Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

Women's Kingdom

Deep in the hills of south western China lives a Buddhist community of 60,000 people called Mwa-Swa.

What makes this community unusual is the women's traditional attitude to sex and fidelity.

Mwa-Swa men and women believe in "walking marriage" – rather than the usual vows and commitments that bind two people together.

In a walking marriage the woman chooses whether to accept a man who walks into her room at night. But even if she agrees, the man has to be gone by morning.

Marriage ceremonies do not exist and the women refuse to even consider the option to commit to one man.

Despite the Mwa-Swa's reputation for sexual promiscuity, families of men and women in the more private villages form deeply loving relationships without the binds of marriage.

People look after each other and raising children is also on the responsibility of their uncles and aunts.

Sex tourism

These days tourists from all over China travel into the remote villages of Yunnan province, attracted by the prospect of sleeping with women according to the local custom. But this would-be sex tourism is now threatening the very fabric of an ancient community.

Mwa-Swa's popularity with men from out of town has turned some villages into tourist traps. But in the more isolated villages, local women still find this way of life empowering.

Surprisingly, there are also many women who travel from all around China to experience "walking marriages" with the local male population.

With tourism expanding into even the more remote villages in the region, the old ways seem set to change for ever. Locals feel that they are sacrificing their identity and culture for the financial gains of hosting tourists in their villages.

Xiaoli Zhou's film uncovers the finely balanced attitudes of respect and independence that sustain the ancient Mwa Swa Buddhist clan.

I wonder if they use any protections? With all the sex starving tourists pouring in to these small communities, STDs and other deceases will spread like a wild fire.

Ibtisam   

Sayid :eek: you are crazy.

This is crazy, aside from STDs, how do they know whose child is who. The father could be any number of guys who the women took in for a nyt in a given period. They must have a system for identifying :confused: Unless like the Arabs the women picks any guy she was with during the period the baby was conceived and he is forced to accept.

Miriam1   

OMG...isn't this fella (Sayid) a youth counsellor or something of the sort...dude your such a corrupt role model!

Heh. Culture funny stuff sometimes.

Mr-Peace   

Originally posted by Brofessor_Geeljire:

wth is wuxu sayid qoray? was it deleted? I dont see jack..........

He basically said that Cynical lady made this topic because she wanted Gheele T to come into her hut like the chineese women in the article. Very saqajaan comment on he's part.

Mr-Peace   

Ibtisam

I'm condemning the disgusting comments made Mr sayid somali, those comments have no place in this forum. They were misogynistic and uncalled for. I hope you agree with me walaal.

"if you live long enough you'll see camels give birth" - somali proverb

there is always first for everything. first time a post of mine has been deleted.

CL - You have my sincerest apology - it was mere distasteful joke in response to repugnant article. i hope you can forgive.

if you server on SOL long enough, you'll see saqajaan climbing high horse in order to get to higher moral ground - my proverb :cool: