galbeedi

Garacad port is a great lesson for Somalis every where

6 hours ago, Samafal said:

What is the depth of Berbera port?

The old port was designed to accommodate US military ships with draft clearance of up to 15m. For example, the US Navy "USNS Ponchatoula (T-AO-148)" docked at the port in early 1980s. This ship has 11m draft clearance. 

However, since 1990s the old Port has not been maintained to its former standards. So currently only ships upto 10m draft are allowed to dock. A dredging and repairs works are scheduled in the next few years.

The newer Container Terminal port can accommodate Mother container Ships with upto 18m draft.  

image.png.d8f969948aeac1174eedd3d66b9ea599.png 

Illyria   

I bought a small piece of land (100 x 150) from an old friend from the area in 2018, and paid a fraction of what I paid for 40 x 35 in outer skirts of Hargeisa in 2007, but I am sure a lot has changed since then; I shall ask a local land broker in Garacad as to the going rate per sq ft now, bearing in mind the locals go by per lot.

I have no idea how the relationship dynamics of Deni vs Madoobe are.

7 hours ago, galbeedi said:

n terms of Gaeacad, the first stage is even much better than Boosaaso. Certaily this port is for the future. Those who built it are targeting for Ethiopia mostly. I agree with you that Boosaaso will certainly lose business. The advatage Boosaaso has is it is very close to Yemen, Cuman and the gulf. It could service these nations with livestock trade and small marchendise, but big container freight will go to Garacad. Also, unlike Boosaaso, Garacad has the climate of the Indian ocean like Mogadishu which will atract more people. Boosaaso is unbearable during the summer months. Boosaaso is already dysfuctional due to the gread of Puntland leaders by pocketing few millions and giving the shop to the corrupt Arabs.

Trade & Business are universal. They are attracted by 1. Fees/Charges they pay 2. Quality of Service (including time, ease of doing business) 3. Policy/Politics. 

It is going to be a given that Bosaso will lose businesses, specially the Mudug businesses who had to track their goods on longer distances. Garacad may also win some businesses from Mogadishu Port specialy from GalMudug. However, this depends on how price and politics. 

With regards to Ethiopia, this is a far fetched dream. Livestock from Somali Region go to Berbera Port, not because it is closer, but because the market exists. Unless Garacad businesses compete on the market with the deep pocketed Hargeisa & Burco traders, there is little chance they will have any dent on this trade. 

The other interesting aspect to this is how Garowe will react to a further eroding of its state coffers. We know from the Financial Reports  the income from Bosaso Port has been declining for the last number of years.  So it will be interesting how Garowe authority reacts to Bosaso income diminishing even further and having to share port fees in Garacad with private investors. 

Samafal   
11 hours ago, baala xoofto said:

The old port was designed to accommodate US military ships with draft clearance of up to 15m. For example, the US Navy "USNS Ponchatoula (T-AO-148)" docked at the port in early 1980s. This ship has 11m draft clearance. 

However, since 1990s the old Port has not been maintained to its former standards. So currently only ships upto 10m draft are allowed to dock. A dredging and repairs works are scheduled in the next few years.

The newer Container Terminal port can accommodate Mother container Ships with upto 18m draft.  

image.png.d8f969948aeac1174eedd3d66b9ea599.png 

Garacad depth with the current two berths are 12m, deeper than both Bebera and Mogadishu that is before any dredging as it is naturally in deeper waters. The remaining two berths under construction  are designed to handle big oil tankers with up to 17m depth. 

Samafal   
10 hours ago, baala xoofto said:

Trade & Business are universal. They are attracted by 1. Fees/Charges they pay 2. Quality of Service (including time, ease of doing business) 3. Policy/Politics. 

It is going to be a given that Bosaso will lose businesses, specially the Mudug businesses who had to track their goods on longer distances. Garacad may also win some businesses from Mogadishu Port specialy from GalMudug. However, this depends on how price and politics. 

With regards to Ethiopia, this is a far fetched dream. Livestock from Somali Region go to Berbera Port, not because it is closer, but because the market exists. Unless Garacad businesses compete on the market with the deep pocketed Hargeisa & Burco traders, there is little chance they will have any dent on this trade. 

The other interesting aspect to this is how Garowe will react to a further eroding of its state coffers. We know from the Financial Reports  the income from Bosaso Port has been declining for the last number of years.  So it will be interesting how Garowe authority reacts to Bosaso income diminishing even further and having to share port fees in Garacad with private investors. 

It is not about one port taking another's, it is about increasing capacity. Bosaso port was at some point in time supplying as far as Burco and was port of choice for most of the Somali traders and business people. But since then Somali economy has became larger and it is needed a port that can handle many ships at same time to unload cargo as soon as possible so as to increase ship's turnaround time. Currently ships wait longer to unload because the port can only handle one large ship at a time. 

Also Ethipia's economy is growing 5% to 10% and would need more ports as the demand increases. Garacad would supply via Wardheer corridor which if you listened to Abtigiis yesterday there are big infrastructure development going on there including two high ways that would link them to Tuurdubi, the dry port terminal between Somali state and Puntland.  So therefore Garacad would complement Bosaso and not take anything away from it.

