Sign in to follow this  
asha aviv

how many laguages do u often hear in the somali language

Taliban   

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

I can't believe people in here are actually saying Af-May May is not Somali. Amazing.

Somalia had two official languages (Af-Maay & af-Soomaali) until 1972, when then Barre government determined that af-Soomaali would be the official written (Latin-based script) language in Somalia. Could Af-Maay and af-Soomaali be the same language and at the same time be two distinct official languages? At this time, there are some (limited) similarities between Af-Maay and af-Soomaali, and it's due to the fact af-Maay has been isolated and relegated to a second status since 1972, while forced "Somalizing" has taken a toll on it.

Che, qofkaan markii beentii hore lagu qabtay, which surely made him quite quiet, he proposes another blatant been to mislead dadka aan waxba ogeyn.

Soomaaliya did NOT have two official Soomaali "languages" in '60s, a language that did not even had orthography by then.

Afmaay was played on national, though local, Idaacadda Xamar [Radio Muqdisho], a decision made by ruling nationalist SYL in order cool some qabiil-based parties that advocated a greater region autonomy and federalism, prominent one being C/qaadir Soobe's XDM.

The Kacaan regime discontinued and tried to centralize competing lahjado, especially Afmaxaa and Afmaay. And since it wasn't a democratic, it could do as it wished.

Soomaaliya, however, now has official Soomaali language [not Soomaali languages] recognized in the interim constitution of this dowlad ku sheeg functions in that was made in Nairobi. It is on there, read it. This time it specifically mentions Soomaali being an official language, which is Afmaay and Afmaxaa .

What is "Soomaalinized" when both are one language? Is he telling us "Shaatigaduud" is a "Soomaalinized" name? :D Or Xaabsade [Haabsade in Afmaay] is a "Soomaalinized" name? Or that Saransoor [suronsoor] is "Soomaalinized" name?

Or or gobollada iyo degmooyinka Baay [a tree name], Luuq [Luug, an Afmaay word and used by Southerners as well, not jiiro of Afmaxaa], Xudur [Hudur], Waajid [Weejid], Ceelbarde [Eelbardi], Afgooye, Baardheere, Daynuunaay [which was lately in the news, pronounced Dooynuuneey in Maay, however], Saakoow, Qoryooleey, Kuunyobaroow -- all named by locals, who speak Afmaay, long before there was dowlad Kacaanka timid the scene.

In fact, Afmaay, being an interior, saved Afmaxaa from the overwhelming from shisheeye words that diluted much of Afmaxaa.

Such an example is horseed [vanguard]. 'Seed' is a Maay word, meaning "going forward." Its closest Afmaxaatiri counterpart is hormuud/mood.

There is a reason why you find in everyday use the Afmaay words hiraab [morning], har-ti [man], gaal [camel] and some others I can't recall now in Afmaxaatiri qabiil names, but not in Afmaxaa dialect itself, which lost them long ago. That alone tells you Afmaay's preservation rate is much stronger than Afmaxaa. Perhaps Afmaay "Soomaalinized" Afmaxaatiri, no? :D

Taliban   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

Luuq [Luug, an Afmaay word and used by Southerners as well, not jiiro of Afmaxaa]

Please correct me; are you saying "Luuq" (of Afmaay) has the same meaning of "jiiro" (of Afmaxaa)? In short, are you saying "Luuq"="jiiro"?

Taliban   

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

gaal [camel]

I am sorry, but "gaal" doesn't mean camel in af-Soomaali; it means Christian or non-Muslim.

MMA.....Taliban muran luu haayaa.

And speaking of preservation of the Somali tongue, the two words I gave you are from a book written by guy from SomaliGalbeed. Here is the word Roob-Laan in context,

Ragda xeebta taalliyo bakhtiga, radadu keenayso adduunyada rogmeyseen naflaha, rubuc u soo cayman daaraha ruqaayee midfaca, lagu rayaasayo roob-laanadaa kici intaan, waagu kala roorin nin rafaadka moog baad tahoo, raaso beegso leh

Apperently, Roob-Laan means diyaarad. N this is what poet who recite this poem regarding world war II called the planes that were used by Ingiriis and Talyaaniga.

Candho-Qoys is second month the Gu season when xoolaha naxaan lana aqalgalo.

Iam just rediscovering the language. It is beautiful and rich language.

I don't know much May May, but I do understand if I listen well when people start talking it. My better half speaks May May even though she was born and raised in Xamar Caddeey. The May May itself I understand is very rich and diverse, and some dialects can't followed by your average Maxaa tiri speaker. There are so many dialects within Somali May May.

I hear the word Magaalo= City comes from the greek Magaalo

Even water Bio (life) in greek is similar to ours in Somali.

But it is well known that greeks have 25% E3b paternal Y-chromosomes which comes directly from East africa.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

There are so many dialects within Somali May May.

