Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Rally Against Ethiopian Occupation, Washington D.C., July 10, 2008

Castro   

I reckon not as good as it could have been. When some of us can't bring themselves to call the Ethiopian presence an occupation, it's tough to convince them to come out and rally against it. A house divided, remember?

Still, there are those true sons and daughters of Somalia who came from far away places to be heard. May Allah reward them for their efforts.

Haneefah   

Originally posted by Castro:

When some of us can't bring themselves to call the Ethiopian presence an occupation

Not only are they unable to recognize it as such, but they deliberately cheer for it whilst taking pride in the spilling blood of their brethren. Rabbina yassir.

Baashi   

I do. But why are folks divided? Is it because some are Muslims and the rest are infidels? Is it because some hate to be free and yearn for an Ethiopian occupation? Awoowe halkay bay iska qaban la'adahay?

Castro   

Originally posted by Baashi:

But why are folks divided?

That's the ultimate question, saaxib. I can speculate but I do not have an answer. I pray, however, that this is not a permanent division. And that we've only temporarily lost our collective minds.

Originally posted by Haneefah:

Not only are they unable to recognize it as such, but they deliberately cheer for it whilst taking pride in the spilling blood of their brethren. Rabbina yassir.

Frankly, a very small minority does this and I convince myself they're only doing so because there desire for revenge blinds them to anything else.

Rabbi yassir indeed.

Baashi   

The fact of the matter is that Somalis fought a tragic and devastating civil war. That civil war still rages. No side was able to prevail and claim a decisive victory. All the effort to bring the decade old enmity to a close failed.

Awoowe Somalis are divided along clan lines. It is a fact. Animosity between the clans runs deep. So deep that Ethiopia was able to play warring clans against each other for its own ends. It is not a mystery boowe.

The fight will go on. Folks will take sides. Warring clans will try to prevail the war by any means necessary including allowing old foe and historical rival to run amok in Somali national seat. It is ugly. But it is the nature of wars. That's where unresolved conflict end up.

Protesters in Potomac land are better off to emphasize the need for addressing the root cause of the conflict. If that were to happen Ethiopia will be like a fish deprived of water. It lives and thrives on Somali conflict.

Fabregas   

quote:Protesters in Potomac land are better off to emphasize the need for addressing the root cause of the conflict. If that were to happen Ethiopia will be like a fish deprived of water. It lives and thrives on Somali conflict.

And, how would "protester" address the root of the Somali Conflict, ya Baashi?

Castro   

Originally posted by Baashi:

Awoowe Somalis are divided along clan lines. It is a fact. Animosity between the clans runs deep. So deep that Ethiopia was able to play warring clans against each other for its own ends. It is not a mystery boowe.

No one disputes the fact that divisions along clan lines exist. Why do they exist though? And why are they so deep? Why now? These are the questions to which there are no simple answers. I'm glad it's no mystery to you though. Furthermore, to reduce a centuries old conflict with Abyssinia to a mere clan feud among Somalis is a little simplistic, wouldn't you say?

money   

the root cause of our conflict is lack of ...water ...basic human needs ...lack of leadership and vision...and above all lack of education... social and intellectual capital... nomadic warrior culture of violence and war.

Why people who got perhaps the longest coastline in Africa are dying for starvation? can't at least the fishermen double their production and save their brethren? If we don't eat fish, why not develop processing plants and export the fish? I heard that Somali coast has the best lobsters?

But we can have pirates with RPGs who will hijack ships, vessels and small boats of the coast and then ask for ransom. No body taught us how to be productive and peaceful. You are taught to fight, steal and kill to survive? why? it is the nomadic life...the Somalis who settled in cities, towns , the ones who have sedentary farming lifestyles are all the peaceful and most productive ones in somalia. Why we don't let these cool Somalis lead us? geeljirayaal waa na gabteen oo na gabagabeeyseen ee saaxiibayaaloow naga ganbisadda.