Sign in to follow this  
Nefertiti

Somali Folktale: Why women are smarter than men

This is a well-known folk tale which tells the truth :D Enjoy ladies and gentlemen.

OSMAN'S LESSON

Once upon a time, there lived a women named Amina and her daughter, Jamila. One day, Amina was on her way to the market when she passed the store of Osman. On the window of his shop, Osman put a sign which read : "Men are created smarter than women". Amina could not believe Osman would put up such a sign, so she entered the store to complain.

"Excuse me, but surely you know the sign is not true!" asked Amina.

"Oh yes, it is indeed true. Men are smarter than women. You women are good at having children but leave the important matters to us." Osman confidently assured.

"If you don't take down that sign by tomorrow, you'll be sorry." Amina warned.

"Ha ha ha!" laughed Osman, " What could you possibly do, you're just a woman!".

"You'll see just how smart we women are!"

On her way home, she began thinking of the best way to teach Osman a lesson. As she passed the palace of King Hassan, the idea came in a flash. She rushed home to tell her daughter, Jamila, about her brilliant plan.

The next day, Jamila entered Osman's shop on a mission of which he knew nothing. Already a beautiful girl, she had on her best clothes and perfume. Osman, who had never met Jamila, wondered who this mysterious lady was. She purchased a couple of items and engaged in small conversation with Osman. On her third visit to his store, Osman finally asked who she was.

"I am Sulekha, daughter of King Hassan." Jamila exclaimed.

"Impossible! The King's daughter is paralyzed and he never lets her out of the palace."

"That is what my father wants everyone in the kingdom to think. He wanted to protect me from men who want to marry me for only for my beauty and wealth."

"I would like to marry you for who you are Sulekha. Is that possible?"

"Oh yes, it is possible, but you have to follow my instructions carefully."

"Anything for you Sulekha" promised Osman.

Jamila went on to explain to Osman that when he went to the palace to ask for her, he must act as if he thinks she is paralyzed. That way, she assured, the King will assume Osman wants her for reasons of love. The next day, Osman rushed to seek an audience with King Hassan. After a long wait, he was finally ushered into the King's office.

"Your highness, it is with great respect that I come to ask for your daughter."

"Are you willing to marry my daughter, even with her condition? asked the King.

"Yes, I do. I will to take care of her and give her all that she asks." Osman promised.

"Very well, the wedding ceremony will take place in one weeks time."

In preparation for the wedding, Osman spent the next week purchasing all types of silks and fabric. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of his young bride, he ordered his first wife to move into the smaller room to be shared with their small children. He even suggested she move in with her mother for some time.

After the wedding ceremony, Osman was taken to the princess' room where he was told his new bride was waiting for him. He saw Sulekha sitting on the bed draped in a beautiful veil. When he lifted the veil, to his surprise he saw the face of a woman, paralyzed, who he had never met.

"Who are you? Where is Sulekha?" shouted Osman.

"What are you talking about? I am Sulekha." cried the princess, who was now very distraught.

Osman realized he had been deceived and was now stuck in a very difficult position. He could not go to the King and ask for a divorce, that might result in jail time or worse. So he told his new bride he had to go and prepare the house for her arrival. He left and went directly to his house to ponder a way out of this situation. Then a knock came at his door. When he opened it, he saw Amina and Jamila.

"How could you do something like this to me?" cried Osman.

"I did warn you about taking down that sign, and you ignored me." Amina explained.

"You have to get me out of this marriage!" Osman demanded.

"If men are so much smarter than women, then why are you asking me for help?"

Osman stubbornly refused to acknowledge that men are not smarter than women, so Amina and Jamila left his house. He asked for advice from some of his friends and no one could come up with a solution. Several days later, Osman ran into Amina and Jamila in town center. He begged Amina to help him find a way out of his predicament. She agreed to help him, with the following demands:

"Before we help you, you must permanently take down your sign and for one week, replace it with another sign stating woman are smarter than men" explained Amina.

"Anything. I'll do anything" pleaded Osman.

Following Amina's advice, Osman opened a haircut parlor for men in his store. Soon, it got back to the King that his son-in law was now a haircutter. He called Osman to the palace right away.

"I thought you owned a shop in town?" asked the King.

"I do, but now I have decided to become a haircutter."

