and you are the student…I’m the boss and I’m in control). In my school we often get SAS, usually 3rd year undergraduates from India and they are always shocked and horrified with the behaviour of the kids but I suppose they will be when they compare it against their country, where the teacher is both the judge and the jury and they command so much respect.

As for what I enjoy about teaching. I think not everybody can become a teacher, you have to have within certain qualities. Likewise, it’s fulfilling when I see students that I have taught getting top grades across the board and then go off top colleges and universities.

As for the holidays it’s great, 13 weeks of the year, although apart from the summer holidays there is always something to do, nevertheless, it means that I’m off the same time as my kids and I get to spend some quality time with the family.

Wa’salaam

Zafirah   

I think gender matters, especially to children I always found I was mostly respected by boys then girls. Girls challenged me and found it difficult to follow my instructions. My experiences have been that boys whilst they can at times be loud and disruptive, they also for some reason warm up to me much more quicker then girls.

These are my experiences anyway smile.gif