16 hours ago, Illyria said:

I bought a small piece of land (100 x 150) from an old friend from the area in 2018, and paid a fraction of what I paid for 40 x 35 in outer skirts of Hargeisa in 2007, but I am sure a lot has changed since then; I shall ask a local land broker in Garacad as to the going rate per sq ft now, bearing in mind the locals go by per lot.

I have no idea how the relationship dynamics of Deni vs Madoobe are.

Thanks 

4 hours ago, Samafal said:

It is not about one port taking another's, it is about increasing capacity. Bosaso port was at some point in time supplying as far as Burco and was port of choice for most of the Somali traders and business people. But since then Somali economy has became larger and it is needed a port that can handle many ships at same time to unload cargo as soon as possible so as to increase ship's turnaround time. Currently ships wait longer to unload because the port can only handle one large ship at a time. 

Also Ethipia's economy is growing 5% to 10% and would need more ports as the demand increases. Garacad would supply via Wardheer corridor which if you listened to Abtigiis yesterday there are big infrastructure development going on there including two high ways that would link them to Tuurdubi, the dry port terminal between Somali state and Puntland.  So therefore Garacad would complement Bosaso and not take anything away from it.

We still have camel raiders mentality. One has to lose in order for the other to gain.

Illyria   

The Somali territories are prime to grow, and develop with the border between Somali peoples eventually becoming irrelevant, as seen in my recent trips from  Xamar, Hargeysa, Bosaso,  Kismayo to Jigjiga. Was disappointed at Wajeer.

It is a long, arduous recovery trek, but Somalis finally seem to be turning a corner. Our future depends on it. As people, we are left behind. Time to catch up. Build together.

A word of warning to the online warrior commentators in the West, go home, see the reality on the ground, help where you can, and be part of the development.

Illyria   

Land / lot rate in Garacad:

According to a local land broker, a 20 x 20 lot, in the old city, begins at 5,000 US dollars. Land by the beach is no longer for sale 'cos the local city council is busy with town planning, and for now lots has been placed on hold. In general though, lots by the beach is triple that of the town centre, unless of course one is local, or connected, in which case, it is negotiable. Be ware of the "dilaaliinta".

Adjunct:

What makes Garacd different from other port cities I have seen is that in a few miles, livestock is all around the city from "geel" to "adhi" of its different kinds. On the other direction, sea food is aplenty. Its weather is beautiful unlike Bosaso, Berbera, and Jabouti.

Its biggest challenge is erosion, and sand dunes. I do hope the locals begin planting trees, and building levies against sand dunes. if not, and with climate change being what it is, city might be buried under sand in the near future. 

galbeedi   
3 hours ago, Illyria said:

Its biggest challenge is erosion, and sand dunes. I do hope the locals begin planting trees, and building levies against sand dunes. if not, and with climate change being what it is, city might be buried under sand in the near future

Sand dunes are even present in the  fertile coast of Lower Shabbelle. The best answer is planting trees and more trees. The bigger problem is soil ersion for coastal properties which needs the effort of the local government.

9 hours ago, Illyria said:

A word of warning to the online warrior commentators in the West, go home, see the reality on the ground, help where you can, and be part of the development.

We the diaspora are  just talk. We might have some good ideas, but without being in the ground, it is all water under the bridge. Today, I had a coffee with a member of federal  parliament from Puntland and he told me about his visit to Garacaf in 2019. 

He explained to me the efforts of the current Puntland president Saciid Deni who contributed more than $7 million dollars from the government to build the port. He also said that Gaalkacayo was a dangerous city for the last 10 years where hundreds of its best citizens were murdered before C/laahi Deni pacified. Furthermore, he built the 240 KM highway between Galkacay and Garoowe , the huge roads and infrastructure in Garoowe city and many more.

I asked him, if that is the case why we have been all badmouth this capable man throughout these years? 

I ask our friends B Xoofto and Xaaji when was the last time a 50 or 100km road was built in Somaliland other than Bebera to Hargeisa road. We have been waiting Djibouti --Borama road for 30 years.

Anyway, if Puntland keeps builds infrastructure in this pace, trade and wealth will flow.

Illyria   
On 10/23/2022 at 9:02 PM, galbeedi said:

the current Puntland president Saciid Deni who contributed more than $7 million dollars from the government to build the port. He also said that Gaalkacayo was a dangerous city for the last 10 years where hundreds of its best citizens were murdered before C/laahi Deni pacified. Furthermore, he built the 240 KM highway between Galkacay and Garoowe , the huge roads and infrastructure in Garoowe city and many more.

Truth be told, I hardly pay attention to politics, for it is a complete waste of time, esp. Somali politics, which is an insult to human intelligence. I could say Deni inherited those projects, and has done well in their implementation. He is a f*cking lunatic with tyrannical tendencies judging from the Bosaso incident alone. Out of pure stupidity, if memory serves me right, he is the only leader to have caused a bloody confrontation in that peaceful city.  

Illyria   
On 10/24/2022 at 9:34 AM, Che -Guevara said:

Some of my folks bought plots from locals. They tried to screw us. Garacad has a great potential.

O' yes, be ware of the "dilaaliin", for they will try to sell you the moon in a broad daylight.