"You can't be a hair cutter and be married to my daughter. I want you to divorce my daughter at once!"

In an instant, Osman was a free man. He took down his sign and never again doubted the intelligence of women.

Nefertiti

OG Moti   

the question should be ARE WOMEN SMARTER THAN MEN?

the answer is big NO good story but it seems it is made up story... by hatefull women... i did enyoyed it i always liked Fiction stories .. peace

I wouldn't say that all WOMEN are smarter than MEN and not all MEN are smarter than WOMEN but we both have those few odd ones that we rather not mention, the likes of ...never mind....

ppl are different regardless of their gender or sex and it is only ALLAH who is the smartest of all.

LuCkY   

NEFERTITI, NICE STORY-THANKS FOR SHARING.

YOU KNOW SHAKA I COULDNT AGREE WITH YOU ANY LESS.

AND I WONT BOTHER WITH THE LIKES OF CERTAIN IGNORANT PEOPLE. :eek: :mad:

BOB   

i don't agree wit you totaly coz what you wrote here dosen't make sence at all. by means i don't have time to read this. so make up your mind and try to write something that we can injoy to read

Qac Qaac   

waste of time, who cares who is smarter.

women men, it doesn't matter. men are smarter in someways, and women are smarter in some other ways. but i would say woman maybe are smarter than man, coz they never start a war in the world, always men was starting war. also our mothers are women, and no one here would agree that his or her mother was dumber then his or her dad. so let's respect each other.

Blessed   

I was reading some article taht said, that motherhood makes one smart.. as you'd be taking care of another and all! So, since out brothers are incapable of mtherhood, I guess they aren't blessed with the samrtness of mothers.

However, the story ^^^ doesn't prove that we are smarter but that we have the ability to manipulate men using our looks - (I don't know to what extent I like that) .. but men, are certainly weaker :D

~~~~~~~~~~~one 2 one 2

Men don't wear high heels and complain their feet hurt

Men don't cry at relationship movies

Men don't wear makeup

Men don't ask if their butt's too big, and get mad if you tell them the truth

Men can find a place without directions... even if it takes hours

Men don't get boob jobs to make their boob look bigger, then complain when someone stare at them

they aren't

All the above

They seek women as partners

All the above except they aren’t

Boys aren’t lesbians

Men don't realize that a poll like this won't change how she thinks of him

Men don't watch Sex and the City and relate to those four idiots as role models

men don't believe in love at first sight

Men aren't catty and manipulative

men can change the position of the toilet sit before sitting

Because men cum on the girls face, she can't shoot cum on ours

Because the IQ of 10 female is only worth 1 male.

men are dead sexy

This notion just backfires time and again

behind every good men, is a super women goddamnit..

Because men drive better.

Iffah   

MS- :confused:

Nefertiti...good story. It reminds me of that riwaayad, Aay Kutubeey or was it Abooto Kutubeey?

:D

Ladies, thanks for taking the time to read it, I saw it on a Nomads web site and thought it was interesting to share it with the rest of y'all. So cheers smile.gif .

Og_Moti:

the question should be ARE WOMEN SMARTER THAN MEN?

the answer is big NO good story

Moti this is not the One Million Dollar question, so there is NO need in wasting your breath like that..... But glad you liked it anyway smile.gif .

but it seems it is made up story...

Yes Moti, good boy...that is where the title Folkstory comes in....

BUUMAAYEE:

i don't agree wit you totaly coz what you wrote here dosen't make sence at all. by means i don't have time to read this.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with some one, that keeps our brain cells all healthy. What gets on my nerves is how ignorant you are. You see, what part of FOLKSTORY don't you understand????? :rolleyes: . It is not real.

Plus if you don't have any time to read it how do you know that it doesn't makes sense?? Are you psychic or something....errrrrr... I DOUBT IT. For future reference you read the whole post and then comment and also check your spelling. Had a hard time desiphering your reply.

so make up your mind and try to write something that we can injoy to read

We, who is we??? I didn't see anyone appointing you Somalia Online Spokes Man, so please speak for your self in the future.

Gediid   

Nefertiti

I actually heard this story in 3 different languages,English,Amahric and now Somali.Anyways what you have just done is base your theory on how smart women are on folklore but don't get me wrong you are right, women are smart but so are so many men out there.