Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Somali Festivals- - - - - - > NEED HELP!!!!!!!

Hey everyone. MY little sister in grade 3 has a mulitcultural project due Fri, May 14th.

She asked me for help, but Ive been stumped for a while and need help from you guys. THank you in advance.

Traditions:

1) Name one festival celebrated in that country (not Islamic festival, a cultural festival)

2) When is it?

3) Describe what it is and what people do

4) Describe any special foods or clothes

*** I went to the net and found such festivals as Roob-Doon and Dab-Shid but there are no details.

5)Name one major tourist attration in Somalia

(had problems with this one :confused: )

Currency:

1) Names of different denominations and their values

Foods:

1) Specail holiday foods (not rice, pasta, digir...please)

Salaan...

1) Name one festival celebrated in that country (not Islamic festival, a cultural festival)

Istunka*.

2) When is it?

Each year in July.

3) Describe what it is and what people do

Two bands or groups of men--from one side against the other--beat the hell out of one another with soft twigs or sticks in several minutes or hours in one day. It is for the upcoming Soomaali new year. It is believed if they don't do that at the end of the year, then in the upcoming new year the farms couldn't be harvest successfully, or the farms wouldn't be cultivated well at all. Also as the result of not doing it, the rivers would dry up.

4) Describe any special foods or clothes

For clothes, the participators usually wear white garments.

shirta_xamar_x3.jpg

shirta_xamar_x1.jpg

shirta_xamar_x2.jpg

shirta_xamar_x6.jpg

Don't worry, they are not beating one another. Demonstrating only for symbolic reasons.

5)Name one major tourist attration in Somalia (had problems with this one)

Tell your sister to tell her teacher if tourists can visit Soomaaliya, let alone any tourist attractions, she {your sister} would have witnessed the istunka safely in her own home back Soomaaliya.

1) Names of different denominations and their values

Since there is not such a recognized central government, there aren't many denominations now. However, we used to have the following denominations.

1) Specail holiday foods (not rice, pasta, digir...please)

Well, obviously xalwo, buskud and doolsho {the Soomaali-style delicious cake} are well-known, however they are other lesser knowns. Sisin, shushumoow, ninac loos, qumbe, bajiye and caano baraawe are such.

* Note: Istunka is not celebrated universally in Soomaaliya. Each region have had its own caadooyin, but istunka and few others, including dabshidka, are the remaining ones still practiced. Istunka is only practiced by reer Afgooye and those who happen to be its vicinity.

Asalaamu'Calaykum,

MMA LoooL man I thought you were kidding about Istunka, but you seem to have the pictures to prove it. Is there really such a tradition :confused: I’ve never heard of it. Please explain in more detail. Men beating each other with stick, sounds a little barbaric.

Wasalaam.

:D THANK U VERY MUCH FERO ARMAJO, MMA. :D

I never heard of this, but the pictures speak of themselves. Are there any other celebrations where people act *how shall I say this?" ........less barbaric :eek: ....and more civilized? I wouldnt want to scare those little kids :D

Xalimo7   

Wow this is very interesting, who said somalis don't know how to deal anger mgmt. But after seeing these pics i went and asked what part of somalia this actually happened,and i don't know if this is true or not ,am told only in the city called AFGOYE , have no clue where it is.But this is a great culture to know, are women also allowed to do this kind of beating, or only it is for men?