That's confusing and baffling. I can understand dialects within a language, but dialects within a dialect? :confused:

Dialect:

1. Linguistics. a variety of a language that is distinguished from other varieties of the same language by features of phonology, grammar, and vocabulary, and by its use by a group of speakers who are set off from others geographically or socially.

2. a provincial, rural, or socially distinct variety of a language that differs from the standard language, esp. when considered as substandard.

3. a special variety of a language: The literary dialect is usually taken as the standard language.

4. a language considered as one of a group that have a common ancestor: Persian, Latin, and English are Indo-European dialects.

5. jargon or cant.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dialect

The greeks

Have East African Y-chromosomes around 25% of their population. That means thousands of years ago somebody from East africa and maybe his buds went to GREECE and parts of Europe such as Italy and other countries to a lesser degree.

Originally posted by Puja:

^^ luuq and jiiro have the same meaning.

Dadka waa iska muran jecelyihiin, walaashiis. Waxba ha u bixin. Jiiro iyo luuq iska dhaaf xataa gaal iyo geel hal erey ah iskumid ma'aha uu keenay, xataa micnaha iyo meeshee gaal kasoo jeedo muuna garan, sababta ugu wacan waxee tahay muran aan micno ku fadhin ayuu wadaa, mida koowaad ahba af lahjad ah uuna garan, mid uu ku hadil karin, uu isku dhexwalaaqooyaa.

Tusaale, ereyga gaal and why it acquired to mean 'unbeliever' later in Soomaali language, he completely has no knowledge of it or no tixraac. If he did, he wouldn't have separated gaal and geel to mean different things.

Gaal has had one original meaning, which is geel, and it predates geel, which derived from gaal. The speakers of Afmaay use it to this day. So are our cousins Soomaali Aboow [Oromo]. Why it later acquired to mean anyone who wasn't Islamically believer, baliis read on.

In ancient times, the only closest shisheeye Soomaalida knew and interacted daily with were Oromada, who were then and still known as Gaallo -- a nickname they acquired because of their bountiful geelka ay dhaqdaan. Since being the only shisheeye Soomaalida knew that time, they called them their name, Gaallo. It never had any religious connotation in this early days. It, however, did indeed acquire some aspects of religious tone since a considerable Oromos were not Muslims and Soomaalida were becoming increasingly associated with Islaam.

Thus, overtime, any newcomer to any Soomaali dhul was a 'gaal.' It later, too, went another evolution to specifically denote or refer European colonials who arrived. To this day, we have some Soomaalis who struggle to not name a Muslim caddaan gaal, since gaal and Europeans at one time were inseparable.

Iam just rediscovering the language. It is beautiful and rich language.

I don't know much May May, but I do understand if I listen well when people start talking it. My better half speaks May May even though she was born and raised in Xamar Caddeey. The May May itself I understand is very rich and diverse, and some dialects can't followed by your average Maxaa tiri speaker. There are so many dialects within Somali May May.

Waa runtaa, runtii, Che. Soomaalida waa af aad u hodan ah. Unfortunately, not many of us realize or appreciate how deep our language is. This is why aan u dabagalaa Afsoomaali these days, anything to do with it.

It is rich to find or create new words that need translations from other languages. The prefix and suffix of doon, diid, soor, weyn, gaab, dheer, is, war, san, ka, ku, sa-de, to say a few of them; Soomaali language, considering how underdeveloped and neglected it is, surprisingly can create any new word that needs to be translated, without ever needing borrowed foreign words. You know jaamacaddii Gaheyr had a kuliyad that was dedicated for creating newly scientific words or others that needed translated to Soomaali. Alas, we lost much of them. This kuliyad created the words such as warbaahin, warfaafin, wariye, wargeys, etc, to only illustrate how rich the prefix war is. It also created Kacaan words of 'hawlwadaag, hantiwadaag, hantisoor, wadajir...'

[some of us unfortunately aren't comfortable, instead are happy to use foreign-based words like 'saxaafada,' instead of warbaahin; 'saxafi' instead of wariye; 'joornaal/jaraa'id,' instead of wargeys, to list a few examples.]

Yes, also, Afmaay is as diverse as Afmaxaa. The easiest one is found at Afgooye, which, as the name of town indicates itself [Af-gooy] seems equal to consist both Maay and Maxaatiri words, though Afmaay slightly has a bit more original and the speakers call it still Afmaay. The more you go into interior, the purer the Afmaay gets until you reach Baardheere and Luuq. The purest Afmaay, it is said, is spoken not in Baydhabo -- which had a considerable Afmaxaatiri speakers before the war, though they as well spoke Afmaay, a one influenced by Afmaxaa -- but outside of it, villages and degmooyinka that encircle it.

The closest Afmaxaatiri dialect to Afmaay is Afbanaadiri. It has so many Maay words that isn't found other Afmaxaa dialects. The closest second is afka Muuse Suudi Yalaxoow or Odey Cabdulle ku hadlaan, I don't know waxaa ku dhaho, inkastoo dadka qaarkiis dhahaan Afxaayoow, which is offensive.