Che -Guevara

Can the nomadic Somali be turned into a farmer?

cadnaan1   

Abdi ileey was trying to do that to force nomads to settle permanently and start farming along the shabelle river.

The whole Somalia should that program for nomads they will be more productive.

Haatu   

It's more than possible and I've seen it done. But the problem is lack of adequate access to markets and the fact that most of the produce is harvested at the same time so wholesale prices plummet. And not to mention the sabotaging by the UN in the form of "food aid".

All aid agencies should be banned during years of good rain. If that were to be done we would quickly see the country become self sufficient.

• Thanks 1

That is the future I guess.Nomadic lifestyle is unsustainable. Specially when rains have become sporadic, droughts recurrent and also the political environments is becoming less conducive to easy movement of people and animals.  

At the same time, agri-tech is becoming cheaper and more available to the small scale farmers. These are technologies that were once in the domain of the big boys in town with deep pockets. The know-how and the knowledge about new ways and methods of farming are becoming accessible to a lot of people. 

So it is inevitable that settled farming will win the day. For instance, camel farming is becoming more and more popular thesedays. It is more profitable when they are in a farm where they feed and water are guaranteed. They will give you guaranteed milk output and one can plan their finances accordingly. 

A man who returned from the diaspora came up with an innovative new way of farming. He rents only she-camels that are milking from nomads. The nomads get a guaranteed monthly income from their she-camel without worrying about the feed, water or health of the animal. This guy now has more than 5,000 she-camels that he doesn't own but rents them all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cadnaan,

The Iley program was rather politically tainted and forced.

Haatu,

Considering Somalis import everything, we can start with local markets until we find other markets.

Suldaanka,

That is a great idea. Every innovation helps. Eventually, hope there might be a way to turn nomads to ranchers.

Dear Maakhiri,

Good thing you weren't present when the original 13 SYL founders had their first meeting:

Sakhawidiin: So, what should be the ultimate goal of the Somali Youth Club (initial name) be?

Dhere Haji Dhere: Independence.

Maakhiri: Pipe dream

Founders: Get out of here,

• Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

gooni   

Reer guuraagu waa dad caafimaad iyo socod badan
Waxay qabaan labo dhibaato kaliya

Hubka oo ay si xad dhaafa u haystaan

Dabar goynta dhirta oo ay dhulkii xaalufiyeen.

Labadaa arimood hadii xal loo helo way faa'iidayaan waana laga faa'iidi

Beeraleydu hilibku waa u lagama maarmaan.

Xoolo dhaqataduna galaydu iyo digirtu waa u lagama maarmaan.

Kaluumaysatadu waa sidoo kle

Ilaha dhaqaalaha mid walbaa ahmiyad gaara bay leedahay waana loo wada baahan-yahay.

Nasiib darada jirta waxay tahay aqoonyahankoodii siyaasad wax dumisa un bay barteen, ama waaba ajnabi qoraxdu dhibayso oo guri gaal marti ku ah.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Che -Guevara said:

Dear Maakhiri,

Good thing you weren't present when the original 13 SYL founders had their first meeting:

Sakhawidiin: So, what should be the ultimate goal of the Somali Youth Club (initial name) be?

Dhere Haji Dhere: Independence.

Maakhiri: Pipe dream

Founders: Get out of here,

It just happens to be 15th May today. Toddobaatan iyo toddobo sano ayaa ka soo wareegatay aasaaskii SYL.

Guys, happy May 15th.

Anyway, I am not pessimist, by realist.  The dream by those young men is far more attainable,  for simple two things, The  locals must be happy with local produce first, second, the Somalis  must also happy and content on their great land, and willing to do the hard work.

I don't see anyone of that, I see majority of people want get rich quick scheme, or tahriib.

Nomadic life, is no more, and good riddance, 

galbeedi   

Lately in my line of work I was dealing with agricultural products. 

unless you see in person,  you wouldn't believe how many thousands of products come from the agriculture sector. Liquid eggs in a container, frozen butter in boxes, produce : banana, strawberry, apple, beach, blubbery and any kind of fruit frozen and marketed from around the globe. Ten or more types of wheat for bread, pasta, and between.  I have seen these frozen fruits coming from Turkey, Poland and Latin America.

Folks, we might not even get enough workforce to produce these agricultural products if we mass produce.

2 hours ago, maakhiri1 said:

Nomadic life, is no more, and good riddance, 

Our nomads live how people used to live 2000 years ago. A barefooted man chasing a livestock worth thousands of dollars. It is the duty of those who rule to help people leave behind poverty and modernize what they have. A goat is worth $70 dollars, and the nomad is richer than the city dweller who earns $100 bdollar a month.

1 hour ago, galbeedi said:

Our nomads live how people used to live 2000 years ago. A barefooted man chasing a livestock worth thousands of dollars. It is the duty of those who rule to help people leave behind poverty and modernize what they have. A goat is worth $70 dollars, and the nomad is richer than the city dweller who earns $100 bdollar a month.

That lazy way of life ,no more, ummada Eebe meel kale raasaqad ha ka doontaan.

In meel degaan, instead of chasing rain, BETTER.